It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth In Crisis As Wildlife Numbers Plummet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Earth In Crisis As Wildlife Numbers Plummet

news.sky.com

Earth is a planet in crisis with wildlife populations declining by more than 30% in the past four decades, conservationists claim.

A new report examined how more than 9,000 populations of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians and fish are faring.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Have we known this all along?

In Asia, tiger numbers have fallen 70% in just 30 years.

I've heard the theory that nature is constantly changing but are these numbers really at the normal rate for this theory to be true?

The "ecological footprint" of human activity was 50% higher than the capacity of the Earth's land and oceans in 2008, the most recent year for which figures are available, with people living as though we have a planet and a half to sustain us.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
When we cant even take care of our own species, how could we take care of thousands if not millions of others. We are dooming this planet to extinction.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The point of no return is nearing.

But only very few people care about it.

It's a mass suicide at worst

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

This is what happens when you live in a society where no one cares about anything....

Sad state of events...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
What happens is the wildlife move to other green places if they can. A new High School is being built with in two miles of my house. All the animals came here. The birds, the snakes, the cyotes, the turkey, owls, etc... There are twenty squirrels in my front yard. No one is afraid of my little 20 lb dogs either.

Seriously, what needs to happen is free available birth control. People need to revitalize and rehabilitate the inner city areas that have decayed. Such as down town Detroit. Things need to be reused. Buy used. Reduce consumption. I think society is starting to work on these issues. When I was a kid there was no recycling. Everything was stupidly thrown out. Machines need to be engineered to comb through these trash heaps to recycle materials.

Machines need to be made to go out into the ocean and harvest those plastic islands. We need to prioritize getting off fossil fuels and using clean reuseable energy. Some one on TV said Hydrogen 3 was on the moon and one space shuttle full could power the entire Earth for a year. Change needs to happen. Getting birth control out there would be a good start. Anyone on welfare should receive an automatic five year Noris Dorm implant.

It makes me angry that those of us who work hard, pay for everyone else, and some of those people just work the system as a way of life. People with two college degrees for example. Then those people decide to have three kids, when the rest of who work know very well we don't have the money and time and energy for that.
edit on 15-5-2012 by frugal because: sp

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well, I'll agree with the wildlife numbers decreasing and some of them to levels that are endangering the abilities of the planet to fix itself. Don't worry, I also feel that there is going to be an extreme number of people dying on this planet in a short time. It will balance out. our demise is not going to be caused by one event but by a series of smaller badly timed events worldwide. Mankind is going to have a time of "no luck at all" which was actually caused by his own hand and desires. It may be a little rough for the survivors of this time but when it's all over it will be a better world. Maybe not for humans though.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We marvel and despise cloning, why not on these ? Its a good cause IMHO, any other view ?
2nd line - cloning the panda is much better than fighting to clone a human. Heck, the chicken you ate today was systematically cloned, why not these wildlife ?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I was learning about this kind of thing more than 8 years ago. It got me to a low point in my feelings about things. I remember reading that 30% of the earth had virtually been destroyed by man's activities by some kind of world health organization back in 2004. And the same report said that in the next 50 years X amount of earth's life would become extinct. Been down this road before...

What's happening is earth is becoming a spaceship. At night you can already see its lights come on. Slowly it will look more and more like something from science fiction.

It'll act like a mothership and our species will spread off planet.

People get angry about this. Especially naturalists. I am over the anger. I no longer hate humanity. I no longer wish for us to be pummeled by nature or harmed. It's a very dark world for a naturalist.

Ultimately, you have to put your guns (if you're a soldier-type) and your anger (any type) down. You have to forego violence and hostility. You have to realize that earth is changing and the natural world will never exist as it once did. This will never be a natural world again until humans do not live here. There's no need to feel angry about it because there're lots of examples of things that we cannot change. Don't live in the past, it'll only keep your spirit in a dark place. You have ot embrace the future and realize that everything changes and you have to make the best with what you have. Humans are much, much stronger than many of you think. We're not going to fall dead because earth warms up or because some species go extinct. Humans are on a different level. When they get pushed far enough they WILL go off planet. They -must- go off planet simply because it's written into the laws of nature for us to expand outward and populate the universe. Virtual reality, underground cities, space, wherever we go, we WILL go! Staying only on earth's surface is not an option for us.

Stop thinking that a virgin forest is "pure". It's not. Many MANY lifeforms kill each other mercilessly in nature. Pathogens and volcanic eruptions and earthquakes and tsunami's and many other natural destructive events clear away millions and billions of life organisms on a routine basis. The error naturalists make is in thinking that our past is better than our future. They forget all of the premature deaths in the past, they forget the natural disasters, they forget the famine, they forget the rampant raping and pillaging and violence, they forget that nature is only beautiful when observed from a distance. The greatest sin a naturalist commits is the sin of romanticizing a vile and cruel nature which has no care for you or i or any lifeform. Nature is a machine, it's not us. It's indifferent.

People anthropomorphise lots of things, including nature. DON'T make that mistake. We're NOT all one. Because something else is a life-form does NOT make it like us. This is a classic error. It's one of the excuses naturalists have to stay as they're and not change. They refuse to admit that humans are on a different level. Their feelings of remorse for other life translates to hatred for mankind.

