It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NIBIRU AT LAST?? Brazilian Astronomer claims have found rogue planet hidden behind Neptune.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I was about to post this on Breaking News, because it hit MSM just today, but I think it's more appropriate in the topic Space Exploration, so there it goes.

An astronomer at the National Observatory of Brazil in Rio de Janeiro, named Rodney Gomes (mark this name, he may be making history), affirms he found a rogue planet hidden behind Neptune, that by his calculations could just fit in the depictions of NIBIRU.

Does Earth have a new friend?

An astrophysicist says it's likely that an as-yet undiscovered planet exists on the dark fringes of our solar system, messing with the orbits of celestial bodies in the Kuiper Belt, just beyond Neptune. Rodney Gomes says the new planet could be anywhere from half to four times the size of Earth and is likely a rogue planet that floated over from another solar system. Other space scientists say Gomes' findings may be a lot of hot air and aren't sure his calculations support his theory.

now.msn.com...

An as yet undiscovered planet might be orbiting at the dark fringes of the solar system, according to new research.

Too far out to be easily spotted by telescopes, the potential unseen planet appears to be making its presence felt by disturbing the orbits of so-called Kuiper belt objects, said Rodney Gomes, an astronomer at the National Observatory of Brazil in Rio de Janeiro.

Kuiper belt objects are small icy bodies—including some dwarf planets—that lie beyond the orbit of Neptune.

Once considered the ninth planet in our system, the dwarf planet Pluto, for example, is one of the largest Kuiper belt objects, at about 1,400 miles (2,300 kilometers) wide. Dozens of the other objects are hundreds of miles across, and more are being discovered every year.

What's intriguing, Gomes said, is that, according to his new calculations, about a half dozen Kuiper belt objects—including the remote body known as Sedna—are in strange orbits compared to where they should be, based on existing solar system models. (Related: "Pluto Neighbor Gets Downsized.")

The objects' unexpected orbits have a few possible explanations, said Gomes, who presented his findings Tuesday at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Timberline Lodge, Oregon.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

If he's correct, this could be the astronomical find that finally corroborates the translations of Sumerians tablets made by Zecharia Sitchin. The intriguing part is how this object is keeping itself hidden from Earth telescopes... Perhaps it's not really a planet... Perhaps it's artificial in nature...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm trying to find any information about Gomes presentation at meeting of American Astronomical Society in Oregon. Any help is welcome!

+10 more 
posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
1. This has already been posted...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

2. The proposed object has nothing at all in common with the alleged NIBIRU.

3. The astronomer does NOT "claim to have found" anything at all.
He's saying something might possibly exist.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
But the article doesn't once mention that it may or may not be Nibiru, just a rogue planet with a size similar to Pluto. Doesn't exactly fit NIBIRU descriptions.

With that in mind however, will be interesting to see what comes of this?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

YES it has to do with Nibiru, concerning the elongated orbit and the way it disturbs the objects in the Kuiper belt, and YES the astronomer claim have found something behind Neptune, and his speculation is only about the nature of the object.

How big exactly the planetary body might be isn't clear, but there are a lot of possibilities, Gomes added.

Based on his calculations, Gomes thinks a Neptune-size world, about four times bigger than Earth, orbiting 140 billion miles (225 billion kilometers) away from the sun—about 1,500 times farther than Earth—would do the trick.

But so would a Mars-size object—roughly half Earth's size—in a highly elongated orbit that would occasionally bring the body sweeping to within 5 billion miles (8 billion kilometers) of the sun.

Gomes speculates that the mystery object could be a rogue planet that was kicked out of its own star system and later captured by the sun's gravity. (See "'Nomad' Planets More Common Than Thought, May Orbit Black Holes.")

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
But the article doesn't once mention that it may or may not be Nibiru, just a rogue planet with a size similar to Pluto. Doesn't exactly fit NIBIRU descriptions.

With that in mind however, will be interesting to see what comes of this?

I never said the article mentions Nibiru. It's my own reasoning that it COULD BE the same object from Sumerian genesis. And I assume you didn't read the whole article because he states the object could be 4 times bigger than Earth, was dragged into our Sun's orbit with a very elongated path. Well, IMO this has a big chance of being a candidate to Nibiru.

+12 more 
posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Gomes offers two alternatives;

1) A Neptune sized object with an orbit of 140 billion miles. Such an object would have an orbital period of about 58,000 years. Not quite the 3,600 which Sitchin claimed for his mythical Nibiru.

2) A Mars sized object which has a perihelion of 5 billion miles. Nibiru is supposed to intrude upon the inner Solar System every 3,600 years. 5 billion miles is beyond the orbit of Pluto. That doesn't qualify either.
edit on 5/14/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You do know that this article is full of words like "might" and "maybe"?

