It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet hiding behind Neptune

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There seems to be something hiding...

Does Earth have a new friend? An astrophysicist says it's likely that an as-yet undiscovered planet exists on the dark fringes of our solar system, messing with the orbits of celestial bodies in the Kuiper Belt, just beyond Neptune

now.msn.com...

What do you guys think? Perhaps there is some truth to Nibiru...?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I cannot comment on the Niburu thing, as I don't know.

However, I must commend you for abandoning the sensationalist title from MSN when you posted!

Original Title:

Secret rogue planet may be hiding behind Neptune

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
more on this here >

New Planet Found in Our Solar System?

and here >

New Planet Found in Our Solar System? - Nibiru-PlanetX - Yes

its seems though the calculation are still to fit the claims

nice catch OP

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

edit on 14-5-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
They say the planet happened to fly in here from other solar system? I'm not buying it..... The idea of planet just flying around and just happens to fall in orbit behind another planet doesn't sit well with me....

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Aren't the operative words "may be" though? Not trying to rain on the fire but scientists often use the word "may" to cover their posteriors.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by freakjive

Aren't the operative words "may be" though? Not trying to rain on the fire but scientists often use the word "may" to cover their posteriors.

Star for the point! I just took issue with "secret rogue" sounds tantalizing to the Niburu followers...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I call bollox. This is just a theory at the moment as well based on calculations. Calculations have been wrong before and will be wrong again. I also don't like the idea of a planet just miraculously JUMPING out of its orbit and drifting off into space to join the orbit of another planet. It makes no sense to me and maybe Phage or someone else can come in and explain this aspect of the story.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well lets hope that this so called planet which seems to have "floated" this way doesnt continue floating its way over here. Cause then that would be a serious problem. And then I may have to bite my tongue on those Nibiru theories

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
Well lets hope that this so called planet which seems to have "floated" this way doesnt continue floating its way over here. Cause then that would be a serious problem. And then I may have to bite my tongue on those Nibiru theories

I suppose it's a good thing this planet exists only in a mathematical equation then or else I would agree with you.... Don't bite your tongue yet, Nibiru is just always around the corner, expect a new thread next week..

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow....I just watched the movie Melancholia this weekend, what timing. It's about a rogue planet about to collide with Earth. Maybe it could happen, maybe not.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I will believe this when i see it with my own telescope.
untill then,.. no

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Looks like I was a bit off with that Nibiru prediction, sometimes these things happen sooner than I think...

edit on 14-5-2012 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Wow....I just watched the movie Melancholia this weekend, what timing. It's about a rogue planet about to collide with Earth. Maybe it could happen, maybe not.

Hey I just watched Melancholia on Saturday and Sunday night. Had to break it up because it was long and slow and put me to sleep but it reminded me of Another Earth (but with a totally different story line). Another Earth was much much better... though I did appreciate Earth getting demolished in Melancholia.

Planet X bad!!
edit on 14-5-2012 by six67seven because: Melancholia

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They say we cannot see this planet...a bunch of bull if you ask me. We see planets billions of light years away, can tell what the planet COULD be made of but yet we can't see this in our own solar system?

I'm sure there would be a way to find this even if we go by the method of how we found the new planet when it transit near the sun. I just can't agree with the scientist on the Nation Geographic article which stated that we will not be able to see the planet. In my opinion, there should be some way we could find it whether it be with a craft we have out there already or with a telescope here on earth.

Edit: This could explain why we have seen so much more fire balls over earth. I'm not entirely sure if this is the famed planet-X or Nibiru but you guys do realize that Nibiru was ALWAYS added in with the map of the planets the ancients kept. Were they right? Is the scientist right? Who knows but I'm sure we will find out soon.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Nakor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The National Geographic article that the one the OP linked refers to is much better and much more informative.