Look... ALL life exploits life that's under it in the pyramid of life. Humans are no different than other life with respect to this behavior. We will always exploit in this manner. You can thank nature for that. Nature has no care for what all this means. Nature does things, whether they're right or they're wrong. We cannot at present write the rules of nature. They're in everything. We have to follow them, there's no choice. This cannot be changed unless you can rewrite the laws of this universe. Don't indulge yourself and think you can. Many people have made this mistake and become the very thing they oppose! They harm just as many people as they claim to be saving!

We are all fools in this life. Nobody is exempt!

If you don't like the laws of this universe then die. Don't knowingly harm anybody else.

Bottom line, we have to know what we can and cannot change. The serenity prayer:
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
"
edit on 15-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Man needs to learn to live within the remit of nature, not the otherway around. We are destroying our biosphere for money. Really its stupid and greedy destroying our mother and our life support system.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Have you looked at this OP? The Extinction Protocol.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

the planet isn't really in crisis. earth existed for what, 1-2 billion years without even single celled organisms? it should say wildlife is in crisis. the planet will be fine, whether there is complex life on it or not.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The biggest problem is HUMAN OVERPOPULATION. This has led to the wildlife crisis through greed and outright Waste of resources.

Just keep dealing out those bibles to underdeveloped countries and telling the population to be fruitful and multiply.

The only people who Conserve are near-homeless bums like myself who can barely pay their own house taxes.
Everyone else is running around buying BIG gas-guzzling SUVs and building BIG McMansions (how many single-family mansions need 6 bathrooms? For that matter, how many single families need Mansions?) to show off their BIG wallets. While resources plummet.

Meanwhile these people (my fellow Americans) are telling me that because I can't follow their Example, I'm jealous of them and I should shut my face before it gets shut for me.

The very least this country could do is legalize the production of hemp. I don't mean marijuana but hemp which used to be the lifesaving plant of this country over a century ago before Hearst and DuPont pulled their con game.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
what happens when we are one of the last species standing?

it's scary that cannabalism comes to mind..

during the 872-day Siege of Leningrad, reports of cannibalism began to appear in the winter of 1941–1942, after all birds, rats and pets were eaten by survivors.

edit on 15-5-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It's because MONEY, GREED AND PROFIT is more important than life

I love this beautiful planet, but I hate being trapped on it with those who go through life destroying and trampling on precious habitats for just money, and without a care nor concern for future generations of ALL life here.

Today's world is not a nice place to be.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
what happens when we are one of the last species standing?

it's scary that cannabalism comes to mind..

during the 872-day Siege of Leningrad, reports of cannibalism began to appear in the winter of 1941–1942, after all birds, rats and pets were eaten by survivors.

edit on 15-5-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

We wouldn't be the last species standing in the food chain. Without a food chain, we will be one of the first to go.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
The point of no return is nearing.

Already reached, according to many experts. We're just in limbo

But only very few people care about it.

I think most care, but few truly grasp exactly where we're at. They just can't see it all too clearly

It's a mass suicide at worst

Hmm, that might actually be at best
but for whom :p We'll likely just drag it out to the end, with the most psycho lasting longer than most of the rest, killing off the majority of life as they continue to plunder around...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Doesn't anyone have the capacity for critical analysis on here?
Has ATS fallen prey to the credulous masses that our corrupt school systems foist upon the rest of us as "educated?"

For over 50 years, there have been idiots roaming the streets (now the internet and MSM) crying out that, "The End is Near!."

Today, the U.N. and Obama administration follow and give voice to such "de-industrialists" as John Holdren, who foster the ideology that the only salvation for "the Earth" is the reduction of the human footprint.

Paul Ehrlich (a Holdren compatriot) proclaimed in 1968 that as a result of overpopulation, "the battle to feed humanity is over," ("The Population Bomb") and the next decade would see global famines and ever-rising death rates.

He and Holdren were wrong.

Even so, the ignorant and the manipulative still use Ehrlich's phrase -- too many people! -- to explain environmental problems, or to advance their own self-serving agendas.

Where is the objective evidence to support these unfounded claims? Why are so many so willing to accept "studies" that fly in the face of logic and simple observation?

Most of the 7 billion or so here today are not endangering the earth. Objective analysis shows that as populations become wealthier and more industrialized, they take better care of the environment and are more conservativel in their use of limited assets and natural resources.
Use Energy, Get Rich and Save the Planet

Has anyone considered the funding and agendas of the organizations that sponsored or published this garbage?

deny ignorance
jw

edit on 15-5-2012 by jdub297 because: url

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
the planet isn't really in crisis. earth existed for what, 1-2 billion years without even single celled organisms? it should say wildlife is in crisis. the planet will be fine, whether there is complex life on it or not.

Absolutely, but then, isn't it pathetic that with all our intelligence that we can't learn to live in accordance and balance with nature. Embarassing too. And when one looks at the esoterics, even the Matrix to bring it right up to date, there has been an argument going on for thousands of years to persuade us that we have to power to be the caretakers of this planet. Instead we continue to allow it's rape, because heaven forbid that the Jones' should have something that we haven't. As more and more drop the soma, there is a decaying of the last vestiges of hope that we will ever move forward, and our extinction is an ever nearing reality, that even the most optimistic can nolonger ignore. The planet though will revive, and no doubt do better, not just producing sentient life, but hopefully actually manage to achieve sapience as more than just an ideal this time.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Can you run for president of the world lol.
Everything you said is exactly what needs to be done. I understand
There is a lot of planning involved and logistically speaking it is almost impossible to get the whole world
On track but if we don't try, then we are already beaten

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join