It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Analyst: First American to shoot down drone will be a hero

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I can think of some roof top artwork that can be read from the drone can't expand on that cause curising is agianst tc violations.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Firstly, drones fly at thirty plus thousand feet i think....they are invisible, and noisless at that height very probably.....
Shooting one down wouldnt really be possible without a shoulder fired missile, and maybe that would be too far outranged as well....
The shoulder fired AAA is for close to ground defenses, the mounted stuff is for heights.
Secondly it would make far more sense to contaminate the fuel, destroy the drones on the ground ,screw up the control by freq jamming devices or other nefarious means....the chances of success are greater.
As too shooting one down you would need at LEAST a 50 caliber full auto MG one round probably wound do it from anything smaller....exploding bullets would be nice as well.....
The drones are well protected by their height and stealth...if anyone could shpot one down, the Taliban would have by now, they have all kinds of AAA missiles for shoulder firing, as well as possibly a few old grails or sams....certaainly Heavy MGs......
Iran so far is the only contestant to win a prize.

Dang, Stirling, why did you have to post that? We were getting all excited and now you come in here and take the wind out of our sails.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by beezzer

I can think of some roof top artwork that can be read from the drone can't expand on that cause curising is agianst tc violations.

I have some suggestions as well. Unfortunately, I've already lost a few thousand ATS points this week, so I have to scale back on sharing my ideas.....no matter how good they are.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Why do you think I paint part of my lawn with a blue rectangle, so that my neighbors think I have a pool on Google earth.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by neo96

Why do you think I paint part of my lawn with a blue rectangle, so that my neighbors think I have a pool on Google earth.

LMAO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

He does have a point about the Reapers and Predators but they also have smaller, lower flying drones that hover.
Think of the Game Metal Gear Solid.

Honeywell RQ-16 T-Hawk

wiki

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think I will refer to these drones as 'BRIRDS' (Big Brother Birds). And yes, the government will soon be giving many of us the 'bird'. Government's Paranoia, wonderful isn't it.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I doubt that small arms fire would be very effective, they fly too high and are too small and move too fast. It would take an amazing shot by an experienced shooter using a heavy, high-powered rifle. Its pretty rare that they are shot down even over Afghanistan or Iraq where they fly every day. A full-spectrum radio transmitter focused toward the drone causing static on the control frequency could cause one to crash. Also they could be mostly useless if the gps isnt functioning properly. It would be hard to coordinate with any ground force if the drone doesn't know where it is or where its going. My guess is that it'l be the ham radio guys with any real chance...
edit on 15-5-2012 by SouthernForkway26 because: changed the words a bit, i have no experience with any military drone

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

if you shoot it down with only a gun
you'll be attacked

however if you use a 3d printer and build your own army of drones
feds might have to think it over when they discover they can't jam yours

especially if you have multiple means of controlling them
like whistles
modified semaphore hand signals
infrared
brainwaves?

diydrones.com...

Build yourself a Drone NOW (before they become illegal)

Francis Fukuyama isn't your standard tech guy. He's a policy guy at Stanford that writes hefty books on very philosophical topics. That's why his detailed blog post on his efforts to build a surveillance drone are so cool. Here's a little video of the test of his drone outside of his office at Stanford. youtu.be...

Fukuyama

Francis makes two simple observations that are worth repeating. Here's the first one:

"I don’t have to spell out the implications of this. I want to have my drone before the government makes them illegal."

The Inevitable Ban on Drone Tech

I agree with Francis, it's pretty clear that drones will become illegal sooner than later. Let me run through a scenario for you. I'm going to have some fun with it:

The ban will likely start by closing down the drone flight amateur loophole -- under 400ft, line of site, away from built up areas (which Francis obviously violated with his test flight). You will need a license to fly even small drones. Commercial licenses will be very restrictive (right now it's illegal to take pictures from a drone for commercial purposes).

However, that's not going to last. There will be too many violations as people build and use drones without regard to the legal restrictions. It will then be made illegal to own a drone w/o a very restrictive license.

Of course, that won't last long either. People will continue to build and use them using generic parts. This technology will prove way to useful and too easy to access. At that point, like we have seen recently with efforts to put limits on general purpose computing (ACTA, SOPA, etc.), we are going to see the following:

Bans on general purpose robotic technology from hardware to software.
Controls on general purpose fabrication technology (since parts can be made with these technologies). There will be lots of support from commercial patent and copyright holders for government bans on 3D fabrication.
Controls on people that know how to build drones. Dangerous people must be tracked and monitored (I had a physics teacher once who designed nuclear bombs, he couldn't travel more than 50 miles w/o government authorization -- it would be much easier to do that for many more people now using modern tech).

