It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the Ancient Alien Theory difficult to accept?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

What do I say? I say you think a lot like I do, ButterCookie, out-of-the box and with a completely open mind to all things, all possibilities. Check your U2s. Star and Flag!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iceglazedchickenwings
Why some folks refuse to believe that our ancestors were responsible for the construction of ancient megalithic sites/structures is beyond me. I like to think that men of old were fully capable of building such things, and because of this, I refuse to accept the ancient alien theory. What was in their actual tool-kit? I don't know.

Its hard to 'accept' that because it simply does not add up.

Mass of slaves? Certainly, Makes sense. But who is the mass of slaves being directed by?

It is someone who understands geometry, alignment, measurements, aerial views and architecture. This same someone also needed to provide the slaves with tools that were precisely able to cut through granite, limestone, etc. What were the tools of that time period?

Consider the structure, fitting, and chamber making..

Consider the weight of each block, some as heavy s 20 tons each....What could have moved these blocks in place, according to technology of the time period?

No wheels, no pulley's, and no iron tools.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

We broke away from the deep brainwashing of religion and felt that the bible was pure fantasy, then decided we would abandon the bible forever.

That's a great disservice to yourself. It's certainly not fantasy. It's the key to freedom.

We begin to trust in science and view the world with a more logical approach.

Which is a retarded notion because there is an abundance of logical approaches in the Bible. Maybe you are stuck on the old testament or maybe you haven't even read the Bible(I'd put my money on that you have not read it, it's evident in your words).

We broke
We
Then we were
We then
We recognize

So many "we" while I am sure you speak for yourself.

Go read your Bible instead of reading of or about it. Disregard this post even. You can read can you not? Why let others interpret it for you?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I personally don't find the theory so hard to accept, but what I believe is something that is completely on the other side of "alien" intervention in humanity's history.

My thoughts, and nothing more (so don't flame me, because these are just my thoughts), go something like this:

Humanity has been around a lot longer than we perceive. If we take all of these stories and legends from ancient cultures and homogenize them into one story line, I have a feeling that we would have a better starting point in which to further research our own history. I really do think that humans are the extraterrestrials of ancient lore. I think we are cast offs from a planet that was under distress through our own actions; akin to what we are doing to this planet now. Whatever happened in the distant past, humanity branched off among the stars. Some were able to sustain their level of technology, while other branches (like us) de-evolved in a manner of speaking. Without the power to sustain our technology, we were reduced to a cavemen like status (and history erased any sort of hint to the type of tech we may have had in the distant past). How long ago do I think this happened? Tens of millions of years ago, not the hundreds of thousands of years, as evolution suggests. As humanity on this planet began to form societies again (after tens of thousands of years of being nomads and interacting with the indigenous ape-like man of this planet), we were able to slowly develop our tech...tech that had been lost for some time (along with the knowledge of such tech). We started with masonry, then moved up the ladder to steam power, then electricity, and then the circuit board, and to where we are now. If you all notice, our technology in the past 100 years has exploded. The longer the time line, the shorter the advancement times. It's almost like a time-wave zero type of calculation. Imagine the type of tech we'll have 20 years from now.

My point is that perhaps these stories of "aliens from the stars" were actually scout teams of other humans searching the stars for places where the rest of their "clan" branched out to. They left certain types of tech in hopes of rejoining their brothers and sisters one day. The stories of our origins could have changed over the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years that humans have been here. Ever play the telephone game? I'll use a movie reference to sort of push my own thought point. Think of the remake of "Planet of the Apes." The pilot is sent a few thousand years in his future, and crash lands on a planet where humanity has de-evolved, and the apes have evolved to take over. The apes have their own religion, based off of the events of the crash of the mothership, thousands of years in the past. Their own evolution was the result of humanity tinkering with the apes' DNA. The story had changed so much that any semblance of the original incident was erased.

Who's to say that this didn't happen with us?

The feeling I get is that humanity doesn't quite fit in with the overall model of Earth's creatures, especially in our present time. We "evolved" far too fast to have our development be left to random chance. This is where the ancient alien theory comes into play. Either at some point along our evolutionary time-line, our DNA was manipulated in order to accelerate our progress, or we are the aliens. This would account for the fact that we have never found a direct link between us and the apes (and perhaps the correlation in shared DNA among all Earth's creatures makes this type of "life" a more widespread event than we can prove right now).

