It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weak Polish AF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
In August the Chief of Staff of the Polish army admitted that only from time to time 2 MiG-21s patrol the Polish skies.

Aicraft flights cost so why did they send troops to Iraq? It costs as well and they won't succeed there anyway. There are no US troops in Poland who would be able to defend it and I don't think Germany would be willing to save Poland if it was attacked.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
*must resist, temptation....to make....Polack joke....resist....resist....*

To answer your question...

Because Poland knows it will get back from the US more than it spends...

The US does not have to have troops there to defend Poland, it can do so from afar, and they know this. Just as with any such decision, it's all about the Benjamins....

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Because Poland knows it will get back from the US more than it spends...

No it won't. It can't even get simplified visa procedures for its citizens, much less the offset help and mlitary help in case of a war.
It can't even get a real Hummer but just Hummer-like civilian jeeps

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Poland is in about as much danger of invasion as Canada is, hehe.... I wouldn't worry about it too much....

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Poland is in about as much danger of invasion as Canada is, hehe.... I wouldn't worry about it too much....

Right but I was just talking about its readiness; not the danger grade
Poland will be rather taken over energetically by the Russians than by force

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Gee it almost sounds like the chinese policey of keeping buffer states around them to sacrifice if needed.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Its much like my own views and that of many Australians.

Forget everything else, when it comes to the US-Oz alliance what ever your views of it, the fact is most of the time our politicians realise that the only day we can't rely on the USA to help (whether its cheaper or preferential deals on kit or coming to our aid in a fight) is the day they come to a belief they can't rely on us.

(So any Aussies thinking of voting ALP over Libs/Nats in tomorrows election don't hold your breath. If ALP win they' sober up pretty quickly on that score. Send you Christmas Desert Postcards today)

Same goes for former Eastern Europe states in NATO and the EU. I get the impression if it wasn't for US Support they'd have been as welcome as Leprosy, and they know it, and are politically greatful.

As to the Poles MiG shortage, from what I have read lack of funds for ...well everything ....has led them to saving thier pennies on maintenance, upgrades and flying hours to pay for the few western combat planes they can afford. Some are better off than others.

And don't fop off thier fears of defending themselves as unwarranted. The former soviet territories are not exactly the model of stability now, and some of the former Republics have already sufferred from the run off. Why not the ex Warsaw Pact states.

Post 9/11 nothing is impossible anymore and improbable isn't much better.
Whats happened used to be considered fiction by most, and in my part of the world the politicians haven't talked about ten year indicators since the first Gulf War.

Poland has been fought over and for, and ripped apart and stitched back together over centuries more times than she probably cares to remember, and spent 40 years under Soviet dominance that is in the living memory of most of her senior politicians and military chiefs today.

UK, USA and Australia. Can anybody born here say the same?

top topics

join