Now, all of these steps will accelerate to the end point if a single terrorist incident is based on drone tech.

So, what should you do?

Build yourself a drone. Before they are made illegal.

stop fearing gizmos and tech and build your own stuff
homemade rail gun

diy emp
www.dhbolton.com...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Its self defense, you saw a drone above you and you shot it down..simples..SELF DEFENSE, plain and easy.

especially if you're at a wedding
or other social "gathering"

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The cops are going to have to come up with some identifying markeings on their hovering drones, lest they want them to be shot down.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Or build some EMP's to put on the roof of your house or building
fry those bastards

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
But we's needs those droneses for the bad guys. They are here to makes us safe. Privacy is for criminals

*end sarcasm

This makes me sick. They always say one thing and do another. Soon we will have drones watching us 24/7. Then they will find a reason to arm them.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I know that many of us are responding with humor because it really is
so surreal to face the notion that thousands and thousands of these "Skynet" controlled
drones are going to be flying above us for the rest of our lives.....You know you are old when you
have to convince some youth that once upon of time there were just birds and planes in the sky
and you could walk more than a block in a city or town without having it recorded and stored in Utah.

Oh, and be sure to vote for Romney or Obama...after all...think of all the jobs this will create.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Res Ipsa because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2012 by Res Ipsa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I know that many of us are responding with humor because it really is so surreal to face the notion

Dude, I understand what youre saying and I also agree with it.
Ten or so years ago, I wouldve never, ever thought that, very soon we would actually be discussing having drones watching over us and audio recorders at intersections listening to everything we say.
I know one thing for sure, the people and era that I remember in the 80s/90s, would never have allowed something like this.

Damnit man, I want that time and those people back.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Camera mounted multistaged Kamakazi model rocket or RCP aiming for the engine intakes. These video gamers of today can nail anything. Then there are lazers that can damage the optics. Especially if several hundred citizens beam on it at once in an act of organized defiance.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I am thinking that the first person to take one down is going to be a 10 year old kid that has never shoot a gun. He is going to do it by hacking the command uplink singal. He may not be able to fly it but he sure can crash it.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I am thinking that the first person to take one down is going to be a 10 year old kid that has never shoot a gun. He is going to do it by hacking the command uplink singal. He may not be able to fly it but he sure can crash it.

Haha, yes! I think your on to something.
It would definitely be better to, at least start out with the "soft" technology oriented way of bringing them down, as opposed to the brute force way that would sure draw a lot more negative attention.

Star 4 U fixer

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Simple solution... Everyone learn how to fly your own remote control airplane and well... Ever see a group of small birds chasing a hawk or crow? Now imagine the smaller birds on a suicide mission. They fly 30,000 drones we fly a million 1/16th scale model red barrons up their a**.
edit on 15-5-2012 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Dude, I understand what youre saying and I also agree with it.
Ten or so years ago, I wouldve never, ever thought that, very soon we would actually be discussing having drones watching over us and audio recorders at intersections listening to everything we say.
I know one thing for sure, the people and era that I remember in the 80s/90s, would never have allowed something like this.

Damnit man, I want that time and those people back.

Not true. they installed aerostat blimps along the Mexico border in the late 80s that were essentially tethered airborn spy devices.
www.fas.org...

When they built the installation near Deming, NM I was just a little kid. I remember quite an uproar over it, but the feds claimed "It's just a radar system to track low flying aircraft, etc. etc. etc." A couple of years later, someone spilled the beans that the blimps were also equipped with an eye in the sky 360-degree camera system which could read a newspaper over somebody's shoulder who was sitting 20 miles away at Courthouse Park in Deming.

This was all done in the name of the war on drugs. We've moved past that now and are well entrneched in the war on terror. Both wars have been complete bullcrap intended to gradually transform the US into a society which calls for far reaching restrictions on freedom & privacy in the name of fighting imaginary boogeymen. Make no mistake here... terrorism is VERY real, as are terrorists... yes, even Islamo-fascist terrorists. What is fake is the war against them. The feds could care less about actually preventing terrorism, so long as they can use it to frighten the public into capitulation it serves them much better unprevented, alive, and well. The problem is the same as it has been for several generations, the people allow everything and anything so long as it comes from clever men wearing sharp suits in DC. Change is packaged as being for our own good and, thus, mainstream America happily bends over and takes it in the seat of the pants.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join