It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texting While Walking Banned in New Jersey Town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Avid texters beware

Fort Lee, N.J. police said they will begin issuing $85 jaywalking tickets to pedestrians who are caught texting while walking. “It’s a big distraction. Pedestrians aren’t watching where they are going and they are not aware,” said Thomas Ripoli, chief of the Fort Lee Police Department.

More than 117 tickets have been issued, according to the New Jersey Record.

Road Warrior: Deaths push Fort Lee to take jaywalking seriously

“If you give a pedestrian a ticket, he looks at you like you have two heads,” said Fair Lawn Patrolman Tim Franco, who heads the New Jersey Police Traffic Officers Association. “But when you have a serious public safety situation, as in Fort Lee, I’m glad they’re doing this.”

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

wow really, that's just crazy.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by storm2012

wow really, that's just crazy.

Soon we wont be able to talk while walking.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What about reading a map?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
ya know what,i can kinda relate to this 'law'.
i ride a bicycle,i do not drive a car. this is advantages for me because on a daily bases i see these idiots walking with there head down texting,totally oblivious to their surroundings. i constantly have to swerve out of the way cause these idiots dont even see me coming! imagine if i drove a car!!!
even worse are the clowns standing in the middle of a parking lot texting,like its their right to stall all traffic so they can text! its illegal in ontario to talk or text while driving,so why not walking as well? if your text is that important,step aside and stop to text!
now enforcing this walking&texting 'law' is another matter(maybe best left to by-law officers)
like j-walking,it will be impossible to enforce!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by satoriku
What about reading a map?

That would be too dangerous, sorry.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
What about eating while walking? What about thinking when walking? What about talking when walking?

And most of all ... What about walking when walking???

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
So Jaywalking is frowned upon ... What about Gaywalking?

CX

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I can see both sides to this, as a dad of two young teenagers who are forever texting whilst walking and then banging into lamp posts, i can see the concern for doing it.....however.....

To make it illegal is pretty stupid. The laws just keep coming but when was the last time you saw a law scrapped?

Let people do what they want, as i tell my kids, if you're stupid enough to look down whilst walking forward, don't expect any sympathy when you walk into something.

Same goes for getting run over.

CX.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

imagine if i drove a car!!!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
watch this video, and you will never text whilst walking ever again

edit, but yeah, more stupid laws are just what's needed. Gives the police yet another reason to beat people to death. "he was texting whilst walking, so we tazered him and pounded his head off the floor to protect him"
edit on 15/5/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

What can I do but laugh at this and Thank God I wasn't born in New Jersey. Is there anything that state doesn't have a law, tax or fee for? In my years in and out of it while trucking, I can't say they missed many, if any. This is new though. They needed a NEW law to address simple stupidity?

Wow.. So, what else need we pass laws on? Perhaps we need a new regulation to tell people that walking while looking at beautiful scenery through binoculars tends to lead people to walk right off the edge of a cliff (it happens..lol)? I got it.... I've always wanted to stick a fork in a light socket to see if it feels all tingly. I better consult the penal code first though, there may be a law against it. That might rob me of all my fun!

When common sense needs laws to enforce it, it's best to just give up and start over. It's too far gone for laws to fix.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

lol

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I wonder what they are gonna do about drinking whilst walking .... or eating whilst walking ..... walking and talking ....... breathing whilst blinking ....... farting when talking ....... lying when driving , i mean , WTF !

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster

I wonder what they are gonna do about drinking whilst walking .... or eating whilst walking ..... walking and talking ....... breathing whilst blinking ....... farting when talking ....... lying when driving , i mean , WTF !

Just had to give em all kinds of ideas didn’t you?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh heck, you're right OP... this subject is just too funny to take all that seriously outside NJ. Here is my contribution. I give him a...7 for form and a 6 for overall presentation. Hey, it's a 10 for dumb!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Man that's funny ! Cant make that sh** up.

edit on 15-5-2012 by maxella1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I'm totally against these types of laws. I have little sympathy for a idiot who gets run over while texting. I think of it as Darwins Law in action.

As for the idiots who text and drive and cause a injury or death...they should get life in prison. Don't ban the practice, just make the severity of the punishment harsher.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
WTF. Just because someone has difficulty texting while walking doesn't mean the rest of us do.

"It's for your safety" is what they say before extorting more money from you. Once again the law goes after the low hanging fruit (average citizens) instead of going after real criminals.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

ya i totally agree,but stupid people desevre stupid laws!
spitting on the side walk is illegal too,but if you have to remove some phlegm from your lungs,ya dont hork right in front of another person walking! use a kleenex,or a garbage or something,right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join