It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unsung heroes of Ufology ( Please add your choice ) .

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I thought that the time has come to compile a list of people that have been involved in the field of ufology that do not get the credit they deserve.
There are many candidates but if we all pick one with a brief reasoning then it might help open up the subject to each of us in a new and refreshing way.

My pick.

Sir Eric Matthew Gairy (Feb 18 1922 - Aug 23 1997).
The First Prime Minister of Grenada.

On the 9th of September 1977 Gairy had a 45-minute meeting with President Carter with the intention of ending ufo secrecy ( one of the Carter election promises) the contents of the meeting were never made public but ended with Carter giving Gairy a copy of the 1969 Condon Committee on UFOs.

Not put off by this setback Gairy decided that the U.N. would be the best platform for attempt at full disclosure.On the 7th of October he delivered a speech ( co-written by the great Leonard Stringfield) that asked for a permanent body to be set up to study UFOs and aid information exchange between nations.
A formal resolution was scheduled for 28th November and the support given to Grenada's U.N. Ambassador Dr. Wellington Friday was lukewarm at best. So that day Wellington Friday gave an hour-long speech of great conviction but the gamble failed as U.N. Secretary General Kurt Waldheim announced that the matter would be addressed as soon as '126 global issues ranging from disarmament to human rights and terrorism had been shelved'.
The mighty power of the U.N. crushed the noble plan of Gairy by adopting Decision 32/424 which acknowledged Gairy's resolution but shelved it for a year to allow nations to evaluate their UFO data.
Only THREE governments bothered to respond (with no comments) and so it ended.

This man had a vision and tried to use the biggest political arena to shame the worlds goverments into doing what we all want so much.
Sir Eric Gairy thank you.
edit on 14/5/12 by CrashRetrieval because: adjustment.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Great thread S/F.

My pick would be Stanton Friedman. I know some people on here disagree with him because of his debunking of Robert Lazar and the MJ-12, but fact is he spent much time on ufology and does many lectures. I'll post a snippet.

Nuclear Physicist-Lecturer Stanton T. Friedman received his BSc. and MSc. Degrees in physics from the University of Chicago in 1955 and 1956. He was employed for 14 years as a nuclear physicist by such companies as GE, GM, Westinghouse, TRW Systems, Aerojet General Nucleonics, and McDonnell Douglas working in such highly advanced, classified, eventually cancelled programs as nuclear aircraft, fission and fusion rockets, and various compact nuclear powerplants for space and terrestrial applications.

He became interested in UFOs in 1958, and since 1967 has lectured about them at more than 600 colleges and 100 professional groups in 50 U.S. states, 10 Canadian provinces and 18 other countries in addition to various nuclear consulting efforts. He has published more than 90 UFO papers and has appeared on hundreds of radio and TV programs including on Larry King in 2007 and twice in 2008, and many documentaries. He is the original civilian investigator of the Roswell Incident and co-authored Crash at Corona: The Definitive Study of the Roswell Incident. TOP SECRET/MAJIC, his controversial book about the Majestic 12 group, established in 1947 to deal with alien technology, was published in 1996 and went through 6 printings. An expanded new edition was published in 2005. Stan was presented with a Lifetime UFO Achievement Award in Leeds, England, in 2002, by UFO Magazine of the UK. He is co-author with Kathleen Marden (Betty Hill’s niece) of a book in 2007: Captured! The Betty and Barney Hill UFO Experience. The City of Fredericton, New Brunswick, declared August 27, 2007, Stanton Friedman Day. His book Flying Saucers and Science was published in June 2008 and is in its 3rd printing. His newest book, also co-authored with Kathleen Marden, is Science Was Wrong released in June 2010.

Source

I hope to see others I can research!

-SAP-

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Don Ecker

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
By 'unsung,' I'm thinking of people in ufology who are rarely mentioned on ATS. I'm using ATS as a benchmark for what the average person knows about the people who take part in the subject. Also, rather than dig up the people in the past, I'm going to name some of those who are active now.

Foremost for me is Michael Swords (retired professor), a man who has been contributing gold-dust for 3 decades. People argue that 'aliens' couldn't possibly be humanoid in shape. No way, man! They'd be all like slime-critters or have eyes instead of toe-nails. Even Jacques Vallee says an alien could be like an octopus.

Swords makes an excellent argument that *if* such Folk from Elsewhere could come here...they would likely be humanoid by evolutionary necessity. After all, they need to begin with tools and then get to fire before they can start zipping about in Saucer Mk1s. For tools, they'd need appendages (hands etc) and nature doesn't require more than two arms for manipulation. 3, 5 and more arms would just be showing off. If they want to control fire, they'd need to be on a world with the atmosphere to grow stuff that burns and can sustain a flame.

Rich Reynolds runs the UFO Iconoclasts blog where they get into the nitty gritty of ufological history and ponder the big questions. He and the RRRGroup have been in the field for decades and are border-line maverick in the way they don't pay lip-service to the 'sung heroes' of ufology. At times I've winced at how acerbic Rich can be in his posts. 6 years of sustained posts and a lot to learn by reading them.

Through Rich's blog/s, I've come to know a lot of great thinkers on the subject and enjoy reading their posts a great deal. Of these guys, probably the most adventurous theorist is Bruce Duensing (Intangible Materiality - retired) It takes a lot of mental sweat to begin to keep up with his references and ideas, but they are original and certainly under-exposed. The lack of interest has led to a current hiatus.

