learn more

Whats your guitar story?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
When did you start?

I started when I was 17 that would be about 10 years ago.

Who influenced you or what made you buy your first guitar?

I bought my first guitar for 50$ (a cheap stratocaster copy), my parents didn't want to buy me one because they didn't think I would be serious about playing, but I had been listening to a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Everclear... guitar music basically... So I bought my first guitar and decided I would prove to them wrong. Eventually my cousin gave me a nice Seagull acoustic that he wasn't playing, and so I ended up switching from electric to acoustic, and from a slim neck to a full-sized neck, still playing that seagull to this day.

Have you or do you play in bands or just for pleasure at home?

I'm currently working on building a band with a couple friends I recently met. I've been writing songs for fun for a while, but whenever people hear me play, they ask if I play in a band, and hopefully that will soon be answered with a "yes".

What do you play? What instrument...what genre?

I play guitar, a little piano and I'm a singer, although I have just started learning to play violin (still sounds like I'm killing a cat though). As far as genres go, I play a lot of covers in a folk style, but in terms of my own material, I am more involved in using jazz chords and somewhat a progressive style of song writing.

What tips would you pass on to anyone wishing to play?

Just keep practicing, and try to learn many different songs, don't worry if it doesn't sound great right now, we all have to go through the process of learning. Also do a lot of ear training, play along with the songs you do know on a set of speakers, if it sounds a little off, you can work on your tuning. Learn all your basic open chords first, then start learning barre chords (it will be difficult at first, but it is necessary at some point). And finally, however you get the sounds you want to get is fine, even if you are not playing it exactly how it says in a book or a youtube video. The sound is the most important, if it sounds alright, then it is alright.

Good luck to you bud, wish you all the best in your learning... And personally, I recommend trying to learn the song Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd as it is all just open chords and pretty easy to play. It is also a song that everyone knows and people can sing along with

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
When my 1st wife left, she took everything except a beat up old Gretch 6stg. With her gone I had time on my hands to learn how to play; From a Mel Bay chord book. After about 3 months I joined a hillbilly C&W band playing the 3.2 beer joints in Southern Colorado around Durango but they put me on bass. The rhythm player was usually to baked to play so I took over his spot. When my ex saw that I was attracting women by being in a band she asked for her guitar back. You can imagine what I told her....

At best I'm a mediocre guitar player but there is nothing that brings me more pleasure . The brotherhood of wire and wood is solid.
edit on 5-6-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

i concur. me and mrs. rockoperawriter met at a guitar center. i go there just to play. i'll usually head over to the sg's the les pauls, the dimebag signature deans and fender jaguars. its like i have a stratocaster but i want to get a jaguar

new topics

<< 1   >>

join