It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the Ancient Alien Theory difficult to accept?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well, OP the problem I have with most and not all ancient alien theorists; not the theory itself, is they throw the baby out with the bath water and make huge illogical leaps in judgement, second guessing the accounts of ancient people. They completely over look the spiritual/religious beliefs, writings and teachings of these ancient civilizations. They take their words and accounts and say, 'well there account can't be true the way they say.", then they make an illogical and unscientific leap that in fact what ever they saw and talked to no matter how it is described is an ancient alien. It's not logical and it's not scientific.

A perfect example is one I saw on the show "ancient aliens". Where in the show they showed a Mayan carving of an open serpent head and in the jaws of the head was a human head and they even said according to Mayan legend it was the representation of a god that emerged from the mouth of a serpent. Then, right after Tsokulos said. "Well WE KNOW that a human being can not emerge from the mouth of a serpent, SO the serpent MUST BE a spaceship and the human MUST BE an alien. Well, maybe or maybe one of their priests did see a human emerge from the mouth of a serpent in a trance state induced by chemicals and ritualistic pain.....which we know the Mayan priests used both.

The fact is, what ever ancient alien theorists and scientists believe about religions and gods, the ancient peoples did believe in it and they actually went through complex and extended rituals to enter trance states and trance states and altered states of consciousness do not operate according to the laws of waking reality, you can see people emerge from the mouths of snakes, you can see weird creatures and even talking animals, all of which are in the accounts of the Mayans and all of those examples are often equated as ancient aliens, by the AA theorists.

And I would say since the Mayan's used rituals, chemicals and trance states to talk to their gods rather then radios, it is far more likely that the many beings they saw were in a vision state rather then nuts and bolts aliens in a waking reality state.

Now, having said that I will say there is a possibility that ancient people did interact with aliens, but to exclude their spiritual practices many of which did create altered states of consciousness or hallucinations, depending on your belief, is actually a great disservice not only to these ancient cultures and beliefs, it is a great disservice to the whole AA theory as well.

And I would say not all AA theorists are equal. In fact Graham Hancock is at least one that has written a book; "supernatural" that does address and deal with the spiritual rituals and beliefs of these ancient cultures and for one I applaud him.

In closing I say that really the truth of the matter may very well lie somewhere between and if we turn every account into either, spirits or aliens, in the end we will probably never find the truth.

Well, OP you asked and that is my problem with the theory as it stands today.
edit on 15-5-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 15-5-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

THE ATHEISTS

The claim that there are beings more advanced than humans is intimidating to them. Not only do they have to consider the bible as a true document, they have to acknowledge that humans are most intelligent or the most advanced. They cringe at the term 'god', because it shows humanity's inferiority. The Ancient Alien theory forces these atheists to accept their true perspective place in the universe.

What say you?
edit on 14-5-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

As soon as I read this the alarm bells started ringing. I mean it's complete nonsense and purely your opinion. However it is entirely in line with the "You atheists are deluded because God does exist" threads.

I firmly believe there are beings out there far more advanced than we. So what? why is that intimidating? It's merely the logical conclusion if you accept that we are not alone and the universe is teeming with life. (FYI I have absolutely no evidence for this save for one thing, life survives in the most inhospitable of places and the more we investigate the origins of life the easier it seems to be to kick start it).

We cringe at the term God because it is a sign of mans ignorance. "God" is created to explain the inexplicable to an ignorant mind. This is why in the days when man was very ignorant about how the world worked there were gods for every single freaking occurance on the planet : sun, moon, day, night, winter, summer, storms, love, hate, war, good evil etc etc

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for 100,000 years. The only differences between Man then and Man now are some slight differences in the brain. These changes were completed 50,000 years ago. You may find this link useful.

Fossil Hominids: The Evidence for Human Evolution

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I don't agree with your Atheist theory.

Atheists are usually logical people. The idea of a god completely goes against this logical nature, therefore proof is needed before they can believe it to be true. I think the exact same thing goes for aliens, except it is logical that they exist. There is just no proof and therefore it would be idiotic to accept it as being true. Atheists are not always the stuck up arrogant people that they are expected to be, am an not Atheist myself, but I can clearly see an Atheists point of view.

Of course this can be the case for any intelligent human being, not just Atheists.
edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Not true, most people if not everyone is too dull minded to comprehend what 'god' is or isnt. Therefore the dumbest route you can take is to say nothing created it.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

I can even agree that not everything that is purported on the "Ancient Aliens" show on the History channel is plausible..a lot of it is picking at straws.