Where's the evidence, you ask? I have not a clue. Then again, if any of your are familiar with the show "Life After People" then you'll see that Mother Nature has a way of erasing something and starting anew. Sure, the monolithic structures of our ancestors still remain, and are a testament to human resolve and ingenuity (or maybe aliens helped...who knows), but what about before that? How far back does our history truly go? If our current society could be erased in a few thousand years, without a trace, then what existed before the monolithic builders? Maybe those people found some sort of ancient mathematical doctrine that enabled them to build these structures.

I see many things in patterns and cycles. The cycle of humanity, at least in my belief, is on a much longer time-line than we currently understand, and perhaps our origins are not of Earth, but of somewhere else.

I think many of our answers could lie buried in the sands of Northern Africa. It's amazing what wonders Mother Nature can hide from us. The answers could be right under our noses.

Anyway, thanks for reading my own thoughts on the matter. They may not make sense, and there is definitely no proof, but I have a gut feeling that I may be on the right track.

-TS

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Its hard to 'accept' that because it simply does not add up.

Mass of slaves? Certainly, Makes sense. But who is the mass of slaves being directed by?

It is someone who understands geometry, alignment, measurements, aerial views and architecture. This same someone also needed to provide the slaves with tools that were precisely able to cut through granite, limestone, etc. What were the tools of that time period?

Consider the structure, fitting, and chamber making..

Consider the weight of each block, some as heavy s 20 tons each....What could have moved these blocks in place, according to technology of the time period?

No wheels, no pulley's, and no iron tools.

This is a perfect example of how the Ancient Alien Theory shuts down fruitful thinking. The design of the pyramids shows an extensive knowledge of geometry and astronomy. People with that much sophistication must be capable of solving the logistical problems involved in building the pyramids, after all, they did it. We know they had wheels, pulleys and levers. They may have been able to overcome the limitations of heir bronze tools by a variety of techniques; carborundum and applied heat come instantly to mind. They had a highly organized, centralized society that could shift its assets as necessary. An open minded archaeologist can use all this to recreate how the Egyptians did it. The moment you think it can only have been aliens, your mind snaps shut.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

This is a perfect example of how the Ancient Alien Theory shuts down fruitful thinking. The design of the pyramids shows an extensive knowledge of geometry and astronomy. People with that much sophistication must be capable of solving the logistical problems involved in building the pyramids, after all, they did it. We know they had wheels, pulleys and levers.

DJW001:
I'm with you on this, but I must point out that, of the above three bolded things you listed, only levers are known to have been in the toolkit of Ancient Egypt.

Technically, a type of pulley was as well, but not a pulley that offered any mechanical advantage (IOW, not a compound pulley.)

As a skeptic, it's my duty to point this out.

Harte

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

My girlfriend very much believes in the Bible, that the earth is only 6000 years old, that men once lived to be 500 to 1000 years old etc etc.

I honestly can't say that I am an absolute believer in all this but I do believe there are grains of truth in it, taken from a time when humans barely understood what was going on.

Everything comes from something, EVERYTHING. When I discuss such things with her its like she already has the answers without even knowing the questions, to believe in anything so blindly and without question to me is pretty narrow minded no matter what one believes in. I see biblical stories written in the writings of other cultures before the bible was written ... That to me says alot. But who am I to tell her she is wrong or what to believe in ... There are points and arguments from both sides that make sense and others that make zero sense.

Truth is no one knows the whole truth. On both sides its all hypothesis and/or faith ... Hoping and believing they know the answer, some believe so much its embedded in their brain as facts.

Me personally I believe its all related, the same story from the past told from many different perspectives to fit many more peoples belief structure but in and of itself is the same story. Long ago something extraordinary happened. The ancient human civilizations somehow gained knowledge and were shown things beyond their technological development of the time that they themselves could not had gained alone.

Now whether it was from the help of some super intelligent humans, Aliens or a God can be debated until hard factual proof of some form is presented and even then, some simply will never change their beliefs regardless and is why some people will always have a hard time, or simply refuse to believe in or accept any other theory that differs from their own.

edit on 15-5-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by SpearMint

The religious idea of a 'god' would be illogical in nature...

an omnipotent being who punishes you for not worshipping him, but he himself committed more murders than anyone in our human history...yes, that is illogical.

The AAT is not talking about 'that kind of god'. According to it, 'god' is not a single being- it was a common term to describe an extraterrestrial visitor.

The same way we today say 'alien'.

