It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding science explaining the paranormal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Will science ever be able to explain the paranormal?
By paranormal I mean serious things like people seeing their dead relatives, objects moving, hearing voices, seeing entities, ouija board experiences etc.

Out of all the things that I dont know the paranormal stuff bothers me the most. I want to know for sure if there is in fact another dimension of spirits. Or if it means that there's a god and his behind all of it. Or if the brain naturally produces all of this somehow. What messege am I suppose to take from all of this.

I'm not sure if people actually experience what they say or if their lying/delusional or if theres a scientific explanation not yet knowm to man. I dont know what to believe since I've never experienced anything paranormal myself.

Alot of people say that science will eventually explain it. That in the past people thought lightning was from god/gods. So they assume the paranormal is the same. I think it's not because the paranormal is subjective. Lightning was objective and so science observed it and eventually succeeded in explaining it as a normal phenomena. With the paranormal all we have are personal testimonies.

Do you think science will eventually be able to explain the paranormal?
edit on 14-5-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Absolutely. After all, we consist of energy and it seems like more scientific gadgets are being created and used to tap into these energies. I recommend reading this book called " Will Storr Vs.The Supernatural". It goes into detail about possible scientific explanations for ghostly encounters. He speaks to different people ranging from scientists to priests.

One good explanation that he gives for common ghost recordings (i.e, hearing the same footsteps every night,same time or seeing a ghostly apparation at the same time, every day) is the concentration of iron in that place. Since recording devices have iron, it is possible that an area of quite a bit of iron would record something similar to a recorder. He goes more into this along with other theories.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

imo, it is weird, that in the middle ages, everybody believed in non-human entities, like god, devil, spirits, angel demons etc. but this "knowledge" got lost, how ?
is it the givings of the devil, science, that comes with a price ? the price not know or believe in beings like this ?

edit on 14-5-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm sure there have been someone researching this subject, but the problem with this is, well you know, its kinda hard to explain something paranormal.

I don't think you should listen to the scientists in this one, I think you will need to experience this on your own.
I believe that there are many scientists, who also believes in the paranormal, or some who has had experience with the paranormal, like me.

I've have heard it together with friends, myself also.
I know, I don't even believe others when they tell about their ghost stories, I tend to stop believing in it sometimes, just because its such an extreme subject.

And, don't watch those Ghost Hunters series or taps or what the hell they are called. It seems like bull#.

Try to be a little more open, and stuff will begin to happen. But remember, always stay skeptic even when you experience something paranormal.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When I was a freshman physics student (in 1986
) I remember my professor commenting that quantum mechanics made it possible for the piece of chalk to tunnel through the eraser but it was extremely improbable. I've always remembered that comment.

What does improbable mean anyway? I think that's where the answer is.
edit on 14-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

At what point should we stop being skeptical?

I mean we can't always be skeptical right? Let's assume a spirit does in fact appear to us. Will just say it's our imagination or something. What if it really is a spirit? Let's say the spirit starts talking and moving around and because of our skepticism will just ignore it and whatnot..

There has to be a point where we stop being skeptical?

We could just wait until science gives us an explanation, but who knows when they will have one..in the meantime were left in the dark. I'm going to be really pissed because there's alot of explanations people give like that the spirit is an evil entity from a lower astral realm and his haunting you. Let's say science eventually explains it and reaches the same conclusion. The believers/knowers are gona be like "I told you"! I'm going to regret being a skeptic, or if I die and wake up finding myself being punished for bad karma..

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Exactly my friend.
When I see/hear something paranormal, I first try to find out what it is, when I have checked everything and can't find any reason why that should happen, I then call it paranormal.

And I really hate when people say something like "Its your imagination, you are seeing stuff". lol, come on.
Try to count how many times your brain has ran with your imagination. I can only count one, and that was when I was trying to sleep, I heard my fathers voice calling me. That I know, was my imagination. But then again, how should I know it was my imagination?

Have you ever experienced something that you find paranormal?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Science is capable of eventually explaining it. Just keep in mind, it may not be the branch of physics that does the explaining, it may be the branch of psychology that does it.
I don't know what the answer is, so I don't know what field fits it best.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As a matter of fact, something weird just happened over at my workplace.

I went into the restroom and I saw what looked like a person wearing dark clothing pass by. I was in the stall and I could tell through the lines from the side of the doors that someone walked by. I didnt hear any footsteps but I figured maybe they were wearing soft shoes. Anyway, when I exited, I expected to see someone in the other stalls but no one was there. (its only a three stall bathroom).