And that's the problem. People that oppose this theory assume that EVERYTHING stated about it on the show is presumed to be true for any of it to be true.

Logical Ancient Alien theorists do not subscribe to each and eveything new thing that the show comes up with. For us, it is mostly that the gods and angels of the bible were in fact extraterrestrial and created a slave race (humans) for the purpose of mining for gold.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
It's a theory, why do we have to "accept" it? It's only theory until proven otherwise. Relax, dude.

Just as anything is that existed before recorded history with physical proof, such s pictures or video camera (evolution, intelligent design)...

a theory.

My point is that while the AAT makes the most sense, I wanted to understand the different reasoning why it is on e that sees lots of reluctance toward it.

The reluctance comes from the fact that it is a relatively recent concept to our culture. I am a Christian, but if aliens came down from the sky and declared that we are products of their genetic engineering, I wouldn't be all that surprised. I am not that closed-minded.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

The term 'god' does not represent ignorance. It simply is an ancient term used to describe extraterrestrials visitors of Earth. This particular race was obviously more advanced than our human species. How does that represent ignorance?

he term 'god' should not intimidate anyone. It is just the same as we today say 'alien'.

If an alien race that had a million years head start on us, then you are absurd to think that it is more intelligent than you are, and that you really would be inferior to it.

Ignorance and arrogance are bliss...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

It's a theory, why do we have to "accept" it? It's only theory until proven otherwise. Relax, dude.

Just as anything is that existed before recorded history with physical proof, such s pictures or video camera (evolution, intelligent design)...

a theory.

My point is that while the AAT makes the most sense, I wanted to understand the different reasoning why it is on e that sees lots of reluctance toward it.

The reluctance comes from the fact that it is a relatively recent concept to our culture. I am a Christian, but if aliens came down from the sky and declared that we are products of their genetic engineering, I wouldn't be all that surprised. I am not that closed-minded.

So how is it that you are not able to conclude that the angels and gods of your bible are extraterrestrial?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for 100,000 years. The only differences between Man then and Man now are some slight differences in the brain. These changes were completed 50,000 years ago. You may find this link useful.

Fossil Hominids: The Evidence for Human Evolution

Slight differences?

We can talk, drive cars, and go to the moon.

These 'differences' do not suddenly emerge 'overnight' in any species.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I am talking biological differences. The problem with many AA theorists is that they seem to assume civilization emerged overnight. This is simply not true. Art and music has pretty much existed for that entire 100,000 years. Tools have existed before Homo sapiens sapiens as has shelter. Language has a clear progression throughout the history of Homo sapiens sapiens with rudimentary written language existing thousands of years before the Sumerians. Agriculture has existed for at least 12,000 years and with it came small communities. Human innovation has a clear progression of development over its 100,000 years. These things didn't just appear like many AA authors claim.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Did you ever think that it might be the other way around, that so called aliens described by ancient man were in fact Angels. It's all about interpretation, unless you actually witnessed it yourself.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

The term "God" means exactly that God or the creator or there's many other names. Like you said though the term God should not intimidate you whether you believe in him or not.
Now lets say aliens have traveled to this planet, solar system, galaxy, etc. Answer me this, why would they choose to come here from the billions of other inhabited planets out there in the universe.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I agree here. And in light of other information that i am learning about i'm becoming more of a believer. And that's crossing religion with what we actually have.

Am i pushing my belief on others? Nah, but i will explain my side thou and make them think.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven

My girlfriend very much believes in the Bible, that the earth is only 6000 years old, that men once lived to be 500 to 1000 years old etc etc.

I honestly can't say that I am an absolute believer in all this but I do believe there are grains of truth in it, taken from a time when humans barely understood what was going on.

Everything comes from something, EVERYTHING. When I discuss such things with her its like she already has the answers without even knowing the questions, to believe in anything so blindly and without question to me is pretty narrow minded no matter what one believes in. I see biblical stories written in the writings of other cultures before the bible was written ... That to me says alot. But who am I to tell her she is wrong or what to believe in ... There are points and arguments from both sides that make sense and others that make zero sense.

Truth is no one knows the whole truth. On both sides its all hypothesis and/or faith ... Hoping and believing they know the answer, some believe so much its embedded in their brain as facts.