Leslie Gunter's The Debris Field is a daily collection of ufological blogs. She's been providing this service for nothing more than it takes to subscribe. It's a good way to discover new writers, commentators and sites. Similarly The Anomalist posts all the latest paranormal and ufological articles every day. What makes these guys stand out is they publish books by many of the well-known names like Nick Redfern and also Mike Swords last book, Grass Roots UFOs. Whatever they post is done with an intelligent aside and no hyperbole.

Eric Ouellet's Parasociology blog covers ufology in a way that's original and intelligently entertaining. Jose Caravaca has been writing about his growing hypothesis called 'Distortion Theory' that investigates the humanoid encounter reports and offers a speculative explanation. He suggests that something is interfacing with human consciousness and presenting a message via the cultural references we all have in our psyches.

Keith Basterfield and Pauline Wilson run the UFOs - Scientific Research site and discuss Australian reports. KB has been in the field for decades and, like Mike Swords, has written for MUFON, International UFO Reporter and NICAP.

I could go on...and on. Dr David Clarke, Martin Shough, John Hanson, Colin Bennett are all big contributors too.

The 'Unsung Heroes' are all of those people who don't appear on Coast to Coast all the time and don't tour the conference circuit. These are the men and women who contribute and influence people without much applause and for little money.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Stanton Friedman is an unsung hero of ufology?!?!?!?

OMG,

I DON'T THINK SO.

His hatred of Bob Lazar is naked naked naked JEALOUSY, he seeths it.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
All the experiencers and abductees world wide, many without a voice, ridiculed and disbelieved, and in my opinion abused. Grass roots people. And in additon any in any rank, who have been harmed, struggled, lost jobs/status, and even in some cases their lives, coming forward.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Emma Woods for highlighting how unethical abductee research can be and how close-minded ufology can be. Carol Rainey for demonstrating that Hopkins fitted the evidence to suit his beliefs.

Both of these women have been treated like assault-victims in short dresses - 'they asked for it.'

Neither have attacked abductee claims or gone against the idea of an abduction phenomena. Just by questioning the activities and motivations of two 'Sung Heroes' they got shot down primarily on the grounds that they were women, ex-wives and not fit to express their experiences or opinions.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Zorgon

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Emma Woods for highlighting how unethical abductee research can be and how close-minded ufology can be. Carol Rainey for demonstrating that Hopkins fitted the evidence to suit his beliefs.

Both of these women have been treated like assault-victims in short dresses - 'they asked for it.'

Neither have attacked abductee claims or gone against the idea of an abduction phenomena. Just by questioning the activities and motivations of two 'Sung Heroes' they got shot down primarily on the grounds that they were women, ex-wives and not fit to express their experiences or opinions.

You are right. I agree a million percent. I sought out some Rainy videos one night, and I watched her film that son of a bitch Bud Hopkins being flirty (hand stroking) with the younger Linda Cortile, while they talked about the business-end (movie book money) possibilities. I watched another vid where she gave a ---legitimate--- question to him her own husband, and he went all psycho, in true megalomaniacal sociopath fashion. I don't care if he's gone now. What a creep. The good old boys club of ufology's wayback insiders, are dead and dying, and may they not Rest In Peace. Good riddance, I despise them all.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Karl Pflock.

I knew him, and I am convinced he was wrestling with his skeptic leaning. He was very bright, and a prolific writer researcher.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

Maybe Stan F. isn't unsung, but he make good contribution to the field of ufology. Aside from Lazar (which I don't know which side I'm on with that) Stan has done a lot of research so I put him out there anyhow. I guess for 'unsung' I'll throw out Bill Birnes then.

-SAP-
edit on 14-5-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
When it comes to unsung heroes, I'd say John Greenewald Junior has done a lot of great work requesting and collating declassified UFO documents over the years and the video below is well worth a watch by anyone with an opinion on the UFO subject - the research of Terry Hansen also goes quite unrecognized and there's a video link here which describes his work on the book 'Missing times' about the corporate media's treatment of the UFO subject.

Google Video Link

For nearly 9 years, John Greenewald, Jr. has been exploring the archives of the U.S. Government for undeniable proof of the UFO Phenomenon. In those nine years, he has created the largest online archive anywhere in the world. Join John as he sifts through the mounds of Government documents and see the most fascinating results.

edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Jack Kasher, retired physics professor from the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

He's been interviewed on some shows, but not many.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
My pick would be Stanton Friedman.

Umm Stanton is hardly 'UNSUNG" he makes a living on UFOlogy and has for a long time. Pays better than Nuclear Physics it seems

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Maybe Stan F. isn't unsung, but he make good contribution to the field of ufology. Aside from Lazar (which I don't know which side I'm on with that) Stan has done a lot of research so I put him out there anyhow.

So other than Bob bashing and MJ12 what has he brought to the table? Any pieces of Roswell Debris? Any proof of saucers or aliens? Anything?

Just asking

edit on 14-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Zorgon

Thanks for the vote but I come with Neon Lights
and not really that heavy into UFOlogy

My vote goes to Russ Hamerly,,, Boeing exec.... you won't find him around much on the UFO set. Him and his 'team' do send out emails to select groups

edit on 14-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'd say the late Graham Birdsall, a great and world-wide known Ufologist, who also brought out one of the best series of UFO documentaries imo.

Sadly passed away in 2003: www.fsr.org.uk...

UFOS Hard Evidence: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And, just to add, if anybody who has an interest in UFOs hasn't read/heard anything by Richard Haines, I would strongly advise that you do.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
All the pilots and other crew members, radar operators, police officers, and others who braved the threat of ridicule, loss of employment, etc. and went public with what they witnessed

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Randahl Nicholson. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him staking out the night sky from an old abandoned convent during a multiple sightings period in South Africa. He was the one who tracked down all the now grown up kids from the Zimbabwe mass sightings.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join