It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy Balloons Become Part of the Afghanistan Landscape, Stirring Unease

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Spy Balloons Become Part of the Afghanistan Landscape, Stirring Unease

NY TIMES

KABUL, Afghanistan — The traders crouched beneath the walls of an old fort, hunkered down with the sheep and goats as they talked, eyes nervously flitting up from time to time at the blimp that has become their constant overseer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 063131p://5America/ChicagoTue, 15 May 2012 18:59:25 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is only going to come to the USA. First the drones were thier killing people indsicriminatnly and still doing so. Now come the spy baloons which hover for days on end. No wonder they hate us. We went over their for no reason, overthrew their government, installed a puppet, tell hem how to live theri lives and constantly monitor them. Winning over hearts and minds. Wow thats a good one.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have now cost 1.3 Trillion USD. That is more than the Vietnam and Korean wars combined. Ten more years and that cost may balloon up to 2 Trillion USD. WW2 was only 4 Trillion USD. Imagine a war that was not a world war for the USA but it cost that much money. Even if we look at the cost of the current war: 1.3 Trillion USD, that is still 25% the cost of WW2, and this is not even a world war..these are third world countries..embarrassing for the USA.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/world/asia/in-afghanistan-spy-balloons-now-part-of-landscape.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss]www.nytimes.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

This is only going to come to the USA. First the drones were thier killing people indsicriminatnly and still doing so. Now come the spy baloons which hover for days on end. No wonder they hate us. We went over their for no reason,

BS - NATO/US was there in response to the Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ - even Iran thought the attack was justified in the wake of 9/11!!

overthrew their government

Perhaps you've forgotten that there was still a civil war going on in Afghanistan at the time - plenty of Afghani's were happy to get rid of the Taliban!

I am embarrassed for your ignorance

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Because the wars are a scam for the Military industrial complex to get these new toys built, no one wants to buy f-22 or f-35 in peace time...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

rember they realy needed a amecianised banking system they were going extinct without one(sarcasm)
plus the CIA are geting some cracking heroin from there
edit on 15-5-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
1984?

Big Brother is watching you.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

BS - NATO/US was there in response to the Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ - even Iran thought the attack was justified in the wake of 9/11!!

If you didnt remember the 9/11 people were from Saudi Arabia. The afghanis and iraqis did not think it was justified. You are going to go and attack a country that has nothing to do with 9/11?

What is your reasoning for that?

Perhaps you've forgotten that there was still a civil war going on in Afghanistan at the time - plenty of Afghani's were happy to get rid of the Taliban!

I thought we went in there for 9/11? Or was it the taliban? Which is it? Why is it any of our business what the Taliban do..?

Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ

Was their proof of this? Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11. Only the hijackers and planners (OBL) did.
edit on 073131p://5America/ChicagoTue, 15 May 2012 19:22:25 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

If you didnt remember the 9/11 people were from Saudi Arabia. The afghanis and iraqis did not think it was justified. You are going to go and attack a country that has nothing to do with 9/11?

What is your reasoning for that?

You are confusing the nationality of the people involved with the location of their headquarters, leadership and support base - which were all in Afghanistan.

I thought we went in there for 9/11? Or was it the taliban? Which is it? Why is it any of our business what the Taliban do..?

boy talk about utterly irrelevant!

It seems you have a short memory - you might need reminding that what you actually said was "we overthrew their government" - my response was to that incorrect statement.

there was no single government in Afghanistan - therefore it was impossible to "overthrow their government" - it's pretty simple logic really and now I am REALLY embarrassed for you!

Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ

Was their proof of this? Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11. Only the hijackers and planners (OBL) did]

Oh dear - what world are you living in??

Well let's see - evidence for OBL and AQ being in Afghanistan?

How about the Taliban saying they were? At one point they even offered to put OBL on trial - even before 9/11, and again after 9/11??

Dear oh dear......you really should have remained silent rather than demonstrating such complete ignorance!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

He can't help it
He obviously has his own agenda as has been the case in many of his posts
He'll get totally shot down, go quiet for a few weeks them come back with the same toss

I like many don't even read his's threads anymore as its the usual uninformed blinker'd dribble he always rants about
Even when those that know what they are talking about, have been there, or informed of the reasoning behind certain events , try to explain that things are not as underhand and evil as he thinks

May I recommend you view a few of his older threads regarding things like this and you will see a pattern emerge

As for these balloons - their capabilities are classified however I have had radio feeds from their operators, visual feeds, defended them, recovered one when it was shot down, controlled one and been liaison to the teams that operate them

It is simply an asset in the serveilance and target acquisition role that helps track suspects observe large areas of ground to spot IED emplacement teams, rocket emplacement teams, armed groups, unusual rural night movement and real time situational awareness to ground troops
It does not target or lase targets
It a CCTV camera on a ballon
Infact the cameras are not even as good as the serveilance cameras used on the citizens of the US

These balloons have saved countless lives and has proven to be quite welcomed by the locals whom on many occasion will approach the patrol base where these balloons are tethered and ask for assistance with local matters such as theft of property or livestock

Infact when the last balloon I worked with was first launched every head man from each village for 20 miles in every direction was invited to go along and see exactly what it it capable of ( except classified info ) and was majoritly well received

A professional what ??
edit on 16-5-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

And I feel I must add

The professional
Loc classified
Mood classified

This is simply an attempt to add credibility to his posts
He/she is probably some spotty it geek that has no understanding of the subject mater or it's context
As he has admited before he has no service background and from many of his post it's evident his knowlege is somewhat lacking his points flawed and his views biased and motivated by something other than the truth

Sorry for the something of a personal attack but he has attacked my profession on many occasions and when some one with valid and reasonable argument has input he quickly becomes quite derogatory

I for one am quite happy to put him back in his little box from time to time

edit on 16-5-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

edit on 16-5-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader

He can't help it
He obviously has his own agenda as has been the case in many of his posts
He'll get totally shot down, go quiet for a few weeks them come back with the same toss

Yup

As for these balloons - their capabilities are classified however I have had radio feeds from their operators, visual feeds, defended them, recovered one when it was shot down, controlled one and been liaison to the teams that operate them

I'm way to old for that duty now!

