Dark Shadows - Review

page: 1

join

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
First off, I have to disclose that I'm a huge fan of the old original series, and even the attempted reboot (I think it was the early 90's, with Ben Cross). Years ago, the Sci Fi Channel reran the entire series, and it was on when I got home from work (working a graveyard shift back in the day). I got to see it, and appreciate it then, just as my parents did, when rushing home from school.

Johnny Depp is also a big fan of the show, as is Tim Burton, so they both decided to bring it back to life.

For those who don't know much about the show, it was way ahead of it's time. A TV show that was serious about vampires, werewolves, ghosts, witches, and magic, back in the 60's? Of course, it was done prior to reshoots, etc., so all the mistakes are in, flubbed lines, seeing the boom mic, etc. which kind of give it an aspect of comedy also.

Now, this movie version of the story is a more tongue-in-cheek treatment of it, concentrating more on the fish out of water aspect of a vampire coming back after 200 years in the 1970's. Here's where the movie shines, as Depp's "Barnabus" is quite taken aback by all the things he sees.

For fans of the original show, the main characters from the central story are there. Fans should pay close attention to Helena Bonham Carter's "Dr. Hoffman" as she does a good job of capturing some of the mannerisms of the original.

The movie doesn't have the seriousness of the old series, but really, I think that's a good thing, as Depp and Burton's "Shadows" should translate well to today's audiences. If you typically like the unholy trinity of Depp, Burton and Carter, you won't be disappointed. I suspect fans of the original will either enjoy it or hate it, depending...but this fan really enjoyed his trip back to Collinwood.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Gazrok because: added trailer

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My wife and I went to the theater on Friday. Hooray for matinee prices for old folks.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I guess I'm easily amused because my wife didn't think it was up to Tim Burton/Johnny Depp standards and no one else I have talked to who has seen the movie thought it was very good.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

It certainly isn't as dark as their normal fare. I think this was more of an homage to the original by devoted fans...though the ending certainly leaves room for a sequel. Of course, that was part of the charm of the old show...it kind of was it's time's "Lost", ending on a cliff-hanger each episode....

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'd really like to see it, as I was a big fan of the original series. I remember rushing home from school to watch it. My poor husband tells me that he wasn't allowed to watch it - his parents were extremely religious at the time, and thought it was inappropriate. I LOVE Johnny Depp, and the Tim Burton movies are usually right up my alley.

Do you think it's appropriate for a 10-year-old? I've told my daughter all about the original TV series, and she wants to see this movie with me. I think its rated PG-13, but she's seen the Harry Potter movies, and most of them were PG-13.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I can't wait to see this movie...

johnny deep tops my Favorite Actor list, and apparently i've been told i used to watch this show when i was like 10 years old...

i don't remember that

Either way, should be good

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Seen it, won't spoiler it for y'all.

Never saw the original or remake so I was new to it.

It was a quick lead up to the story line starting in the '70, first 10 minutes.

Liked the humor, Caricatures were well done. Some scenes where fun to watch, others dragged a little.

Ending left me feeling kinda flat. meh.

Over all, very entertaining. Grade B

Sirric

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I loved to original series.....but I absolutely HATE Depp & Burton...they ruin EVERYTHING !!

I will not ruin a fantastic original show by watching the poison Burton spews out.

AG

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Hehe, like I said, some will like it, others hate it...

Do you think it's appropriate for a 10-year-old?

The only thing that might be inappropriate is the sex scene between Barnabus and Angelique. It's quite acrobatic, though no nudity (or even partial nudity). However, for 10, maybe a bit too much depending on your sensibilities, though they'd see more shocking sex scenes on a network prime time show to be sure. Also, Barnabus uses an impressive olde worlde vocabulary that may leave some younger and/or less educated viewers wondering just what the heck he said.

Any vampire kill scenes are extremely quick (or even just suggestive killing), and not gory, so nothing too bad there.

Really, the suggestive sex scene, though fully clothed, may depend on your feelings towards such scenes and your kids.

new topics
top topics

join