See the thing humans like you tend to forget and like to say its illogical or doesn't make sense etc etc. Is that your missing the big picture If there is a God and all powerful omnipresent all knowing etc etc then God can do whatever God wants because *wait for it* *wait for it* Its all God's IF God made it then its God's rules as in "my way or the highway" because If your the most powerful being like God a few billion humans dying on this 1 out of trillions of planets in the universe big deal..Your forgetting that if there is a God then God wouldn't have to answer to anyone because no one could stop God. And the most logical of scientist know that the universe and earth couldn't have happened by accident but requires intelligent design. So to make along story short do't get mad and try to rationalize things because if there is a God which there is then your living in Gods universe and God makes the rules so you can either like it or not. Denying that God exist doesn't change the fact that God does
For example I could believe there is no such thing as air but me not believing in air wouldn't change the fact if it existed or not lol

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

My question for you is; Why do you whole-heartedly believe it to be true? What proof have you seen that Aliens have visited us in the distant past and actually interacted with the human race. What proof have you actually observed and understood for yourself.

It is called a theory for a reason.

I will say that I do not discount the possibility of what the popular T.V. series suggests being true, however I do not BELIEVE it as TRUTH.

I do believe after watching the show, that there are unexplained things all over the world that just dont add up. And I for one, am glad that folks are asking the questions and putting theoretical explainations to the test. Maybe someday we will no for sure how they moved those big rocks, or cut down into mountain rock to form buildings.

It all makes more sense than demons and gods and all that hoopla.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

See the thing humans like you tend to forget

Wait,

you're not human?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CloonBerg
With my current understanding of evolution, it is hard to imagine that our ancestral primates evolved into homo-sapiens so quickly (especially with the missing link).

As a student of biology you should know there is no missing link, the so called anomalies in our anatomy are all explained especially well in Dr Alison Roberts BBC series 'The incredible human journey'

I suggest you watch as its an eye opener on its own without involving aliens.
edit on 15-5-2012 by CrimsonMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

See the thing humans like you tend to forget

Wait,

you're not human?

you're killin' me...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

This is a perfect example of how the Ancient Alien Theory shuts down fruitful thinking. The design of the pyramids shows an extensive knowledge of geometry and astronomy. People with that much sophistication must be capable of solving the logistical problems involved in building the pyramids, after all, they did it. We know they had wheels, pulleys and levers. They may have been able to overcome the limitations of heir bronze tools by a variety of techniques; carborundum and applied heat come instantly to mind. They had a highly organized, centralized society that could shift its assets as necessary. An open minded archaeologist can use all this to recreate how the Egyptians did it. The moment you think it can only have been aliens, your mind snaps shut.

Actually, friend, it is the other way around. Modern Man cannot come close to the design and building clarity these Ancients had. Explain please the purpose and building of Tiahuanacu?

One of several large meticulously carved Andesite blocks at
Puma Punku

The blocks, many of them weighing upwards of 200 tons, are in some cases held together by large metalic, I-shaped couplers, rather than enterlocking shapes as at Sacsahuaman or at Cuzco. Others were held together by silver rivets. The system used here is reminiscent of that used in the Egyptian ruins on Elephantine Island on the Nile. Most researchers believe that the metal was actually poured into I-shaped slots carved into the rock.

www.atlantisquest.com...

Even with modern technology and information, these structures defy all logic, and confound those who seek to solve the mysteries within the strange structures. The ruins of Puma Punku are said to be the most fascinating, and most confusing of all. Who built these structures? How were these structures built? Why were these structures built?
Puma Punku is believed to have once contained a great wharf, and a massive four part structure that could have berthed several hundred ships, and yet the site is two miles from the sea. And there are many of these Ancient Megaliths all over the world, even in remote places!

Easter Island (Rapa Nui)

Stonehenge

Science, in all of it's wisdom, has created a very restricted system which fits all things into very precise little pigeonholes. If a given reality does not fit into its intended niche, they simply change the reality. If a culture leaves a record that says beings from the Stars built these Megaliths, there is a problem. Religionists simply state the Devil build them.
Here are the fact:
The Size of the Monoliths: Why use such large stones, and why build here?
Lack of Tools. All this with copper and bronze tools? No Wheels, Pulleys, or Cranes. Random Shapes of the Blocks. Quarry locations. Angles and Squares. Precise Astrological Alignments. Today we have computer designs, and many other tools for large construction projects....some of these people didn't even have a written language, and could not write down a plan.

It is when a Person, steeped in religious dogma, starts thinking God, or the Devil did it, or Ancient Stone Age man did it with primitive tools... that the mind closes off.
These Ancient Megaliths were not build by humans, and no amount of Bible quotes of Christian rhetoric will ever convince me otherwise.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

My girlfriend very much believes in the Bible, that the earth is only 6000 years old, that men once lived to be 500 to 1000 years old etc etc.