So far this is just a hypothesis based on some calculations, but judging by the comments by other astrophysicists quoted in the article, the guy who came up with this is, at least, a pretty serious guy. It doesn't sound like he's likely to throw out some idea like this without it being backed up with some decent work. But even so, at this point it's little more than a hypothesis with some interesting data. It needs a lot more study before anyone is going to say such an object is there.

There is precedence for worlds being found by observations of other bodies before they are seen, most notably Neptune was predicted to exist before ever being directly observed based on how it affected the orbit of Uranus. In that case they were able to find it exactly where it was predicted to exist, it just took having the telescopes capable of seeing it. Also, most exo-solar planets that we've found have been discovered because of how they effect the stars they orbit, causing them to wobble slightly because of their gravity. Increasingly we're able to detect them via more direct methods, usually by how they actually slightly dim the stars they orbit as they transit between them and the Earth.

Originally posted by jheated5
They say the planet happened to fly in here from other solar system? I'm not buying it..... The idea of planet just flying around and just happens to fall in orbit behind another planet doesn't sit well with me....

Rogue planets are probably quite common in the galaxy, however as common as they probably are it's still a bit of a long shot that they might pass right through any solar systems, at least in this region of space. Space between solar systems is just so vast that the space taken up by the solar system itself is more like a speck compared to the distances in between. It's not impossible, and stars make for nice, big gravity wells that can pull any passing rogue worlds into their sphere of influence, but it's probably not a common occurrence. What this hypothesis is saying is a lot more likely than a planet passing right through the center of the solar system (a la Melancholia), getting tugged into a very elongated orbit as it passes by the edges of our solar system is probably orders of magnitude a more likely occurrence.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nakor
They say we cannot see this planet...a bunch of bull if you ask me. We see planets billions of light years away, can tell what the planet COULD be made of but yet we can't see this in our own solar system?

We can at best see planets that are thousands of light years away, and then only the very largest ones. Most planets we detect even at these distances are found because of how they affect the stars they orbit. We've seen a few very large bodies directly at such great distances, but this isn't the norm.

At billions of light years even whole galaxies often only appear as smudges of light.

I'm sure there would be a way to find this even if we go by the method of how we found the new planet when it transit near the sun. I just can't agree with the scientist on the Nation Geographic article which stated that we will not be able to see the planet. In my opinion, there should be some way we could find it whether it be with a craft we have out there already or with a telescope here on earth.

Depending on it's size and reflectivity (albedo), it might be very difficult to see. Pluto and especially Eris, for instance, are very reflective and so are visible even at their very great distances from Earth despite their small size. If a body is composed of different material than what is otherwise common in the Kupier belt region (which means a lot of ice), then it could be hard to see. This might also suggest that it formed either in some other region of the solar system and got kicked out, or came from somewhere else in the galaxy and was pulled in.

Another interesting thought that just occurred to me is that it's maybe just possible there could be a world out there composed of mirror matter, which is something that is still hypothetical but considered by some to be very possible and could even exist in the form of planetary and even star-sized bodies. Mirror matter, not to be confused with anti-matter, would be basically impossible to detect visibly unless it micro-lensed a more distant object, like a star or galaxy, but would still affect things gravitationally. It's considered one of the possible candidates for dark matter in the Universe.
edit on 5/14/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Is it possible for this planet to end up crashing into another? Somehow being pulled by a gravitational force?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven

Originally posted by chrismicha77

Hey I just watched Melancholia on Saturday and Sunday night. Had to break it up because it was long and slow and put me to sleep but it reminded me of Another Earth (but with a totally different story line). Another Earth was much much better... though I did appreciate Earth getting demolished in Melancholia.

Planet X bad!!
edit on 14-5-2012 by six67seven because: Melancholia

Yeah it was really slow and almost weird. I watched Another Earth as well and thought it was really cool. I didn't get the ending but I kind of drew my own conclussions.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Is it possible for this planet to end up crashing into another? Somehow being pulled by a gravitational force?

Now that would be a sight to see!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join