It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Wants More Foreign Students to Stay Here and Work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Homeland Security Wants More Foreign Students to Stay Here and Work
By Susan Jones
May 14, 2012

The DHS is Expanding their college degree / stay and work here program for foreign students.
(The STEM list)

The program allows students to stay and work in the U.S. after a degree is earned.

BUT, has this damaged opportunities for Americans ?

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano speaks:

(CNSNews.com) - The Department of Homeland Security is expanding a program that allows foreign students to work in the United States when they're finished studying at U.S. colleges and universities.

"Attracting the best and brightest international talent to our colleges and universities and enabling them to contribute to their professional growth is an important part of our nation's economic, scientific and technological competitiveness," said Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano.

According to DHS, "These reforms reflect the Obama administration's ongoing commitment to promote policies that embrace talented students from other countries, who come to study in our finest colleges and universities and enrich the nation by allowing highly skilled foreign graduates to extend their post-graduate training in the United States and work in their field of study upon graduation."

Earlier this year, DHS announced several measures that will streamline existing pathways for immigrant entrepreneurs to enter the U.S. and create businesses here; allow businesses to retain more foreign-born science and technology students who graduate from U.S. universities; and make it easier for top researchers to immigrate to the U.S.

Not bad but unemployment is high right now !!

I wonder if those graduates can work at 7-Eleven with a degree in Rocket Science ?

The "List" has categories like "Food Science", "Food Technology and Processing", "Urban Forestry"
Designated STEM programs

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Ummm.... Okay, I can see where this sort of thing could be of interest to the State Department or even Commerce. Dept of Education? Whatever.....

Where the heck does Department of Homeland *SECURITY* get off on working to bring more people in through their OWN efforts??? I want to hear DHS is diligently checking everyone coming in, every which way but sideways. That is their job to my way of thinking. When did Law Enforcement get into the business of recruiting foreign students?? This makes as much sense as the early priorities set for NASA with Muslim Outreach crap. What is this? Do any Government Departments actually do what they exist to do anymore or is the whole Government now there to further the President's personal ideas of social policy and fundamental change to our system??

There are about a 1,000 reasons now I wouldn't vote for Obama if he were the last hope the planet had. He's made it 1001. Tomorrow I imagine it'll be up to 1010. He can't help himself it seems. He just can't stop.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
But even foreign students are backing away they know very well that the USA is no longer the top and is in decline. Besides who would go in such an expensive education system.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

That was my first impression as well; how do you attract students to stay and work when all the best jobs have either dried up or relocated to China?

Bureaucracy at its best, lol.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

My family wanted me to be an engineer but really how can one be an engineer if many of the jobs are gone. My parents believed that oh if you are the best then you'll get a job but the reality is there is none. This is why foreign students are not really gonna bother coming here

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The choice of programs is scary as hell. The first though that popped into my head was Monsanto. Are they training people to take our agritech to their home countries? Ugh...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Earlier this year, DHS announced several measures that will streamline existing pathways for immigrant entrepreneurs to enter the U.S. and create businesses here; allow businesses to retain more foreign-born science and technology students who graduate from U.S. universities; and make it easier for top researchers to immigrate to the U.S.

The article doesn't mention what countries they want their foreign students from. I would think it would have to be from countries that rank higher academically than the states.

abcnews.go.com...-v--Qk

American educators received a wake-up call today when it was revealed that students in Shanghai rank number one globally in reading, math and science, far outpacing their American peers. Despite modest gains in math and science, the U.S. continues to lag behind other developed countries.

While OECD countries such as Finland, South Korea, Canada, Japan, Switzerland and New Zealand continue to outpace the U.S. in reading, science and math, all eyes are on China. In its first year to be included in the study as a non-OECD education system, Shanghai ranked first in all three categories. Hong Kong came in second in reading and science and third in math.

That article is from 1 1/2 years ago.

www.voanews.com...

China’s one child policy, says Blumenthal, has led to a situation that resources are being concentrated by families on a single child, thereby allowing them to get the best education they can get.
India is second on the list, with more than 104,000 students studying in the United States. South Korea places third with more than 72,000 students. The Asian region now makes up a majority of the total international student population.

Maybe that's why China is putting more into their USA bank branches
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.reuters.com...

And into the oil business in the US
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They won't be working at 7-11.
They may open some restaurants though, they have very good food

news.gmu.edu...

The United States is the best country in the world to start a business, according to the 2012 Global Entrepreneurship and Development Index (GEDI), a ranking that is produced in part at Mason and that compares entrepreneurial characteristics of 79 nations and identifies the entrepreneurial strengths and weaknesses of their economies.

Maybe China is getting too crowded, and they want to bring their skills elsewhere?
edit on 14-5-2012 by snowspirit because: slow link

top topics

join