It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Left-Handed People Equal To Right-Handed People? Apparently Not!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
obama left handed

left-handed US presidents, Barack Obama, left-handed US president, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Gerald Ford, Harry S. Truman, Herbert ...

do not take the link there is a virus or problem warning

Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama
are the last ones on the list
Ford, Truman and Hoover round out the list.
Out of 14 in 80 years that is 50% or even Steven and comparing coin flipping to electing
a president we might as well settle for the odds.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

As a left-handed member of this community...
I say that lefties are superior.
Many of us [lefties] have been forced to use
both hands when dealing with this right-handed
society.
I can also do the vulcan salute with both hands
at the same time!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hoagy1199

Heh, mom fought me when I was learning to write, she wouldn't let me use my left hand. Now I do everything with my left but write. Been told I WAS the devil a time or two myself! Its a great gig, lemme tell ya.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I was born left handed in Ireland in the 70s.

Primary school at 3 years of age was taught by Christian Brothers and they used to tie my left hand behind my back so I would be forced to write right handed. Left was just not accecpted.

At least I am lucky they did not molest me...... the dirty b......s.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

There are many, many left handed people who are awesome and have accomplished much in life.....

Source: www.indiana.edu...

Just as a side note: I am left-handed and I enjoy every minute of it!....I like being different.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm a left hander and damned proud of it!!!

But it has been, and continues to be, a daily struggle to fit into this western world.
I was learning bricklaying once and my boss was shocked and stunned when i turned up for work with a left handed trowel.. He thought they never existed. It was even more of a struggle for him to comprehend how I was laying bricks the way he was showing me.

He being right handed, lays the first brick to his right and works to the left, whereas I would start on the left but work to the right.
As he was teaching me i had to make each brick turn around and face the opposite direction in order to lay it next to his bricks. This was the confusing part. To try to explain this a bit more in visual terms, we'll call this I I a brick.

His bricks get cement on the end like this I II and are laid up against the first brick.
My bricks get cementon the end like this II I, but i have to turn the brick around to look like this I II in order to lay next to his brick...
That really threw his brain out of the bucket.. In order for me to be correct, I would have to start at the other end of the run and hope we could lay bricks well enough to meet in the middle with no gaps..

ATM machines are another nightmare.. all the slots are on the right and i have to reach across with my left hand in order to retrieve my card.
Doors are a pain too...
Then there are scissors and even the way some mobile phones are laid out.
There are so many more examples.. it's a long list..
Oh yes, one important one that I feel has held me back over the years.. smudges.. yes, smudges..
Every time I write something, my left hand picks up the fresh ink and smudges it across the rest of the page as I write.

Odd thing is, I eat like a right hander does.. but there are times that I forget which hand my fork/knife/spoon is supposed to be in and it just feels odd no matter which way I choose.

Another point to mention is that in partsof Asia, left handed people are supposedly very lucky indeed. I met many who wanted to know me or shake my hand or just touch me in order for them to pick up some of the left hand luck..

Perhaps it is just the western world that is twisted and not left handers.. Perhaps the west has tried to subdue the more powerful/lucky/creative/genius that is the left hander

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
my mom used to be left handed,but going to school in the 50's,she was 'taught' to be right handed with a rap on the knuckles with a ruler!!!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
They're more prone to diseases. So what?

Does that glitch keep them from producing viable offspring? Does that glitch make them incapable of loving, raising decent children, or from contributing to society in meaningful ways?

My mother was left handed and so is my twin sister, so I'm sure that you can guess my sentiment to this topic.

We don't all have to be exactly the same to have an equal value.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Gee, my boyfriend's never did seem to mind that I was left handed, especially when they were driving.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

[

Do any of you lefties literally tire yourself out from thinking on new concepts all the day long? I wouldn't have it any other way, but I tire others(righties) out sharing them. They just don't get it, or understand why I think the way I do, it's such a waste of energy to them it seems.

