It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Video of Jupiter passing the sun. Watch it almost get zapped.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I saw the thread title and thought. No way Jupiter is passing in front of the Sun. I guess I assumed when somebody said passing they meant in front of. Now I realize it was passing BEHIND the Sun. Those CMEs look wicked. But why does Jupiter have a line through it?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
Nahhhh, it is not Jupiter, it is Saturn, viewed edge on, so its rings appear just like a straight line

From this distance would the rings be visible?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I saw the thread title and thought. No way Jupiter is passing in front of the Sun. I guess I assumed when somebody said passing they meant in front of. Now I realize it was passing BEHIND the Sun. Those CMEs look wicked. But why does Jupiter have a line through it?

blooming of the CCD. One some (older) CCD cameras, that was a common problem when a bright object is imaged. The image is read out serially, and the sensors that are overloaded by the bright object, leaks some electrons when you read it out, so that is why you get those streaks from bright objects.
(very simplified explanation, but I have a couple of thick books explaining it all), so if you want more info, I can give you the actual info, explained in the finest details....
edit on 16/5/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Nahhhh, it is not Jupiter, it is Saturn, viewed edge on, so its rings appear just like a straight line

yes, even in a small telescope you can see Saturn's rings. (but that is all hypothetical, as I was only joking... I was referring to the appearance of the CCD bloom, that make it look like Saturn when viewed through a small telescope)

Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show you what Saturn looks like in a small telescope. But even through binoculars (10x) you can see the rings.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

yes, even in a small telescope you can see Saturn's rings. (but that is all hypothetical, as I was only joking... I was referring to the appearance of the CCD bloom, that make it look like Saturn when viewed through a small telescope)

Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show you what Saturn looks like in a small telescope. But even through binoculars (10x) you can see the rings.

Awesome!
I never knew.
Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join