It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Graduates: Don’t Believe the Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Obama to Graduates: Don’t Believe the Media

(CNSNews.com) - President Barack Obama pointed a finger at the news media today when he gave the commencement address at all-female Barnard College in New York City, attributing some of the blame for what he described as a lack of faith in American institutions on news reports that focus on “sensationalism” and “scandal” and carry “a message that change isn’t possible."

n a survey conducted last September, Gallup discovered that 47 percent of Americans believe the media is "too liberal" while only 13 percent believe it is "too conservative." Thirty-six percent said they believed the media was "just about right."

cnsnews.com...

Yes people don't listen to that sensationalist media that tells you that right wingers hate old people,women and children and want you to breathe dirty air and dirty water!!

No wait oops of course your suppose to believe that!!!

Just don't believe that Obama is the worst Potus since Carter and the most fascist one since Rooselvet!!!

Yes Americans just believe the lies Obama tells YOU!!!!!

Golf clap for the Liar in chief

edit on 14-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

He makes some good points. The media DOES prefer fear and sensationalism over substance. Do you disagree?

And while I might be too cynical to believe 'change is possible', I agree that cynicism is something carefully cultivated by 'tptb' to ensure no one even tries.

edit on 14-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Dear stanguilles7,

Good to see you again. Yes, there is a lot of sensationalism in the press, but I wonder about the cynicism. Who was it that got a tingle up his leg listening to Obama? And the "Hope and Change" message was widely accepted. There seemed to be no press cynicism concerning our current President.

That leaves open the question of what has changed? Perhaps they are turning on him. (For what, I don't know) Perhaps the facts are just looking so ugly that they can't be made to sound hopeful.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Democrats are always so quick to play the minority card.

“And while opportunities for women have grown exponentially over the last 30 years, as young people, in many ways you have it even tougher than we did,” Obama said.

cnsnews.com...
Are young people a minority now? Maybe Obama should do something for these 'minorities' instead of hustling them and making them chumps. His bs is insulting.

Women and young people are not stupid enough to fall for his bs twice are they?
edit on 14-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

“No wonder that faith in our institutions has never been lower, particularly when good news doesn’t get the same kind of ratings as bad news anymore,” Obama said. “Every day you receive a steady stream of sensationalism and scandal and stories with a message that suggest change isn’t possible; that you can’t make a difference; that you won’t be able to close that gap between life as it is and life as you want it to be.

“My job today is to tell you don’t believe it,” said Obama. “Because as tough as things have been, I am convinced you are tougher. I’ve seen your passion and I’ve seen your service. I’ve seen you engage and I’ve seen you turn out in record numbers. I’ve heard your voices amplified by creativity and a digital fluency that those of us in older generations can barely comprehend. I’ve seen a generation eager, impatient even, to step into the rushing waters of history and change its course.

“And that defiant, can-do spirit is what runs through the veins of American history,” Obama said. “It’s the lifeblood of all our progress. And it is that spirit which we need your generation to embrace and rekindle right now.”

Sounds like a post that would be on ATS. How evil.

edit on 14-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
What Media?
I have not even seen a paper boy in years.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not an Obama supporter but he's been a better President than Bush. Bush was the biggest idiot I've seen run a powerful nation. Yes Obama inherited Bush's shipwreck but he also continued many of his policies as well. Despite all that, he's obvious an elite puppet.

I fear Romney more so than Obama. That being said.. it seems the only way America will change is through some sort of intervention.. because the people lost control and quit caring to get their nation back.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
More double speak from a man who has mastered the art of media hype and sensationalism. He milked it for all of its worth in 2008 and continues to do so today. Just look at his obvious moves to thrust certain stories into the headlines knowing that said stories will serve to feed the media frenzy that he is so quick to disown in his speech.

He owes his whole presidency to the mainstream media. His personal henchmen and his loyal lapdog.

Word to graduates...Don't believe Obama's own hype. He is a wordsmith. Believe his actions!!!!