Me personally I believe its all related, the same story from the past told from many different perspectives to fit many more peoples belief structure but in and of itself is the same story. Long ago something extraordinary happened. The ancient human civilizations somehow gained knowledge and were shown things beyond their technological development of the time that they themselves could not had gained alone.

Now whether it was from the help of some super intelligent humans, Aliens or a God can be debated until hard factual proof of some form is presented and even then, some simply will never change their beliefs regardless and is why some people will always have a hard time, or simply refuse to believe in or accept any other theory that differs from their own.

edit on 15-5-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

Very well written sir........I, personally, believe that the human race was 'interfered with' by a yet unknown race.

It still amazes me that the same people come back on similar threads just giving their opinions. Until we have definitive proof either way then this subject is very much worth discussing but everyone must leave their beliefs behind because otherwise it's a 'I believe' against 'you believe' forum.

Yes, I wrote 'I, personally, believe' in my first sentence but I'm not arguing with anyone.................it's quite simply what I believe after 50 years on this planet, that I can remember (which is a nod to reincarnation believers).

I BELIEVE that there was a singular worldwide event that caused the writing of all these distinct source documents (documents, tablets, scrolls...call them what you will). They were all written down from oral stories describing the beginnings of the human race. The story is very similar from culture to culture and from area to area................

What is the point in arguing about who is more precise or who wrote it down first when the actual event occurred way before it was written down?

It's obvious to any thinking person that the Old Testament version was 'sanitised' to fit in to their religious beliefs but I also believe that all other versions could only be written within their frame of reference.

However, did someone create 'sanitised' versions of the sumerian records and then bury them?
I can't see that happening and therefore think that it's probably a more accurate version of events that took place in the distant past.........

Will we ever know what actually happened? Probably not in my lifetime............

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

My beard is not gray
Oh ya, that's right I'm not god either
so sorry

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Klassified

You are right. Most atheists subscribe to the AAT ...that's not who I am talking about. I referred to the 'nothing is higher than me' atheists....

Those aren't atheists...

those are idiots...

sorry, I know you have been repeatedly spanked for the atheist nonsense you said in ops, just felt the need to add my 2 unneeded cents here.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

To answer the title's question as simply and quickly as possible: Because it can be difficult to fight deception..... or inception

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JonU2

Thanks, JonU2

I believe that some sort of interference of an unknown race also makes the most sense but then the question in my mind is where did they go ? The same question also works from the religious angle, where did God go ? One thing is certain ... which ever "view" you have, Someone with great knowledge, wisdom and technology had a keen interest in humanity long, long ago and had an interactive hand in his life and then up and left ... WHY ?

I really hope we do learn the truth in our lifetime, no matter what one believes it is a fascinating story even tho we are missing many chapters of it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

THE ATHEISTS

The claim that there are beings more advanced than humans is intimidating to them. Not only do they have to consider the bible as a true document, they have to acknowledge that humans are most intelligent or the most advanced. They cringe at the term 'god', because it shows humanity's inferiority. The Ancient Alien theory forces these atheists to accept their true perspective place in the universe.

I find it hilarious how most non atheists all seem to have a "reason" that we atheists deny the existence of god. Let me just state that it is not because we are intimidated by the claim of more advanced beings. What utter nonsense.

Let me be clear, and frankly, its not difficult to grasp:

We don't believe in God for SOLE reason that there is not a single, minute, tiny weeny, fleck/shred of proof for his/her existence. That's it. That's the only reason. Please don't try to make us out to be scared of a higher power when all we are scared of is how gullible people are to believe in fairy tales.

As for aliens. I definitely believe that we are not alone.. Now, do i believe that they have visited Earth? No, i do not. Why? Let me repeat myself:

there is not a single, minute, tiny weeny, fleck/shred of proof for their having visited us. Nothing. Nada. No clear video. No artifacts. No alien bodies. No alien tech. Nothing.

edit on 16-5-2012 by 3danimator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Klassified

You are right. Most atheists subscribe to the AAT ...that's not who I am talking about. I referred to the 'nothing is higher than me' atheists....

How do you know what 'most atheists' believe? By its very nature, atheism isn't a club. The only people I know who believe in AAT (as opposed to finding the possibility an interesting conversation point) tend to be on ATS, and they show a lack of understanding of other cultures, both modern, historical and ancient. They seem also to be extremely open to persuasion from hucksters with a very superficial sales pitch which ignores actual fact in favour of specualation which they then dress as fact.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join