It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother, Daughter Sued for Bad Church Reviews

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

This is going to be pretty hard to prove for the Church, IMHO.

Catholicism IS like a cult. There are rituals, tithes expected for members, things that only members can do that non members can't participate in, secret areas that only the elite of the order have access to, I could go on.

The likeness to a cult is very close.

It will be very hard for the church to prove that they are NOT a cult.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

S&F

Finally someone with brains comes out to show their true form.

ROFL

Thanks for the laugh.

That's what I tell my brother all the time and he insist that they're not, but he will try to convert you as best he can. ROFL

It's a total brain washed cult.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Why in the world do you think this has anything to do with the Catholic Church? Did I miss something in the article?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Since churches are tax exempt, they shouldn't be allowed to sue anybody.
They already have far more protection then they deserve.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This pisses me off, and I hope that they have the resources to counter-sue these morons for bringing a frivolous lawsuit into court...And I hope the mother and daughter are awarded much more than they were being sued for. Maybe that will teach these people that they cannot sue someone just because they talk down on their religion and practices.

That is free speech, and all they were doing was offering their opinion, which is why this will most likely be thrown out. If they do not have the money for a good defense, there are attorneys who would take the case just to be able to file a counter-suit, because they will likely win. I'm not a lawyer, but that is my assessment.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Wow big surprise a church trying to control people and destroy their lives for not being subservient to them. How dare this pastor try to infringe on the right to free speech I hope he gets laughed out of the courtroom. By the way Most religions and belief systems start out as cults and go from there. People now use the word cult in a negative light because of mister drink the Koolaide jim jones. Yes there are a lot of terrible cults that have come and gone but that doesnt mean all of them have been that way or will be that way

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
As Charles stated above, I'm not sure where you got that this church is Catholic. From readong their doctrinal statement, they appear to be evangelistic protestant. Most christian churches are nothing more than cults at this point. That's why more and more christians are leaving them. Just not fast enough to hurt their pocketbooks. Yet.

She described him calling for church elders to search closets of female congregants for clothes that are too revealing, among other lessons from the pulpit.

I agree with her. This is creepy. And I would add disgusting.

Here's a YT news clip about it.

Here's a link to her blog: bgbcsurvivors.blogspot.com...
edit on 5/14/2012 by Klassified because: eta

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This is sure to become an interesting news item to follow.

Maybe they should counter sue for false advertising on salvation and living Jesus theme. And have them produce the evidence or the family needs to expect a full refund for false information and running a confidence game. IMHO

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
Since churches are tax exempt, they shouldn't be allowed to sue anybody.
They already have far more protection then they deserve.

So what about citizens who don't make enough money to have a tax liability, should they be barred from being able to sue as well?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Dude your church, and a poor man on the street are two rather different things.

There mere fact that churches are tax exempt is disgusting. The mere fact, that churches are run like a business is disgusting.

They are used for control and fearmongering, manipulating the masses.

vvv

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Hey, im not the one who used tax-exemt status as an argument againsg litigation. My example was absurd on pourpose. It's called a "reductio ad absurdum".

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Hey, im not the one who used tax-exemt status as an argument againsg litigation. My example was absurd on pourpose. It's called a "reductio ad absurdum".

Mate, this is the second time, that you use this exact same quote in an argument.

[

That's a "reductio ad absurdum", that means I accept the false premise for arguments sake then reduce it to absurdity to show plainly that the logical conclusion of the false premise results in absurdity. This is basic logic in Philosophy 101 and rational debate. Google the term

One of your replies to me in another thread.

I know what it means, and I also know your stance in matters like this. It is not your job to defend the church mate, so do not feel like you have too.

The fact that the church is tax exempt is a very good point. Why exactly are they? It is absurd, since they are being run like a business, the same rules should be applied to them. It's not like they are short on money now is it? Especially the catholic churches.

vvv
edit on 15-5-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Interesting. As has been pointed out by Charles and others, it's not the Catholic Church....but.....that brings up a good point. The Catholic Church has paid out millions in damages for improprieties; hence a precedent for people to sue the CHURCHES....
but for a church, any church, to sue someone who points out what they are is the paradigm of hypocrisy and quackery. The pastor is a nutjob who has been called out for spreading nutjob superstitious nonsense and preying on people.