Oh, yeah. I identify with that. I tend to see all things as relative or analogous - no b/w in my world. At times, I digress and expand my answer to a simple question into a chapter, sometimes finding glazed eyes staring at me when I finally come back down to earth. I'm working on taming that instinct. Not sure if it is my left-handedness or my astro sign Sagittarius. What a combo though - a Sagittarian leftie! Yikes!

edit on 14-5-2012 by earth2mayavision because: clarify

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Obama is left handed so i guess that proves the op.

Second.

Also left handed and the world is made for right handers which is why we rule except him.
edit on 14-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Lol, what do you wanna bet that the majority of lefty's can perform better with right handed tasks than righty's can with left handed tasks.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I concur use my mouse with my right and I rock!!!

Second.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

They are not equal at all

You saying that you are superior to me?

Really? Is that what OP is stating? This has got to be the stupidest thread I ever read. Must have been started by a righty.
Left handed people rule the world. That's why there isn't a whole lot of us.
Glitch during the birthing process? Handedness is not determined during birth. Duh.
Judging by the intelligence of this post...I take it that OP is a common righty.
Stupid.
Whatever makes you feel better.
Tell me...what do you think about black, left-handed women? Are they considered mere animals to you?
I hope you break your right hand.
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Some more info on left handed peeps...

According to Alan Searleman of the St Lawrence University in New York there are more left-handed people with IQ's above 140 (genius bracket) than right-handed people though we are only 10 percent of the world population.

Research shows that most left-handed people think faster than our right-handed friends. To be a genius, one must be able to create original works and since lefties are better equipped than righties to think with the right side of their brains (which controls creativity) we are more likely to come up with ingenious ideas.

www.sowetanlive.co.za...

Thank you for your post. I am left handed. I am also musically and artistically gifted and I am now in school for design. My IQ isn't too shabby either...although...math is an enemy of mine.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It gratifies our overlords to unequivocally know that when race, religion, political affiliation and sexual orientation fail, we ATS members can always be divided by the dexterity of our hands and of course, thereby inevitably conquered.

I advocate an objective symposium on the disparities of left-handed and right-handed individuals though this thread is hardly exemplary of the said objectivity.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Should we treat left-handed people and right-handed people equally?

Well... should you ask a left-handed person to use a right-handed pair of scissors?

Yeah, I thought so too.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Tadeusz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

My husband and I are both right handed. We have 3 children, the oldest and the youngest are both left handed. My father is left handed and is probably the most intelligent person I have ever met. My oldest son is an honor roll student and seems to be able to retain a great deal more information than the average 17 year old. I think that left handed people are more analytical. They are special, in a good way!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2mayavision
reply to post by SunnyDee

[

Do any of you lefties literally tire yourself out from thinking on new concepts all the day long? I wouldn't have it any other way, but I tire others(righties) out sharing them. They just don't get it, or understand why I think the way I do, it's such a waste of energy to them it seems.

Oh, yeah. I identify with that. I tend to see all things as relative or analogous - no b/w in my world. At times, I digress and expand my answer to a simple question into a chapter, sometimes finding glazed eyes staring at me when I finally come back down to earth. I'm working on taming that instinct. Not sure if it is my left-handedness or my astro sign Sagittarius. What a combo though - a Sagittarian leftie! Yikes!

edit on 14-5-2012 by earth2mayavision because: clarify

I think I can beat that, try an Aquarian lefty! Just kidding, I don't know if I beat you, ha ha!

Anyway, I don't think it's a lefty thing to be analytical, but I think we think in concepts and yes, not B/W, lots of greys, and even those shades of grey can change on a dime with new pieces of data.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

You are evidence yourself of the mental deficiencies which may abound in all people left and right handed alike. My guess is that you are trying to "one up" someone who is an anathema to you and who is also left handed. Give it up. Left handed people are the only ones in their right mind.

edit on 14-5-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join