Same speech.. Obama believes in a flawed constitution. Catch his last line.. We look "forward" not back. Sometimes you have to look back and learn Obama...

edit on 14-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by disfugured

Just asking out of curiosity. What do you think President Romney would do that would be more frightening than what President Obama would do? The economy? Size of the government? Individual rights?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The graduates shouldn't believe the news media about much. They shouldn't believe the hype on either side of the aisle. They shouldn't believe that Obama is a great candidate, but they also shouldn't believe he's Satan incarnate or something.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
reply to post by neo96

“And while opportunities for women have grown exponentially over the last 30 years, as young people, in many ways you have it even tougher than we did,” Obama said.

cnsnews.com...
Are young people a minority now? Maybe Obama should do something for these 'minorities' instead of hustling them and making them chumps. His bs is insulting.

I must have missed it. Where did he call young people 'minorities'?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by Germanicus
reply to post by neo96

cnsnews.com...

I must have missed it. Where did he call young people 'minorities'?

It's an inference within the context of that one line. Sandwiching "young people" right in between women who have struggled for 30 years and "we". Who is/are the "we" in that statement? If he is referring to his generation, he is way off the mark in regards to opportunity or his he referring to his race as the "we". It's subtle but I think its there and I think it was left open the the very reason that we discussing it.

It was well written into the speech and serves to create and open book. Especially when you consider how some "young people" see themselves in today's society. The entitlement generation is disappointed and downtrodden and Obama aims to play them like a dime store fiddle.
edit on 15-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2012 by jibeho because: typo and clarity

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Obama call someone else a liar is sure the pot calling the kettle black.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Obama 'Stereotyped, Simplified and Used' Us: Barnard Woman Objects to President's Commencement Speech
www.breitbart.com...

Obama’s Politicized Commencement Speech

The Politics Behind Obama's Non-Political Speech
Written by Ayelet Pearl
www.cpreview.org...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
interesting response from a Barnard student regarding Obama's commencement address.

"Stereotyped, Simplified and Used"

A student at Barnard College, Ayelet Pearl, has written a stirring protest to President Barack Obama's commencement speech yesterday. Noting that the president's words were "beautiful," Pearl nonetheless objected to the use of the historic women's college as a political prop, and said that the event left her feeling "stereotyped, simplified, and used."

She also objected to the assumption by Barnard administrators that "all" the women at Barnard shared Obama's political agenda, and the same conformist liberal orthodoxy:

Barnard President Debora Spar, in an interview on MSNBC, boldly told the show’s hostess that “they’re [Barnard students] all huge fans [of Obama].” Is that true? Can the president of Barnard College say, in good faith, that every single one of her students is a fan of President Barack Obama? Are we that unindividual? Or are we just a liberal student body, and, as women, a key component of the Democratic vote? Too often, the assumed answer is yes.

Whereas feminism had meant a struggle for women to be able to make their own choices, the president's speech implied a new kind of conformity. Pearl noted that the so-called "war on women," which has been a staple of Democrat attacks on the GOP, denies the world that women live in today, and the choices women are making:

www.breitbart.com...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

This is classic. How many times daily do we see threads (many of which, you, NEO, have been involved in), saying you cant listen to the MSM.

'Cept of course, when its negative speak about obama. Then they obviously ONLY tell the truth.

Seriously, there is so much hypocrisy around here it is sickening.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

It's an inference within the context of that one line. Sandwiching "young people" right in between women who have struggled for 30 years and "we".

No inference. Women arent a minority either. He didnt mention minorities. Keep spinning your wheels.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
interesting how liberals came up so soon

what was the topic again ?
edit on 15-5-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

what was the topic again

I was wondering that as well.

It appears neo is mad at Obama for expressing sentiments about the media that he himself has expressed.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Obama is lying
Change is NOT possible with him in the white house

top topics

<<   2 >>

join