It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
OK, I do understand they have certain protections via the interpretation of the US Constitution regarding freedom of speech and there have been debates over those protections. I'd like to ask something different from that.
I'm wondering what can be done on a local level by the general population to "foil" them so to speak without breaking any laws or causing any physical harm while doing so. What has worked for various areas, what are the best plans of attack, what has been the most fruitful in thwarting their intentions of picketing at the funerals of the fallen military?
I know the gay community has fought them longer than anyone else. Many sat back instead of asking themselves the old addage about "what do I do when they come for me and none are left to stand up...". From the fights there have been, regardless of what group has fought them, what has been the most productive and effective?
They are picketing a military funeral near me and this is their first time in this "area" of he country. The vetrans group is responding with their motorcycles and flags to block the view from the mourning families but what else can be legally done? Is there a way to prevent them from even coming to an area?
We are somewhat unique. We are heavily "liberal" in this area, yet very much in the bible belt and church attendance is high. Probably, if the parties were to disappear and reformulate with new names, the ideology would most likely follow "Libertarian". (just to give you an idea on the type of people that live in the area). Very supportive of Constitutional Rights, the Military, yet socially liberal I guess.
Thanks.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Nuff said.........

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You can't really fight them; they crave attention, by arguing with them to trying to foil their plot you are giving them attention. If people would just ignore them and recognize them for the imbeciles that they are, they wouldn't be a problem.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Even though I know it's wrong and we shouldn't and wouldn't ever do it, it sure would be nice to see the look on their faces when a bunch of rednecked hillbillies showed up with shotguns and hunting dogs ::sigh::

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

They are those hillbillies, except instead of shotguns they have hate signs and instead of dogs they have children. It's really tragic.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

They are those hillbillies, except instead of shotguns they have hate signs and instead of dogs they have children. It's really tragic.

hmmm, so maybe it would be "fighting fire with fire" to get this bunch of hillbillies after that bunch of hillbillies!

...sorry, humor helps me keep from getting extremely angry

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
They still exist?

I had totally forgotten about them to be honest...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

That's where you are mistaken. They are anything but "hillbillies"...though they do attempt to portray themselves as "salt of the earth" types...

Most of the inner circle are lawyers of the shyster variety, and they pray daily for someone to be so stupid as to get physical with them at one of these "protests"... They hope some grieving family member will lose control and attack them, either physically, or even verbally...so they can sue them down to their socks.

This is a family of con men...from the old man down through his kids.

They are an ugly, ugly group of people.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

That's where you are mistaken. They are anything but "hillbillies"...though they do attempt to portray themselves as "salt of the earth" types...

Most of the inner circle are lawyers of the shyster variety, and they pray daily for someone to be so stupid as to get physical with them at one of these "protests"... They hope some grieving family member will lose control and attack them, either physically, or even verbally...so they can sue them down to their socks.

This is a family of con men...from the old man down through his kids.

They are an ugly, ugly group of people.

They are definitely an ugly group

What ideas have been tossed around over the years that may actually work with them? Has anyone ever been successful in detering them?
I don't want any limits made on free speech, but at the same time, it would be nice to clarify what it is and what it isn't. Is there another angle that could be taken to deal with them? Could we perhaps reclassify what is public and what is private as far as events go and somehow use our right to privacy to thwart their concept of what free speech is with their funeral protests?
I'm open to any reasonable answer. I know violence isn't an option, no matter how tempting it may be.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Many municipalities are not at all shy about letting them know they aren't welcome... Those veteran groups have had a lot of success in blocking them.

Whatever methods are used, do not; and I can not emphasize this enough; get physical/or overly verbal with them. They have cameras, and record everything that opponents say to them...hoping someone will, in their justifiable anger say something that'll allow them to sue.

If you choose to confront, have your own camera's, and sound recorders. Set it up ahead of time, if you can...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thou I am not guy myself, I would think they need a few gay pride parades through their town and past their church some Sunday morning.

Since they want attention, when they show up at a funeral, have a gay pride parade around them. Maybe those in the parade could "stand reeaal close" to them as they discuss the weather or something.

