It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Came across this while reading the link from another post here.

Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth

In the last known largely unexcavated Maya megacity, archaeologists have uncovered the only known mural adorning an ancient Maya house, a new study says—and it's not just any mural.

In addition to a still vibrant scene of a king and his retinue, the walls are rife with calculations that helped ancient scribes track vast amounts of time. Contrary to the idea the Maya predicted the end of the world in 2012, the markings suggest dates thousands of years in the future.

Finally an article written with some sense. Hopefully the truth of the matter will catch on, and doomstayers will eat their words after their 5 minutes of fame on some TV special filled with garbage.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This story has made it's round on this website MANY times!

When it comes to the search feature, why do people over look it?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ok, I can't really find a good excuse for not using search, especially since I just used it to search some other things.

I will try to do better in the future.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Good boy!

If you change your ways and make more of an effort to use the search feature then who knows ... You could be president one day!!!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's not the end of the earth they predicted but the end of an age. The end of the golden era.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I bet this ruins the plans that all the powerful people had!

They would try to end the World and make as much out of it!

Now they'll have to switch their plans and be less of a pain to mankind!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
From my studies they never predicted the end of the world.

They predicted an end of an era/ age. Nothing doom and gloom about that. People have distorted the idea no doubt but never did I hear the world would end.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My World ended yesterday when I went to KFC, they ran out of Hot Wings!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

So the Mayans had the same idea as some other main religion that believed in the ending of cycles? That is nice to know. I thought at first it was similar to the Buddhists faith and the wheel of Samsara, but after looking it up it seems that is a cycle for a soul's existence. But I am pretty sure there is a religion with the same ideal of the ending of cycles. Anyone know for sure?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timical
reply to post by MamaJ

So the Mayans had the same idea as some other main religion that believed in the ending of cycles? That is nice to know. I thought at first it was similar to the Buddhists faith and the wheel of Samsara, but after looking it up it seems that is a cycle for a soul's existence. But I am pretty sure there is a religion with the same ideal of the ending of cycles. Anyone know for sure?

From what I have gathered that is my understanding. Cycles upon cycles is what we live by. Well....what they lived by. Also I think they were more concerened with their own demise rather than the entire worlds. They supposedly saw an end of an age whereas they called this era the Golden Age.

I just read and collect information. One day if something comes to pass I can sit back and say... Dude... The mayans were spot on. Or if nothing comes to pass i can sit back and say the mayans didnt have a clue..just like us. Lol

Time tells all. For me and what I have gathered and understood they did not predict the end of the world, they simply saw this time we are living in as an end of an age. The ice caps are indeed melting so maybe they were on to something. Lol. I have no idea and not sure who does..... Really.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Timical

It's not a new age in the New Age sense. It's a new age in the sense that we're entering a new millennium. Nothing changes. It's just a milestone in an arbitrary method of measuring time.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I believe that a large part of the problem is due to people mixing Meso-American cultural concepts. The Aztecs are not the Mayans are not the Mixtecs are not the Olmecs are not the ...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I was interested in Mayans ( have not looked lately at the Velikovsky books if not Mayans)
in so far as Velikovsky said they were sacrificing virgins to ward off the cycling Venus until
it settled into a stable orbit around the Sun and then the elite had no more excuses to put
fear in the people and everyone left. Venus at first pass did great damage to the Earth
lasting a number of years. Sure a rouge planet does things.
Since the 2012 craze didn't give a hoot about the Velikovsky theories I thought the 2012
theories meant developing new ones for entertainment purposes. As part art propaganda
goes I now assume an assault on the net forums as part of any ad campaign.

new topics

top topics

join