It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Cops Fear-WARNING-As disturbing as Kelly Thomas video X 10

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

A good start would be to pursue charges with civil penalties against LEOs who engage in this behavior.

The one good thing that came out of the Trayvon Martin case is that it showed that protests (with the help of social media) can, in fact, produce a change in leadership in failed Police departments.

ETA: People love to make fun of the ACLU, particularly conservatives, but THIS is why they exist.
edit on 14/5/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

A good start would be to pursue charges with civil penalties against LEOs who engage in this behavior.

The one good thing that came out of the Trayvon Martin case is that it showed that protests (with the help of social media) can, in fact, produce a change in leadership in failed Police departments.

If permanent change came about from marching in the streets there would be no reasons for anyone to feel they need to complain or march today because people have been marching for one change or another since the 1900s.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

I made it to 36 minutes before I realized my heart was pounding, my blood-pressure was high, and my breaths were short and light with a pain in my chest. I almost had an anxiety attack watching that video and not being able to do anything about it. I had to turn it off. All that adrenaline with no place to go is hard on a body.

This reminds me of a couple of conversations I had this week. A close friend of mine was talking about dropping out of the police academy after about 4 weeks. He is a great employee, a great outdoorsman and survivalist, and a very, very smart guy, and he grew up wanting to be a cop. He majored in criminal justice, and as soon as he graduated college he joined an academy. But, he realized on day 1 that he wasn't going to fit in at the academy. He is equipped with too many brains and not enough ego, peacocking, and unchecked testosterone.

We've both been around plenty of spec-op military guys, high-level college and pro athletes, FBI and Secret Service agents, and hardened criminals, but nothing holds a candle to the ego and volatility of a typical low-wage cop! They are scary, scary, scary individuals. I'd much rather find myself stranded at midnight on murder row in New Orleans (which has actually happened.... twice) than in a bar with drunken off-duty cops.

Currently I work around several troublesome employees, and I can tell you every time I have a problem with someone wanting to go on a personal vendetta, or every time I have someone doing their own thing without regard for our approved processes, it is always the ex-cops. I don't know why we even hire ex-cops, and to be honest we are starting to get away from it. The ex-cop and retired cop personalities are just unmanageable and end up being more of a liability than an asset. Ex-military are great, but ex-law enforcement are trouble.

I don't know how anyone can sit through that whole video and not act out in some way. This video should spark riots, but instead it will just spark heartburn.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

It's no surprise really that my post isn't well received. It's much easier to be outraged than to act, just as it's much easier to criticize those who make such an observation than it is to look at our own motives or psychology.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
This video should spark riots, but instead it will just spark heartburn.

And internet whining.

I shouldn't laugh, it's sad. We're all just consumers and arm chair quarterbacks.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

ETA: People love to make fun of the ACLU, particularly conservatives, but THIS is why they exist.
edit on 14/5/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

That's a good point, people need to get involved with the system in order to change it.

Money seems to be a barrier in most cases, its kind of dividing people.

reply to post by getreadyalready

Yea, there is a private country club I used to work at where all the cops in town went. People drove drunk from there all the time, nobody says anything. It's just that kind of stuff that makes people lose faith in the rule of law. Kind of a lack of emotional discipline among some police officers.

Citizens are expected to abide by the law or else, authority isn't. Even the federal government now.
edit on 14-5-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I think people find it hard to act because they are afraid. The situation I went through was agonizing because I wanted to do something and yet I was terrified. I knew the area I lived the city and county officials were a tight knit group. I did once try to call the state's attorney's office about it but they basically blew me off, I called the state government officials and they directed me back to the county. I did read on the FBI website that misconduct could be reported to them, but trust levels fading their office was maybe 20 minutes from where I lived.

Once I was able to move to a safer area I was able to locate the advocates office and suggested they ensure all parents and students were sent a hard copy description of what they do and who to call, and when I described what we went through she was shocked, she had never known that detective to act in such a way. I don't know if my call was responsible for this but I do know at least the guy is not working as a police officer, and he's not even working in the same city so if he hurts someone else maybe he'll have less family protection.

It is scary because the way our government is set up they can totally destroy someone and because they are the "trusted officials" they can get away with it.l

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre
It is scary because the way our government is set up they can totally destroy someone and because they are the "trusted officials" they can get away with it.l

It's even scarier when you consider that exact thing has basically enslaved humanity for all of civilized history.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
After choking back the the bile, wiping away the tears of frustration, reminding myself that this is all as it is written, and deleting my first three attempts at a peaceful well rounded reply, here is my fourth try.