Theres nothing concrete to go on whatsoever.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard
and YES the astronomer claim have found something behind Neptune, and his speculation is only about the nature of the object.

Didnt you even read the link you posted?

Too far out to be easily spotted by telescopes, the potential unseen planet...
Gomes said, is that, according to his new calculations...
Gomes ... compared his results to computer models...

He hasnt actually found anything at all.
Its just a theoretical calculation.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Nibiru does not exist. I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't. Other planets exist, but Nibiru doesn't. There is no such thing as a winged planet hat will save humans from disaster. You can't steer a planet.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So if this planet does exist, is it a threat to us or simply a new neighbor? Im ok with a new neighbor.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Regardless the possibility that Sitchin could have miscalculated the orbit of what the Sumerians called "Nibiru", just the fact that finally someone from INSIDE the club finally admitted the possible existence of this alleged rogue object, looks a pretty good step to start disclosing it.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

So Sitchin was off by only 55,000 years? That doesn't really fit in very well with the rest of his story.

There have been a number of such hypotheses. None of which have any hard evidence to support them.

The Sumerians called several different things Nibiru; including a star and Jupiter.

The existence of an object anything like Nibiru (which, as Sitchin would have us believe, periodically enters the inner Solar System) is a physical impossibility. It would disrupt the orbits of the planets hopelessly.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avalessa
Nibiru does not exist. I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't. Other planets exist, but Nibiru doesn't. There is no such thing as a winged planet hat will save humans from disaster. You can't steer a planet.

So Nibiru does not exist only because you said so??? And by the way "winged planet" is only an ICON used by Sumerians to depict what they saw in the sky, and it could have been anything INCLUDING an alien space station. It's not like I care about naysayers opinions, but it's very interesting that there's a verse in the 5th tablet of the ENUMA ELISH depicting "Nibiru" as a STATION.

1. He.(i.e. Marduk) made the stations for the great gods;

2. The stars, their images, as the stars of the Zodiac, he fixed.

3. He ordained the year and into sections he divided it;

4. For the twelve months he fixed three stars.

5. After he had [...] the days of the year [...] images,

6. He founded the station of Nibir 1to determine their bounds;

7. That none might err or go astray,

8. He set the station of Bêl and Ea along with him.

9. He opened great gates on both sides,

10. He made strong the bolt on the left and on the right.

www.sacred-texts.com...

For the record, this is the official translation of Leonard William King, (1902), used by the same scholars who claim that Nibiru is Jupiter. This is not Sitchin's translation and the word "station" is VERY curious to say the least. Not to mention the context of the verse suggesting that's an artificial object built with purpose of space navigation.
edit on 5/14/2012 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I just posted a verse of the 5th tablet of ENUMA ELISH, suggesting that Nibiru is a space station. Particularly I think Sitchin missed or omitted this detail and it's NO ordinary detail.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

sta·tion
[stey-shuhn]
noun
a place or position in which a person or thing is normally located.

dictionary.reference.com...

So Marduk put the star Nibir(u?) in a certain place in the sky to keep the other stars in their positions.
That doesn't sound much like the Nibiru of Sitchin but it sounds typical of astronomical type mythology.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So based on his own calculation, this potential new planet doesn't enter the inner solar system? or am I mistaken here? If it doesn't than why is there even an argument about this being Nibiru or not?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The verse seems to be referring to something that works as a beacon or a reference point to help space travelers, but that's MY opinion and I know well that this kind of out-of-box reasoning is not welcome here.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

How about this part:

8. He set the station of Bêl and Ea along with him.

9. He opened great gates on both sides,

10. He made strong the bolt on the left and on the right.

11. In the midst thereof he fixed the zenith;

12. The Moon-god he caused to shine forth, the night he entrusted to him.

13. He appointed him, a being of the night, to determine the days;

14. Every month without ceasing with the crown he covered(?) him, (saying):

15. "At the beginning of the month, when thou shinest upon the land,

16. "Thou commandest the horns to determine six days,

17. "And on the seventh day to [divide] the crown.

www.sacred-texts.com...

The zenith is a beacon for space travelers? How does that work when the zenith is simply the spot directly overhead where ever you are on Earth? I suppose the Moon is a space station designed to help space travelers know what the date is. The Sun too?

Out of the box is ok but you should know what's in the box first. It's a creation myth.

+2 more 
posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

When and where I said anything about Zenith being a beacon??? I said the object named Nibiru could WORK as a beacon, so is better you re-evaluate your shilling techniques. And If you wanna discuss the other verses or the entire ENUMA ELISH itself, I suggest you hire a psychic to contact Leonard W. King, because it's his translation, not mine. I just made my interpretation of that specific verse about Nibiru and it's not like a need your approval to say it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join