It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity in one word: Anti-homosexual

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
reply to post by Deetermined

Interesting.

At Psalm 82:1, 6, ’elo·him′ is used of men, human judges in Israel. Jesus quoted from this Psalm at John 10:34, 35. They were gods in their capacity as representatives of and spokesmen for Yahweh or Jehovah. Similarly Moses was told that he was to serve as “God” to Aaron and to Pharaoh.—Ex 4:16, The occupied an appointed position of authority.
edit on 5/16/2012 by Sparky63 because: spelling always spelling! *&^^%^%@%@$^$%

Once again, let's look at surrounding verses to see what it actually means.

Let's start with Exodus 4:15-16

15) And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: and I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what ye shall do.

16) And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people: and he shall be, even he shall be to thee instead of a mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God.

So, in the verses above, God says that Moses will be the spokesperson for God, not a God, as God is the one putting words in his mouth.

Now, let's look at John 10:34-38

34) Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35) If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36) Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

37) If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38) But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Once again, Jesus is pointing out in verse 36 that they were sent out into the world as children of God, just as he said, "I am the Son of God". In verse 35, Jesus is pointing out that they belong to God and it was through them that the word of God came and would be spread throughout the world.

edit on 16-5-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by SaturnFX

SnF man. I can see that posters in this thread are not really comprehending what the point of this is.

Your title is the overall feeling that the younger generations have towards the Church/Christians. So... a survey was done and that was the end result.... that basically we feel like the older generation is hating on gays and that community. And IMO... they are.

Wait...
You read and comprehended the ops?

Isn't that against ATS's TOS?!?!!

Mormans...aren't they the ones that said if you marry someone outside of your color, you will die?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

I think you might be missing the point here. And I resent that you imply I didn't read the thread, when the title itself was erroneous to begin with.

The point OP is claiming to make, is that Christianity revolves around gay-bashing.

My point is that if you count the pages in the Bible talking about homosexuality, you'll find that less than 40 of 1000 full pages actually have anything to do with homosexuality.

The Bible does not waste it's time talking trash over and over. It makes a statement and moves on. And that's where OP is wrong. True, Christianity does condemn gays...but that's not its sole premise, as he blatantly claims.
edit on CWednesdaypm202014f14America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by knightrider078
This Thread is not even worth responding to. I am surprised this thread has not been blocked yet

I suppose every thread you disagree with deserves to be blocked. Get off the high horse of your own opinion and join us. I see quite a few things being sorted here my fellow member.

Imagine how boring this site would be if everyone agreed.

link   
reply to post by Deetermined

This is off topic. Just thought I'd let you know, so you could redirect your posts or reconnect to the actual thread.

link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
Homosexuality is so wrong in so many ways.

Religions forbids it and its against the nature.
Heck, even the #### North Korean think its bad!

All in all, its just lust that is talking and not common sense, moral or science.
I'm pretty happy and grateful born as a male lesbian.

Yes homosexuality is against nature....

Maybe you should tell these 1500 animal species that practice homosexual behavior. I don't think they got the memo.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

So
To combat the perception young adults have on christianity being anti-homosexual is..

to what then?
Become even more anti-homosexual?

I am sure that will work just great.

I challenged the veracity of your statement about the main focus of Christianity. The issue at hand here is that as long as it is being portrayed in movies and tv, books, churches, schools, and discussed at great length in the media and by politicians and pushed in the legislative branch, there will be an increased focus on the subject, by the very nature of it being in the mainstream of discussion. How could it be otherwise? If not, it would likely hardly be discussed at all.

And by the way, your posts reek of Christian-bashing.
edit on 16-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There is a difference between posting a topic for debate and what this person did. reply to post by SaturnFX

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
you said it in a nutshell , he hates the sin not the person

link   
This person did NOT post this for a debate
edit on 16-5-2012 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by dplum517

SnF man. I can see that posters in this thread are not really comprehending what the point of this is.

Your title is the overall feeling that the younger generations have towards the Church/Christians. So... a survey was done and that was the end result.... that basically we feel like the older generation is hating on gays and that community. And IMO... they are.

Wait...
You read and comprehended the ops?

Isn't that against ATS's TOS?!?!!

Mormans...aren't they the ones that said if you marry someone outside of your color, you will die?

Why do you make whack a mole harder by mentioning Mormons and death. Haven't you done enough religion bashing for the for seeable future.
Is Carl Marx one of your HEROS or do you think he SUCKS??

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

I think you might be missing the point here. And I resent that you imply I didn't read the thread, when the title itself was erroneous to begin with.

The point OP is claiming to make, is that Christianity revolves around gay-bashing.

