Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Anyone seen "Russian Ark"?

page: 1

join
CX

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I watched this last night and loved it. I'm a relatively new lover of facinating and beautiful old architecture, so this was a fascinating insight into Russian history and also the Hermatage Museum. Going from room to room in this beautiful building, and having your own tour guide from those centuires long gone....it was a really enjoyable watch.

The way it was filmed was amazing too, one conitineous 96 minute shot. I'm rubbish at film reviews anyway so i'll leave you to the trailer and the first part of the making of it.....

Just for your info, the guy behind the camera is the narrator who has supposedly died in an accident, so he is a ghost walking through the many rooms of the museum, the guy in front is a European travelling companion.....heres a better quick explanation from Wiki....

An unnamed narrator wanders through the Winter Palace (now the main building of Russian State Hermitage Museum) in Saint Petersburg. The narrator implies that he has died in some horrible accident and is a ghost drifting through the palace.

In each room, he encounters various real and fictional people from various time periods in the city's three-hundred-year history. He is accompanied by "the European", who represents the nineteenth-century French traveller, the Marquis de Custine (The fourth wall is repeatedly broken and re-erected; at times the narrator-director and the companion interact freely with the other performers, and at other times, they go completely unnoticed).

en.wikipedia.org...

CX
edit on 15/5/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Yup, I've seen it..years ago actually, but weirdly enough I was thinking about it yesterday out of the blue and thinking I would really like to see it again. I have a feeling it's the kind of movie that must be watched more than once or twice to start to understand it. I found it very strange but fascinating, ruined only by my idiot partner at the time, now my ex, yakking in my ear about how much he didn't like it...
Definitely worth a look if you're a film buff, or an architect, or a historian, or simply love beautiful films, but don't expect the usual historical drama...it's on another level altogether. Very hard to describe. Best to watch it really.

Thank you for the reminder!

CX

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Thank Caitlin, yes you described it better than i did but it is a hard one to describe isn't it? I told a few people about it yesterday, but i just couldn't do it justice.

I agree it is something that probably gets better with time, i was too engrossed with the strangeness of the film first time round. I also want to focus more on the art he was talking about, it was lovely hearing about certain pieces from the mouth of someone who supposedly lived those times and could tell you personal details that others would not know.

Very excentric, but a nice change from the usual rubbish on tv these days. I'm in the UK, and have Sky (curse me if you wish), i am forever thinking about getting rid of it but they have two great Sky Arts channels on there which makes up most of my viewing these days.

Seeing films like this pays for the subscription itself in my eyes.

So anyone who cares to take a look at this, i would urge you to watch it more than once, it's the kind of film where you just can't take it all in first time round and are bound to see more each time.

CX.
edit on 15/5/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
sounds good, right up my alley. its original, it looks gorgeous and its not hollywood.
definetly going to watch this one

CX

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
sounds good, right up my alley. its original, it looks gorgeous and its not hollywood.
definetly going to watch this one

Great

There is the full version on YouTube.

If anyone has any other recommendations that are not as you say, "Hollywood", i'd love to hear about them.

CX.

top topics

join