This is precisely a good example of something that is not easily explained. Could it have been someone, probably not, since I would have seen that shadow walk by and then walk back again. A ghost? Perhaps.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
Do you think science will eventually be able to explain the paranormal?

It has to. If the paranormal exists, science simply must explain it. Science is the search for Truth. Right now science does not have the theoretical framework to explain the paranormal, nor do its participants have the requisite mindset to even acknowledge the possibility that the paranormal exists. Both have to change.

Right now, especially in places like this, you have a lot of people who think they have figured it out. They can quote you reams of material "proving" their speculations. We have a wide variety of both New Age and ancient material that speaks to these issues. We also have many people who claim to have a conduit to the paranormal. But this is largely anecdotal and, unfortunately, without science to provide continuity, is fraught with fraud. We can't trust it even though some of it is very likely very real. For every sincere person there is a Sylvia Browne to cast doubt on the entire process.

It is my belief that the paranormal is just as normal as any other part of reality. It is part of the fabric of our lives and universe. it's just that it is difficult to get a handle on. It may be this is intentional in the sense that the speed of light, for example, precludes straightforward travel to the stars is a built-in speed limit

I believe in breaking the rules here if we can because we're not going to advance much further as an understanding species without some sort of breakthrough. IMO we must find a way to unite the various religions and science. They must merge into a fundamental understanding of realtiy, including the paranormal.

We've tried to do this many times. Spiricom, for example, was a technical attempt to build a machine that could talk to the dead. It's controversial, of course. Indeed, I built the functional equivalent myself and have yet to make it work. Perhaps it simply does not. There have been attempts with EVP, but not only are these also controversial, they are primitive and unreliable. What we need is a scientific way to implement technology for talking with the dead that is two-way, reliable, reproducible, and an avenue to coherent, intellectual conversation without additional technological hurdles.

Someone once said (I have no idea whom) that the "paranormal is as close as your television set." That's an intriguing idea right there and gives a huge hint on the nature of complete reality. And if it truly is THAT close (a matter of frequency and vibration), then there's no good reason why we can't find ourselves a way to communicate. And once we do, our lives will change forever.

edit on 5/14/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst

Exactly my friend.
When I see/hear something paranormal, I first try to find out what it is, when I have checked everything and can't find any reason why that should happen, I then call it paranormal.

And I really hate when people say something like "Its your imagination, you are seeing stuff". lol, come on.
Try to count how many times your brain has ran with your imagination. I can only count one, and that was when I was trying to sleep, I heard my fathers voice calling me. That I know, was my imagination. But then again, how should I know it was my imagination?

No, I've never experienced anything "paranormal"

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if there's an intelligence behind it all that does not want us to be able to explain it. The only reason it would seem it would want it that way is because it is evil or it wants us to have faith.

The bad thing with the paranormal is that it is subjective, hopefully science will be able overcome that...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Will science ever be able to explain the paranormal

Not any science I learned in college and after.

No.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst

No, I've never experienced anything "paranormal"

Okay. But are you skeptic about the paranormal? Like the story "blackmetalmist" Just posted, do you believe that one?

I, myself, haven't seen any person shaped humanoids/spirits, but I have heard their footsteps, felt their evil presence, seen lights hovering on a wall so me and my friend could see it. But never any human shaped shadows or anything.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

It is against the interests of science to prove some of the paranormal things that are out there. It would mean that the basis of the sciences is extremely flawed. Science knows more than they say but will deny existence to protect their ways. Lots of science is real but only when conditions are close to perfect. Lining up of adverse conditions can make science not applicable.

We have all had days when everything goes wrong, I don't know anyone who has not. Science can't explain the circumstances leading up to those events or the reason all the events happened when they did. If you take things apart you can define every detail, but when it's put together it's timing doesn't make sense that everything bad happened back to back. Look at what is happening in the world that science has created and wonder what the domino effect of all their creations is causing. What happens if mankind has a really bad day. What is going to be the result. Maybe science should start preparing for one of those days.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemicalMonocular

No.

No psychology classes?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

imo, it is weird, that in the middle ages, everybody believed in non-human entities, like god, devil, spirits, angel demons etc. but this "knowledge" got lost, how ?
is it the givings of the devil, science, that comes with a price ? the price not know or believe in beings like this ?

edit on 14-5-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

If all of that was true I think it would be obvious...we would all be able to see them.

Maybe they ascribed a spirit to the wind among other things or something since they couldent explain it, I dont know.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by AlchemicalMonocular

No.

No psychology classes?

Psychology is normal not paranormal. The only science which addresses the paranormal would be quantum.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join