It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear fueling Republican extremism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Last month, two political scientists published one of those rare op-eds that gets the political community talking.

The thesis of the piece was contained in the title: "Let's just say it: The Republicans are the problem."

In case that was not clear enough, the authors elaborated: "We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional.

Fear Fueling Republican extremism

This current article from CNN is a opt ed piece by David Frum a former speech writer for George W Bush, The piece centers on sharing the same belief of a earlier article from the Washington Post titled:

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.

This piece states the following:

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges

America witnessed this first hand during the budget crisis, when a small tea party group in congress was willing to let the Government fail or default based on political ideology. It was also nerving to have a member of congress standing up on video accusing 70 - 80 members of congress of being communist and the lack of rebuke from the GOP.

I thought the neo con would be the worst form of Republican extremism I would ever see, but under this new brand the extreme right has renewed and transformed into something else entirely. The recent example of outside money pouring into a district to out a fellow Republican labeled as a RINO was a amazing sight to behold and so far away from Reagan's golden rule of never attacking another Republican.

Here are a couple of older ats threads related to the topic:
ATS thread
ATS thread

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I am sure this thread will go over well. Nice calm thoughtful posts no doubt

Anyhow, the loud minority traditionally has been ultimately ignored. Its odd that the right wing has decided to take their minority and push them right into the limelight.

Its akin to having peta and code pink (or the like) become the spokespeople for the democratic party...

never let extreme ends of any organization speak as if they are the all encompassing aspect.

But, it makes for good news commentary. So, ya..all about marketing and sensationalism. We are in a corpratocracy, and the political news is now just advertisements on the washington reality tv

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think what the left is refering to as extremism is just a skewed perception. The middle has moved so far to the left that mere republicans are called extremists now, not just the standard bearing conservative. We are in a serious battle over mainstream ideology, and the left is losing, soon the moderate liberals will be classified as right-wing extremists and the pendulum swing will make a correction that cuts deeper than any could ever imagine.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow
I think what the left is refering to as extremism is just a skewed perception. The middle has moved so far to the left that mere republicans are called extremists now, not just the standard bearing conservative. We are in a serious battle over mainstream ideology, and the left is losing, soon the moderate liberals will be classified as right-wing extremists and the pendulum swing will make a correction that cuts deeper than any could ever imagine.

What left? These opinions are from conservative authors? Are you so ingrained in the left right you can't see or comprehend whats written?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Maybe I'm missing something here.

The thrust of the article appears to state that republicans are at fault because they aren't democrats.

That they didn't listen and capitulate towards liberal demands so they are at fault.

Will reread it again, just to make sure.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

What left? These opinions are from conservative authors? Are you so ingrained in the left right you can't see or comprehend whats written?

My comprehension is just fine. Has your mind been so muddled that you believe the drivel you report? Or are you an agent of disinformation? Your post makes good use of the long ingrained standard of left and right, and then it attempts to poison the mind of those who believe they are moderate. You have a serious problem though, people are not as mentally ill-equiped as liberals would like to believe- unless you seriously believe the propaganda that you are spouting.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

America witnessed this first hand during the budget crisis, when a small tea party group in congress was willing to let the Government fail or default based on political ideology.

So you actually want the government stealing money from you and your posterity so that a gaggle of bankster charlatans can continue to swindle our national coffers on a massive scale?

And if, god forbid, these quacks that manipulate wall street weren't bailed out, then that equals "letting the government fail"?

What?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

"The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

From the OP's source.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics.

YAY!

It is ideologically extreme

Um, pot/kettle?

scornful of compromise

YAY!

unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science

By who's interpretation?

and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

Who says? Proof?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Facts, evidence and science? Doesn't require interpretation.

edit on 14-5-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
This does have a point.

Current conservative ideology has moved the goal post. In order to be a "real conservative" or even a "real American" a person must embrace the ideology of the extreme far right. Instead of conservative ideals that many many more Americans can get behind.

Still seems odd to me that deficits only matter to Conservatives when there's a Democrat in the White House.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I am appalled by the knee-jerking claims that this is "propaganda." What? First of all, the authors of the book are certainly qualified to speak to these issues, where one is part of a liberal org, and the other is from a conservative org:

The piece drew its authority from the authors' identity: Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein, two of Washington's most veteran watchers of Congress. Both men have hard-earned reputations for nonideological independence of mind despite their institutional affiliations: Mann works at the liberal Brookings Institution, Ornstein at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. (Ornstein is a friend of mine, and was a colleague until I was given the heave-ho from AEI in March 2010.)

Please note that the Brookings Institution is one of the Bilderberg invitees.

Now they have backed their provocative op-ed with a new book, "It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism."
The book backs the arresting op-ed with a battery of depressing research, substantiating their charge that congressional Republicans now act in a uniquely irresponsible way.

The debt showdown last summer was the ultimate case: congressional Republicans nearly forcing a default on the obligations of the United States to get their way on a budget agreement.
But the pattern manifests itself in almost all the business of government, down to the most mundane.

And if anyone bothered to read the Let's Just Say it link, they'd have been able (if sufficiently skilled at connecting dots) to see patterns developed over the last 20 years, including discussion of Newt's master plan, and veteran Congressmen's quoted disgust with the entire GOP.