Hi. Tell yiour girlfriend I have rocks in my yard older than 6000 years, and have seen a wealth of evidence to the contrary. I live in Coal Country. Coal takes approximately 200 million years to form naturally. When decaying tree remains were put under super dense pressure under a thick layer of rock and soil, Coal formed. Can't do that in 6000 years.

Radiometric Dating
from The Evolution Evidence Page

Scientists have settled on the age of the earth of about 4.6 billion years as a result of research started almost 50 years ago. This conclusion was based upon carefully designed and conducted experiments that compared the ratios in rock samples of parent elements to daughter elements ( some of which would have been from radioactive decay of the parent, some of which may have been present in the sample at the time of formation). Since radioactive decay is known to occur at a constant rate, the age of a rock can be determined from the ratio of the parent element to the daughter element. The concerns about these dating methods were exactly the same that creationists continue to raise - presence of the daughter element at the time the rock was formed and possible loss / gain of either the parent or daughter element at some point in the history of the rock. For this reason, the tests were designed to account for those possibilities.
www.gate.net...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

They call our kind diffusionists. I belong to a group of them called the Ancient Artifact Preservation Society. Most of the members are way more knowledgeable than I am about tying everything together. I found things that made me question Science's intention and this steered me to going to a conference. I got my wife to go to one hour and she stayed for the rest of the conference. The same thing happened with the granddaughter. We're all going next year. It's a three day conference.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

For most the Ancient Alien theory is difficult to accept because they view aliens as some sort of made up fairy tale. In my opinion the answers are right in front of our faces. We know more about the moon than we do our own Earth. When I was younger I was obsessed with ancient Egypt, everything about it. I read everything I could on the subject. Then I heard something about aliens building the pyramids and I laughed at the fact. But as an adult now I feel stupid for doing so, I based my knowledge off of the many things I had read, which is obviously someones accepted belief. Once that show came out I knew I would catch myself saying "Oh My God".

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Either aliens did it, or some prehistoric giants.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Yea, I have ... stalactites/stalagmites and the Grand Canyon too. Some people just believe so absolutely that they simply close their minds to any other possibilities, which to me isn't exactly a good thing. Its so embedded in their minds that they are going to hell if they don't believe they fear changing, no matter how illogical, what they are told to believe.

The one thing I can get her on is ancient ruins that beyond any doubt where obviously tooled and quarried using technology beyond what these ancient people could had possibly possessed. It is obvious that some form of advanced technology and mathematics, in some cases, beyond or on par to what we have today was used. Is simply no way with the precision and repetition of perfect craftsmanship in these structures were these created by hand.

Me being a Journeyman Millwright of 20 years I can see the tool marks and precision in the materials, knowing what it takes to lift loads etc. Some are seemingly impossible feats by today's standards. Tools were put to work here, the signs are there its not magic or a miracle, that today cannot be explained ...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I do not believe or disbelieve. I think that its very strange that its on the history channel. The same channel that shows pawn stars. All main stream tv is controlled, why would they let this show be aired if it was true. Truth is power and it seems like they do not want us to have power.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I can only offer a religious point of view because since I believe in God and that he created all things including Science. Therefore this is how I see it. When you get to the core of this topic you find out that everybody is different, they look different, think differently, believe or don't believe things, its the way God made us. If everybody looked the same or thought or believed the same thing the world would be a very boring place. So what I'm saying is some people believe certain things even though it might turn out to be wrong because its the way God made us. My view on AAAT's is 1 they are looking at it from a scientific angle and that's all. Which is fine, but like someone mentioned earlier you have to use all of man's knowledge science, religion, etc. 2 AAAT's believe in aliens interfering or whatever you want to call it with ancient humans so badly cause they either can't believe humans were ever smarter than we are now and could build things like the Pyramids of Egypt, and they don't wanna think about humans as the only species in the galaxy or universe for that matter. So they think there must be other life out there somewhere, which is true I have no doubt. But whether they have come to this planet has yet to be explained properly. These stories and ancient murals depicting strange things that we interpret as flying saucers and aliens could have been interpreted totally differently by the ancient humans that actually saw it they just didn't know how to describe it at all, let alone in a way future generations could understand. The reason why I don't think any E.T.'s have landed on this planet is perfectly said in the old Boris Karloff radio program he did way back in the day with the whole "War of the Worlds" thing. It even says it in the movie, "By the time the aliens got here, breathed our air, ate and drank they were doomed" A great example was when the white men from Europe came to the Americas and spread their diseases to the native American's of North America and the Aztecs, Inca's, Maya's further south. People that believe in ancient aliens are the right track toward the truth but a little misguided. Atheist's I'm not even going to get started with, because why God would create something that doesn't believe in him is beyond me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join