No, thats your interpretation
Plum has it right
reread the ops
Better yet, read the source linked right at the top of the op.
they asked young adults to give a single word for christianity
that word was anti-homosexual
the title is Christianity in one word: anti-homosexual
according to the study
which I did not preform
nor participate in

What others are seeing is their own view of what I must be saying.

Do I think christianity revolves around being just anti-gay? No. But I do note most christian organizations are either supportive or quiet when others wearing the badge of christianity starts their gay bashing.

If you do a injustice to someone, you did it
If you watch silently as someone does an injustice and do not speak up..its as bad as doing it yourself.

He is correct. This thread is ultimately about the vast perception of christianity by young adults...not my feelings about it, not if its right or wrong...it is about how christianity is branded as an anti-gay group moreso than anything else.

Now, people can then take that bit of info and go wherever they want with it...I was actually expecting some thoughtful "how do we send a good message out..how do we change this perception"..but instead, it has been a mountain of 'nuh uhh, we aren't all hateful, gays are unnatural, the ops is mean, etc etc etc"

completely missing the issue.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightrider078
There is a difference between posting a topic for debate and what this person did. reply to post by SaturnFX

Indeed OP took an extreme high road. That just made it irresistable if you ask me!

I must admit to the same truth be told. I could give an example but that thread got closed do to bickering.

edit on 16-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

haha ...no doubt.

But...like most other Religions ...they have their own Apologetics who are keeping busy and rewriting doctrine. In one of their recent conferences they actually said that the current Prophet and leaders can overrule or simply erase what past Prophet's have said.

Basically giving them a loop hole to jump through when past Prophets say ridiculous things like your example.

@Starchild23

Don't resent me...I wasn't singling you out.

I know the Bible doesn't have all this anti gay stuff ......but that doesn't matter when the Young generation of here and now ...thinks Christians are anti gay.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
How quick we are to believe that this "Barna Group" is anything more than a 40 year old living in his mother's basement feeling the power of having caused others to behave. Doesn't matter how they behaved, just that he was paid attention to as if he was important and not living in his mothers basement.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

You saw me defend Christians. I don't agree with them, but that doesn't mean I'll help make up lies about them either.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

So
To combat the perception young adults have on christianity being anti-homosexual is..

to what then?
Become even more anti-homosexual?

I am sure that will work just great.

I challenged the veracity of your statement about the main focus of Christianity.

ok

erm...what did I say is the main focus of Christianity?

-might have to read back...not sure I said there was a main focus actually..hmm..20 pages...I did tired type last night...
care to help me out a bit?-

meanwhile, read this (I didn't write it..some religious group did)

When asked by The Barna Group what words or phrases best describe Christianity, the top response among Americans ages 16-29 was “antihomosexual.” For a staggering 91 percent of non-Christians, this was the first word that came to their mind when asked about the Christian faith. The same was true for 80 percent of young churchgoers. (The next most common negative images? : “judgmental,” “hypocritical,” and “too involved in politics.”)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

According to OP's post (above this one), this whole thread was a monumental waste of time.

OP apparently doesn't even remember the premise of his own thread.
edit on CWednesdaypm303028f28America/Chicago16 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Do I think christianity revolves around being just anti-gay? No

Ok, so you are in actuality disagreeing with the main headline in your thread?

And yes, with the issue being a subject which is widely discussed in all levels of media, in the churches, promoted in the schools, pushed by the likes of Dan Savage and mainlined in major headlines on every news channel in the US, what kind of focus would you expect to hear about? Some churches will stick to what is traditionally thought of, and some are apologists and will adapt to the new PC culture.
But the headline in your OP States that Christianity can be summed up in one word. And that is just pure bunk.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
here is some perspective.

Judgement: a divine sentence or decision; specifically : a calamity held to be sent by God, a formal decision given by a court

When Christians assert the word of God that Homosexuality is wrong and site scripture it is commonly perceived as "Judgemental" or "Hate". Judgement would be declaring the sentence of eternal damnation on the person. We as Christians see it as a person who is in a position of imminent catastrophe like in the path of a freight train. If we do not tell them then they will be in danger of the Judgement God brings and eternal damnation. We are compelled to do this because we love them and don't want them to be damned. As long as someone is alive here on earth there is opportunity for forgiveness and eternal life but, if the Christians remain silent then no one will hear.

Romans 10:14 14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

The Gospel in a nutshell is we are sinners, God incarnated himself and took our sins, we preach forgiveness but in order for the person to understand forgiveness they have to know they are sinners and part of knowing your sin is being taught that what you are doing is sin and that by nature you are a sinner. If people don't know they are sinners then what are they in need of repenting from? that is simply what we do, we are the light of the world we reprove sin and preach salvation.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Keeper of Kheb because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join