Starter for 10: When was the first recorded use of balloons for intelligence gathering operations in warfare?

The first military use of a balloon was at the Battle of Fleurus in 1794, when L'Entreprenant was used by the French Aerostatic Corps to watch the movements of the enemy. On 2 April 1794, an aeronauts corps was created in the French army; however, given the logistical problems linked with the production of hydrogen on the battlefield (it required constructing ovens and pouring water on white-hot iron), the corps was disbanded in 1799.

- from wiki

Of course they were also used in the American civil War and every boy from the British Commonwealth knows everything there is about the use of observation baloons in WW1 from that fine series of documentary books about Biggles

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

You are confusing the nationality of the people involved with the location of their headquarters, leadership and support base - which were all in Afghanistan.

Which is exactly the same reasoning the 9.11 attackers used. Attack a money maker symbol of America, support base on the war on the middle eastern countries. A lot of money went into US wars on the middle east; NY is basically the financial capital of USA, and that is why they targeted a financial symbol and enablers of that war. To them the headquarters, leadership and support base of the war on middle eastern countries was in USA and they chose the twin towers to take the fall.

How about the Taliban saying they were? At one point they even offered to put OBL on trial - even before 9/11, and again after 9/11??

Bin laden was working for the CIA. Remember he was funded by the CIA in the 1980s did you forget that? We gave him the weapons and training to plan those attacks.
edit on 103131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 16 May 2012 22:27:24 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 103131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 16 May 2012 22:30:11 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

He can't help it He obviously has his own agenda as has been the case in many of his posts He'll get totally shot down, go quiet for a few weeks them come back with the same toss

What is my agenda? Showing people the truth, and you just can't take it. I have yet to get shot down anywhere. I am still here, disproving anything that is said.

I like many don't even read his's threads anymore as its the usual uninformed blinker'd dribble he always rants about

You sure read this one, and it got under your skin. You just cannot deny the fact that afghanistan had nothing to do with 9.11 execpt for the fact that it was maybe OBL's homeland and that is about it. If some foreign enemy came in and destroyed all of USA because the USA was harboring GW Bush the war criminal I guess you would be ok with it?

Sorry for the something of a personal attack but he has attacked my profession on many occasions and when some one with valid and reasonable argument has input he quickly becomes quite derogatory I for one am quite happy to put him back in his little box from time to time

You couldn't put a shoe in a box. I will criticise your profession where and whenever I deem necessary for the truth. If your profession is murdering innocent people, then you will receive all the criticism till the world burns over.
edit on 103131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 16 May 2012 22:32:38 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 103131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 16 May 2012 22:35:06 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
big black delta

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Neocrusader

He can't help it He obviously has his own agenda as has been the case in many of his posts He'll get totally shot down, go quiet for a few weeks them come back with the same toss

What is my agenda? Showing people the truth

Clearly not

, and you just can't take it. I have yet to get shot down anywhere. I am still here, disproving anything that is said.

2 for 2......

You couldn't put a shoe in a box.

i'm betting on 3/3

I will criticise your profession where and whenever I deem necessary for the truth.

at least we get some actual info here

If your profession is murdering innocent people, then you will receive all the criticism till the world burns over

When you start with "if..." then it behooves you to show that the case actually exists before proceeding as if it were true.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Which is exactly the same reasoning the 9.11 attackers used. Attack a money maker symbol of America, support base on the war on the middle eastern countries. A lot of money went into US wars on the middle east; NY is basically the financial capital of USA, and that is why they targeted a financial symbol and enablers of that war. To them the headquarters, leadership and support base of the war on middle eastern countries was in USA and they chose the twin towers to take the fall.

Again - irrelevant, does not address the point, changes the subject.....

Bin laden was working for the CIA. Remember he was funded by the CIA in the 1980s did you forget that? We gave him the weapons and training to plan those attacks

no I didn't forget it.

and yet again - utterly irrelevant to establishing that his location was Afghanistan which is what you were objecting to just a few posts ago.

I can see why people think you are a nut job.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

and yet again - utterly irrelevant to establishing that his location was Afghanistan which is what you were objecting to just a few posts ago.

Just because his location was Afghanistan does not mean you declare war on afghanistan, you ask for extradition. Would it be ok for the world to declare war on the USA because we are harboring GW Bush the biggest war criminal since Stalin?

no I didn't forget it.

Then attack the people responsible for 911 (aka CIA) not afghanistan.
edit on 103131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 16 May 2012 22:43:40 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

This entire post of your is IRRELEVANT to the subject haha. You brought up the irrelevant personal attacks and I just negated them lol

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

BS - NATO/US was there in response to the Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ

BS - 9/11 was in response to saudi arabia providing bases for US forces for war on middle eastern countries.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

BS - NATO/US was there in response to the Taliban providing a base for OBL & AQ

BS - 9/11 was in response to saudi arabia providing bases for US forces for war on middle eastern countries.

lol - you really are a hoot.

and wrong again.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

No that is exactly why OBL stated he attacked. US interference in the middle east. It is in the 9.11 report. Shall I bring out the facts?

Why do you think he attacked?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join