This is in the land where I grew up.

These are MY people.

And still I can't type the words I hear...

2011 had a record number of police fatalities...

CNN reported today that 2012 is already expected to surpass this...

I see the streets running with blood.

This is not a Police issue, though they make a good scape goat.

This is not a Government issue, though they make a better scape goat.

This is a you and I issue.

It is a people issue.

When you take anyone and give them power over you, you will be abused no matter how insignificant that power may be.

When you take those people and ask of them to handle the very darkest issues of our society, they WILL become dark in their own outlook. You cannot stare into the abyss without it staring into YOU.

This is OUR problem.

We do not stand united any more. We watch from the sidelines divided. We watch this happen and are thankful it is not US.

Rather than going door to door to meet our neighbors, rather than pulling together to protect our children, rather than fostering community, we go to our boxes at the end of the day and hide. Our full contribution to the world is complete with the punch of a clock. Now whats on TV and give me a beer. Give me anything to block it all out.

This is OUR problem, and there are no scape goats for what we are becoming.

Where is the faith I was promised in this world oh Lord? Where is the real love...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Watching my fellow students get shot with rubber bullets and tear gassed during the G-20 Summit in Pittsburgh was enough to let me know how police function in this country.

But you know what?

Like we saw during the L.A. riots back in the 90's, when the police are no where in sight...they sure are wanted.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Chai_An

It's no surprise really that my post isn't well received. It's much easier to be outraged than to act, just as it's much easier to criticize those who make such an observation than it is to look at our own motives or psychology.

My comment was also an observation not a criticism.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I want to go to my local PD, walk in, and state I want to file a complaint, and ask them if there is a formal complaint form i can have... I'm very curious to see if I receive the same response I saw in this video... Cops in my town have bad attitudes and when i lived downtown Chicago it was MUCH worse....

I guess the only way we can stop/change this is by writing our state/local reps and slowly working up the political chain. If enough people write complaing about local police, I assume changes will be made....I would love to see all 435 members of the House to receive multple letters with this video clip attached asking them if they see a problem here...
edit on 14-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
We kill at will in other countries.

We steal whatever we want from other nations.

Our culture glorifies rape and murder as the best entertainment around.

And we are surprised that people abuse the power they are given?

Weird.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Weird.

Heh, the attractive blond OWS protestor.

"What are you protesting?"

"EVERYTHING!"

(5:24 in the video, pardon the Ron Paul propaganda if you don't enjoy such a thing)

edit on 14-5-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Weird.

Glorifies rape and murder as the best entertainment around???

What?? We do? Im with you on your first 2 points, but that 3rd line totally lost me....

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AManYouALL

I see way too much hate all the way around. I see people who exaggerate and people who blindly follow in support. People don't seem to have an open mind. I mean a majority of people hate cops, yet they have not had a personally bad experience with one. The hear sound bites. The main problem in this country is the laws. Not those (yes some exceptions) who encore the laws. Stop being arm chair critics and educate yourself. I see so much hypocrisy from people. Stop hating and start thinking.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I am now thinking it has probably always been like this, there were just not all the cameras out there and ways to share the videos and pictures and stories. it makes me so sad, when I was a kid we were given the impression they were the good guys and would always help you when you needed help

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Weird.

Glorifies rape and murder as the best entertainment around???

What?? We do? Im with you on your first 2 points, but that 3rd line totally lost me....

You think an innocent man has never been raped or murdered in prison before?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I am now thinking it has probably always been like this, there were just not all the cameras out there and ways to share the videos and pictures and stories. it makes me so sad, when I was a kid we were given the impression they were the good guys and would always help you when you needed help

The sad part is that when there were no cameras it was one mans word verse another... Now that we HAVE cameras you would think we would be able to hold these cops accountable, but NO, the city/states attorneys protect each and every one of these officers, or the board of advisors (who are ALL cops) never find anything wrong with their conduct...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

CSI times Vegas, New york, LA, Miami
Law and Order
Law and Order SVU

That is only two networks and two examples of series. All start with a violent crime and then 55 minutes of who done it.

Act of Valor decent story, glorifies killing as a noble deed. Could argue either side but written in a manner that actually forces people to question your allegiance to the USA if disagree.

TV is built on the voyeurism of horrible acts from the safety of "it is not real"

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join