It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would like some advice on how to better explain the situation to this person.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
A friend of mine sent me a email about recent events having to do with ron paul and such and i think his understanding of it is a bit off. Im not here to undermine his free speech or what he believes i just want to make sure he can have the truth in his mind to make good judgments. Here is the letter. Ps. If this is in the wrong section please move.

I knew this by watching past conventions on TV. Many times a state will split its votes. But take at look at what happened in Oklahoma a few days ago and you will see what will be happening in a lot of states. I know you what Ron Paul, but his people are trying to use mob rule to take over. That produces nothing but choas. This is disturbing coming from a group of people who hold to the constitution and believe in free speech. But remember, that free speech should be for everyone, and shouting each other down will result in madness. People were actually punching each other in Oklahoma, and Ron Paul came out with no delegates.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sorayugiman

1. Does your friend know that you are posting his personal letter to the world?

2. What "truth" do you want him to know? Your beliefs and opinions are not necessarily the truth, you know...

It sounds more like your post is a plea for help to convince your friend of your way of thinking.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, and no not really. If i wanted to do that i would try to do that instead of trying to find people here who could better explain things more than i can. And no im not saying my way is the truth but the truth is still truth. You can say it means something different to everyone but their is still 1 single truth that everyone to look at and say for sure.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sorayugiman

I don't think quoting his email here is an ethical violation- no names were used.

As far as how to answer.. well of course he's entitled to his opinion, but friendly debate is not a violation of his rights, and the tone of the email suggests he wants a considered response from you.

You could probably begin by telling him about the real mob gang-up to discredit Paul- the ongoing campaign to block voters from misrepresenting or even hearing this side of the political debate. Help him to see that isn't right either.

American politics has always been a bit of a slug-fest, often literally. Is this wrong? I don't know... a bit of a spirited scuffle keeps the public interested.

The issue of delegates vs popular vote is a delicate one: our political system was not designed to be a mob-rule democracy, and there were good reasons for that. The best argument to make might be this: The media has a powerful control over public opinion and has a definite agenda to steer elections, and the ability and willingness to do so deceptively. Delegates are far more engaged in the political issues and candidate positions than most people are, and thus are better informed voters. When we don't have the time or inclination to study something fully, we delegate the task to someone else. If the delegates, having considered the issues more deeply than the latest CNN news blurb, reach the conclusion that Paul is a better choice than Romney for the interests of the local constituents, then they are simply doing what they were delegated to do. Say (for example) you want to find the best heating system for your home, but don't have the time, technical knowledge or patience to research the subject. You may know of a few leading types because they advertise heavily. You hire someone to do the research for you, and they discover another type that you weren't familiar with that would be far better than the ones you knew of.

By the way- I heard that the ones throwing the punches were Romney supporters.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sorayugiman
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, and no not really. If i wanted to do that i would try to do that instead of trying to find people here who could better explain things more than i can. And no im not saying my way is the truth but the truth is still truth. You can say it means something different to everyone but their is still 1 single truth that everyone to look at and say for sure.

You want the truth?

Here it is,

Ron Paul's supporters are out of control and ruined his campaign. His official campaign announced they do not support thier thuglike actions.

Instead of requoting from Paul's campaign taking the Paulbots to the woodshed here again, I will direct you over to this thread to read up on it.

A thread I authored with quoted statements from Paul's Official Campaign

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

Thank you for your response it was nice a complete.
It was good advice

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I asked my baby brother how he would handle this:

He just posted this link:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

(Yeah, I'm a 30 year old who can think for myself, but I ask the baby when it comes to some of this because he's got 2 things going for him: he spends much more time researching it, and he's a genius (literally, lol).)

new topics

top topics

join