He should be arrested, and put in a room and peered at through a small window for the rest of his life. Preferrably with his mouth duct-taped shut.

As for churches losing congregations.....
the church next door to my house was a Baptist sect of some kind when I moved here in 1999. A few elderly parishioners and a middle-aged pastor or deacon or preacher (or whatever-the-hell title they use in the Baptist faith). Their attendance dwindled to a handful.... one guy even died during a service.... they kept the lawn mowed, at least, every week there was some old fart doing his churchly duty.

Then they sold the church to another Baptist crowd ..... it was a gospel-music type of style .... about 3 years ago. Their Easter marquee stayed the same for over a year. They had services for about six weeks...then it started tapering off...

no one mows the lawn now, most Sundays no one shows up at all. On Easter there was nobody there; only a neighbor who took her two kids over to use the yard for hiding Easter Eggs, and then screamed at them that they weren't looking in the right place.

How lame.

I've decided that in the event of absolute anarchy it would make a good facility for housing people and storing supplies; it's big, solid brick, not many windows...

I don't know if the place has been foreclosed, abandoned, or what.....but it is definitely not "drawing crowds of believers".

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It will be very hard for the church to prove that they are NOT a cult.

The story is a good example of why we need to never allow a state religion.
Too bad we already have one on the books in the US, which is Zionism.
We are bound by law being enacted, to support an oppressive apartheid regime and aggressive, offensive wars on the neighbors of this illegal occupation of Palestine.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

It's not like they are short on money now is it?

Most churches struggle to stay in the black actually. And of the professing Christians only 3% pay their tithes on a weekly basis. Churches aren't big business operations. And yeah, I use that argument style often, not going to change for you or anyone else. Sometimes it's relevant to take a conclusion to the absurd extreme just to show it's absurd.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Sounds like a good bit of double talk, as the churches often require 10 percent of your income, no matter the base period. These churches enforce the signing of contracts to have this happen and they'll collect from you.
These churches grow vastly and rapidly.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

the churches often require 10 percent of your income, no matter the base period. These churches enforce the signing of contracts to have this happen and they'll collect from you.
These churches grow vastly and rapidly.

What? They do??? I never was asked to sign a contract, nor to pay a certain amount of money. When did this all happen? To my knowledge and experience, the plate was passed, and people would put in a single or maybe a five, or a quarter or a dime. Yeah, they had envelopes there with the hymnals and prayer books, and golf pencils to use to fill out a 'contribution slip'...but it was totally optional, as far as I knew.

Then again, I was only a kid....but no one ever came a-knockin' asking me to return and pay up.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

edit on 19-5-2012 by cloudyday because: too negative

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

If churches struggle to stay in the black it's only because they pay their pastor an absurd salary. I suspect that at least half the priests and pastors are simply crooked burn-outs trying to make an easy buck.

But I do agree that I've never heard of contracts. But it's definitely a racket. Most of them are slimier than car salesmen.

Lol! I never thought of it that way. Hmmm..well,
YIKES. If someone is telling you you HAVE to PAY to be heard by God or be welcome to worship, erm, isn't that a good reason to

RUN!? ??

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by cloudyday

If churches struggle to stay in the black it's only because they pay their pastor an absurd salary. I suspect that at least half the priests and pastors are simply crooked burn-outs trying to make an easy buck.

But I do agree that I've never heard of contracts. But it's definitely a racket. Most of them are slimier than car salesmen.

Lol! I never thought of it that way. Hmmm..well,
YIKES. If someone is telling you you HAVE to PAY to be heard by God or be welcome to worship, erm, isn't that a good reason to

RUN!? ??

The problem is that people must check their common sense at the door before entering a church. When I go to a car dealership I know the salesman isn't my friend. When I go to a church I want to believe the pastor or priest is my friend. I want to believe the pastor or priest has some faith and cares about his work. I suspect most pastors and priests were sincere at some point and then gradually lost faith and became cynical. Meanwhile they had no marketable job skills and were forced to make of the best of things for themselves. Run is the best advice.

edit on 19-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join