It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU forces commence first raid on Somali mainland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

EU forces commence first raid on Somali mainland

www.bbc.co.uk

EU naval forces have conducted their first raid on pirate bases on the Somali mainland, saying they have destroyed several boats.

The EU forces were transported by helicopter to the pirate bases near the port of Haradhere.

The attack was carried out overnight and, according to the European forces, no Somalis were hurt during the action.

The multinational forces used helicopters in conjunction with two warships to leave five of the pirates' fast attack craft "inoperable".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
worldnews.msnbc.msn.com[/u rl]
[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/15/eu-anti-piracy-raid-somalia?newsfeed=true]www.guardian.co.uk

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The EU is getting more involved in world affairs. I welcome this as long it's done with morals and ethics in play.

The piracy problem is unlike other problems because it is a threat to everyone as the necessity of oil is global.

The best solution would be to end the problem at the source rather than at seas where often it is too late to prevent hijacking of oil tankers.

I also hope the EU doesn't become a puppet to the USA and instead carries out its operations as it deems necessary or not.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I welcome neither interference or the emergence of the "EU" as some sort of unified entity in terms of military action

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Morals and Ethics? In Somalia?? LOL.... Ever seen Blackhawk Down? That half in/half out approach is what caused that to happen. I hope the EU is sincere and does more than a single hit on one support base. This is a regional problem that's become a major Somali industry, as it were. I just hope they watch what happened to the UN, Pakistanis and U.S. forces in the early 90's. That isn't a land for 'values' and 'morals' as much as it's a place to go, get a job done and leave as quickly as one arrived.

If the Somali pirates would stop terrorizing international shipping across one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, they wouldn't have everyone from American to Iranian to European forces hunting them down to kill every last one of them. At this point, I wish the international forces working in those waters all the luck in the world toward achieving their goals.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If you all thought NATO was evil, just wait until the Euro troopers begin to make themselves known.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Jepic

Morals and Ethics? In Somalia?? LOL.... Ever seen Blackhawk Down? That half in/half out approach is what caused that to happen. I hope the EU is sincere and does more than a single hit on one support base. This is a regional problem that's become a major Somali industry, as it were. I just hope they watch what happened to the UN, Pakistanis and U.S. forces in the early 90's. That isn't a land for 'values' and 'morals' as much as it's a place to go, get a job done and leave as quickly as one arrived.

If the Somali pirates would stop terrorizing international shipping across one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, they wouldn't have everyone from American to Iranian to European forces hunting them down to kill every last one of them. At this point, I wish the international forces working in those waters all the luck in the world toward achieving their goals.

With morals and ethics I meant to keep innocent casualties non existent.
In my opinion the infamous US operation was poorly planned approached with a full superiority complex. Well planned missions taking everything into account would not have been a problem.

I mean who sends helicopters in the middle of a urban area full of people with RPGs. You are just asking to get shot down. And it's what happened.

Me? I suggest going in stealthy.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

reply to post by Jepic

In my opinion the infamous US operation was poorly planned approached with a full superiority complex. Well planned missions taking everything into account would not have been a problem.

I mean who sends helicopters in the middle of a urban area full of people with RPGs. You are just asking to get shot down. And it's what happened.

any military action cannot guarantee innocent casualties being non existent- as such, the ridiculous EU has no business killing people in other parts of the world (which will inevitably happen)
edit on 15-5-2012 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
EU forces? trust the BBC to come out with that! Surely that's enough proof they intend and have intended for some time for Europe to become one big superstate.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Okay, you have a fair point on giving it every reasonable effort, if the pirates don;t locate in the middle of civilians (or their own sympathetic supporters).

On the battle of Mogadishu, I couldn't agree more about arrogance. Clinton said no to the air support that mission required to handle the problems which developed. It's not like that wasn't anticipated and planned for. The solutions were denied, so the men went in with half of what they needed and got ALL of the failure that approach brought. Personally, I was rather opinionated at the time that Daddy Bush and Clinton should BOTH have stayed clear out of the whole mess....but pictures on TV of starving Somali children got the do gooders to weeping and next thing ya know, we had U.S. troops on Somali streets to protect the UN food shipments. Amazing how these things develop.

Sounds like the EU is off to a decent start anyway. Smash them (the pirates) flat and get the heck out...don't stay to play aid worker or peacekeeper and they ought to have much better luck than America did there.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by Jepic

reply to post by Jepic

any military action cannot guarantee innocent casualties being non existent- as such, the ridiculous EU has no business killing people in other parts of the world (which will inevitably happen)
edit on 15-5-2012 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

I believe it can. A well planned, professional and resourceful operation can guarantee a clean victory. Many times in history and recent too has there been such a result. See the latest one. Bin laden operation.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Some people have absolutely no idea what the Euro is all about, again, if you thought NATO was evil then your just about to get a reality check....

European Gendarmerie Force

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

sorry what, the Bin Laden one is your proof?

Individual actions can work like that but sooner or later you will end up with civilian casualties- now take yer Bin Laden offering-

- who carried this out?

the US

which other military adventures have the US been involved in

- Afghanistan and Iraq

have their been thousands of civilian deaths?

Yes

Same will happen with the EU if they turn into imperalist warmongers- this should be opposed

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
BBC bs their way as usual.

This was no less than a Nato raid.

EU my arse!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I really hope there is no foolish enough to join or be drafted into any PTB military unit ever again. Has no one learnt anything yet. There is no need and if violence solves problems then I really hope the SUN SUPERNOVA's and we're all free to reset and go back to the Spirit Universities because some need to.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

EU my arse!

You do realise that the various EU military forces do exist outside of NATO?

www.eunavfor.eu...

en.wikipedia.org...

Just because some nations assigned to EU NAVFOR are NATO members does not mean that they are operating under NATO command for the anti-piracy mission.

The same applies to EU For in for example Bosnia. They replaced NATO forces some time ago.

www.euforbih.org...
edit on 15-5-2012 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yeah our navy has been there doing the anti-piracy stuff for awhile. Been some controversies over here about it too.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
HA!!! They went to Somalia to fight pirates, we went to Afghanistan to fight terrorists. I got the same impressions of a puppet government when I read this article.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by Jepic

sorry what, the Bin Laden one is your proof?

Individual actions can work like that but sooner or later you will end up with civilian casualties- now take yer Bin Laden offering-

- who carried this out?

the US

which other military adventures have the US been involved in

- Afghanistan and Iraq

have their been thousands of civilian deaths?

Yes

Same will happen with the EU if they turn into imperalist warmongers- this should be opposed

Whatever you say. But I disagree and my opinion still stands.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

If it was a NATO operation then that's how it would be described as such. The BBC are reporting accurately. Do the research.

www.eunavfor.eu...

The EU naval force is a legitimate organisation charged with a defined task.

What's the problem. Pirates are scum and deserve what they get.

Regards

EDIT just to add and credit tommyjo for getting to the EU naval force info first
reply to post by tommyjo

edit on 15/5/2012 by paraphi because: Edit for reason given

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I enjoy how they state that no somali"s were injured during the raid. I wonder what they consider an injury. I honestly dont beleive the pirates went down without incident. just stating thats all its not like i was there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join