From the day he entered Congress in 1979, Gingrich had a strategy to create a Republican majority in the House: convincing voters that the institution was so corrupt that anyone would be better than the incumbents, especially those in the Democratic majority.
Newt Gingrich is a horror, always has been. Made my skin crawl from the moment I first saw his face and heard his voice.

And now...

The GOP’s evolution has become too much for some longtime Republicans. Former senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska called his party “irresponsible”

And Mike Lofgren, a veteran Republican congressional staffer, wrote “The Republican Party is...becoming more like an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe,”
How anyone who pays attention and who wants some sort of peace and workable compromise leading to future prosperity can watch this farce and still want the GOP in charge is really beyond me. It's truly frightening.

The authors of the article also had advice for mainstream journalists:

We understand the values of mainstream journalists, including the effort to report both sides of a story. But a balanced treatment of an unbalanced phenomenon distorts reality. If the political dynamics of Washington are unlikely to change anytime soon, at least we should change the way that reality is portrayed to the public.
In the end, while the press can make certain political choices understandable, it is up to voters to decide. If they can punish ideological extremism at the polls and look skeptically upon candidates who profess to reject all dialogue and bargaining with opponents, then an insurgent outlier party will have some impetus to return to the center. Otherwise, our politics will get worse before it gets better.
I can only hope the press takes heed...and that the editors in chief adopt this stance.

Propaganda, eh?

No, this is not propaganda. It's a warning that should be taken seriously.

edit on 17-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

[color=#FF0000]Beware of Democrats and Republicans!! They are all PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS. Millionaires and lawyers looking out for themselves and their kin while screwing the average American. Americans can never be free until they rid themselves of CRIMINAL GANGSTERS who have to band together in bands called parties which are no better than MS13, The Latin Kings, or any other number of illegal criminal enterprises that prey on the weak and unwary.

Americans need to elect CITIZEN STATESMEN who are not beholding to criminal gangsters who give them backing and financing.
[color=#FFFFFF]
CITIZEN STATESMEN who are not PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS and who love America more than they love power and money.

CITIZEN STATESMEN who will represent us instead of Lobbyists for corporations who ply them with under the table cash and benefits.

CITIZEN STATESMEN who will represent us instead of RULING OVER US.

[color=#3333FF]Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin. It is a dirty, soiled currency backed by graft and greed that will no longer purchase honest representation for the American voter and taxpayer.

The true patriot is not the man who defends a corrupt government. The true patriot is the man who defends the Constitution from that corrupt government.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Reading this made me think of the thread in which a Republican politician was calling for fellow Republicans to 'convert' Democrats.

It's just more political trolling from the left in retaliation to the right, etc.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I am sure this thread will go over well. Nice calm thoughtful posts no doubt

Anyhow, the loud minority traditionally has been ultimately ignored. Its odd that the right wing has decided to take their minority and push them right into the limelight.

Its akin to having peta and code pink (or the like) become the spokespeople for the democratic party...

never let extreme ends of any organization speak as if they are the all encompassing aspect.

But, it makes for good news commentary. So, ya..all about marketing and sensationalism. We are in a corpratocracy, and the political news is now just advertisements on the washington reality tv

"code pink" ??? here is what they stand for"
en.wikipedia.org...

ooohhh!!!...women that want to end the constant wars, and have that money spent here in the united states helping our own economy and it's citizens....oohh!!!!...what a diabolical plot!!!!!!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
en.wikipedia.org...

ooohhh!!!...women that want to end the constant wars, and have that money spent here in the united states helping our own economy and it's citizens....oohh!!!!...what a diabolical plot!!!!!!

Hey, I got no issues with Code Pink. Their methods are obviously a bit loud and abrasive, but their message is tight.
Just, when you bring it up, the conservatives go into triple backflips in annoyance and outrage. Best not to use them as your mascot when trying to win over the middle..
again, good message, bad marketing.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Great post!!

These articles are coming from conservative authors, but several of the posters here can't see the forest because of all the trees.

The current Republican party is feeding on each other and going against Reagan's golden rule of "do not attack other Republicans". They have created a litmus test of what it means to be a Republican, but in my view they are walking a tight rope, if they are not careful they will find themselves marginalized just like the Federalist party.

I don't see the Republican Party growing stronger by purging themselves of other Republicans.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Maybe I'm missing something here.

The thrust of the article appears to state that republicans are at fault because they aren't democrats.

That they didn't listen and capitulate towards liberal demands so they are at fault.

Will reread it again, just to make sure.

Its obvious you are missing something here. The article has nothing to do with liberals or Democrats, but Republicans commenting about other Republicans....

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by jimmyx
en.wikipedia.org...

Hey, I got no issues with Code Pink. Their methods are obviously a bit loud and abrasive, but their message is tight.
Just, when you bring it up, the conservatives go into triple backflips in annoyance and outrage. Best not to use them as your mascot when trying to win over the middle..
again, good message, bad marketing.

yep, your probably right....i'll have to tune into FOX NEWS to work on my marketing skills...thanks for the advice
edit on 17-5-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I'm not sure I would go so far as to blame the Republican Party for everything over the last 40 years, but in the last two years, they have been incredibly inept. They can't even find common ground among their own party right now. This is the exact time that Americans need Congress to work together for the greater good, but instead, the GOP fights among themselves, thanks largely to the 2010 elections of the tea party candidates who have done nothing but hurt Congress as a whole since they were elected.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The middle has moved far to the left but the left is "losing"? You can't have it both ways on that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join