I think the best way to fight an attention whore is to give it to them to the point of embarrasment.

If I lived close enough, I might even find some appropriate costuming to wear for a parade.

It may take several time for things to soke into their pointy little heads; but it would be worth a shot.

Some pictures might even make it itno the newspapers.
edit on 17-5-2012 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

What you want is to "neutralize" them.
Contact the Patriot Guard Riders and see if there are any in your area.
Or read about them and form your own group.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'd love to have their final 'judgement day' with God televised.
It would make a good reality TV show. I can picture it!
The entire country making popcorn and families cuddled on the couch ...
TVs on ... and the Westboro 'life reviews' playing in the full light of God.
The gavel of God coming down with a 'thunk' on the judges bench.
The lightning bolt flashing as they are sent off to their eternal 'sentence' ...

THAT would be good TV!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I always thought that WBC was a TPTB shill group that was trying to get people to beg for the limitation of free speech. When that didn't work, they faded into obscurity.

I say just stage a counter protest and that's it. Those people aren't even human.

-TS

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I can't help but think the "book of life" with all the names of the saints is going to be a very very thin paper back.

I would also like to be way back in the line so I could watch all these "great holy christians" walk away with their heads down.

I guess I would smile and say "I'll be seeing you later".

I accepted my fate a long time ago.
edit on 17-5-2012 by hdutton because: old men can't spell

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Wesboro is just attention seekers. We give it, they like it.

Just ignore them if you don't like it. They want a reaction out of you, and it is exactly what is happening. You are playing into their trap.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The important thing to remember is that the WBC is NOT a church.

Never have been, never will be.

They are a glorified cult. Made worse by all the attention that we give them on a daily basis when they pull their shenanigans.

Like anything else if you'd like to stop a behavior, you just have to stop engaging these folk.

~Tenth

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The funeral protests also are upsetting to me and I feel bad for the families that have to deal with it. But in the big scheme of rights I had to tell myself that it is my feelings that are being affected by someone elses exercise of free speech and religious beliefs.

Anytime the rights to religious freedom or free speech are restricted, the new restrictions will apply to and affect everyone. They are always on public sidewalks outside of the cemetary and I haven't heard of them breaking the law by getting too close to the funerals. There have been laws revised to change the distance they must stand from funerals but you can't threaten them, ban them from a town legally or make too many public areas restricted or a new precedent will be set for the rights and freedoms of all people. That is why "hate speech" legislation is dangerous territory. If their group can be banned from a public sidewalk because of words then so can another.

I think those offended should not fight against the very rights they need because of hurt feelings due to others' words. Just think what would happen if freedom of speech and religion were eliminated. The government could then silence the Westboro church but then what happens if the current governent also does not agree with some other group of people? Concerning gays, without these constitutional protections a predominant religion could then dominate government policy, prohibit public display of anything the current government did not agree with such as pro-gay speech or publications. Any religion could then be a target for government tyranny. That idea might seem good to certain people but then this loss of rights can affect any group of people.

I realize this sounds extreme but when you start to chip away these rights to anyone you are opening the door for bigger abuse if the conditions are right some day. So when you can choose to ignore a small group or at the most stage a peaceful counter-protest why take the chance of doing something that could result in a loss of rights for others? In my opinion from what I've seen in the news perhaps just completely ignoring it might be the better option for the family because the media circus, counter protests and police presence can even increase the distractions to the grieving family. In most instances the sound of passing traffic appears to be louder than the few voices of the church members

For example in Nebraska the Westboro church made an example of public officials' legal blunders when law enforcement overstepped the law in their zeal to protect the feelings of people. Nebraska had a flag desecration law that was overturned as unconstitutional during a Westboro case and the government was ordered to pay attorney fees. So I agree with those here that suggest it is not a good idea to let emotions lead to something that will be regretted later.

www2.ljworld.com...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Westboro baptist is a family of lawyers who call themselves
a church.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If you really feel the need to do something, have everyone hold up a sign that reads

"___________ died protecting your rights to protest. Did you remember to say thank you?"

But better just to ignore them.

Hugs for you and the family.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join