It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memes and isms: The bars of our cage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So last night, I engaged in a certain mind expanding exercise, the specific name of which I am sadly forbidden to mention in these parts.

The upshot of that, however, was a certain realisation which came to me during the experience; and that was the realisation of how dangerous memes actually are.

I've come to realise, that in our society, increased emphasis is being put on a specific set of primitives, concepts, building blocks, memes, paradigms, or tv tropes. The people running the show, don't particularly mind which building blocks we use, just as long as we remain focused on said blocks, rather than the raw stream if you like, which exists above and beyond said blocks.

Of course, the problem is that you can't stay completely outside of any paradigm for long periods of time, without going quite hopelessly and completely insane; but when you think about it, that in itself poses the conundrum. We've been trained to think, in this society, that sanity itself is defined by always making sure that you exist purely within a confined, set box; whereas my own experience has actually led me to believe, that it is actual insistence on the constancy and false reliability of said box, that is the really greatest threat to my sanity.

I have to learn, also, to try and reconcile the tension between the world I would like to see on the one hand, and the rather distressing and depressing mess that we see before us, on the other. I'm very sure that I am not alone in having to try and resolve that particular duality, at the current time.

I am starting to recognise, I think, all of these concepts and memes and isms as bars of my cage. I don't know how to get out of said cage, yet; but I am trying to learn to recognise the bars for what they are, and cease to allow them to affect me.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Very nice,

I too, feel the same way.

Lately I've been reading a lot of Jaques Derrida. His deconstruction method—though usually applied to literary criticism—also does wonders for the one who feels uniquely free in undermining all concepts, memes, dogmas, prevailing beliefs and morals etc.

Edit to add.

Found this

edit on 14-5-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

The information you need to know is that people are "team" oriented. They tend to support their "team" regardless of ethical consideration.

People will support their "team" to the extend of harming a person they perceive as being on another "team" without realizing what they are doing.

This is a deep psychological side effect from living in tribes of hundred to thousands for so many years. It's why we have a political duopoly (R's and D's) in America.

Every politician knows this. That's why they play to it all the time, you don't realize it unless you know.
edit on 14-5-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Rofl

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

I am starting to recognise, I think, all of these concepts and memes and isms as bars of my cage. I don't know how to get out of said cage, yet; but I am trying to learn to recognise the bars for what they are, and cease to allow them to affect me.

That is one of the secrets I think Petrus,,, ceasing the allowance of effect.

Breaking free is one of my missions in this lifetime,, well, perhaps others too....

new topics

top topics

join