It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Sacrifice and Ancient Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Any interesting thought.

Some of the main foci of ancient alien theorists have surrounded the Mayan, Aztec, and Egyptian cultures. Where it's been concluded that human sacrifice was a part of their societies. Let's have a look, to review non-AA related articles that focus solely on the cultural practices behind this ritual.

Mayan Culture and Sacrifice

The Mayas celebrated 73 sacred years with 52 profane years. After extinguishing all the fires in the household, they smashed all the pots and pans in the kitchen. They then sat up all night long in fear and trepidation that the end of the world might occur, with the Sun failing to shine (Chapter Two, page 57). When the Sun rose again the next morning, the Mayas had to acknowledge that the world was alive and well. They relit their fires and sacrificed a few virgins and prisoners, to enjoy life for another 52 years. "Evidently, every 104 years, when the planets Mercury and Venus were in conjunction with the Sun, and especially every 312 years, when Mars joined the group, the celebration was even bigger and the number of virgins and prisoners sacrificed was substantially increaed." - (page 58)

The Aztecs had similar beliefs,
The Aztecs and Human Sacrifice

Though the human sacrifice is the most talked about, there were actually many types of sacrifices. The people believed that they owed a blood-debt to the gods (see Aztec religion for more on Aztec sacrifice). They wanted to avert disaster by paying the endless debt. So blood was a common theme - the sacrifice that the gods required.

The Egyptians also followed in suit,
[edit] (oops, forgot the link)
Egyptian Human Sacrifice

Human sacrifice is not generally connected with ancient Egypt. There is little evidence of human sacrifice during most of the dynastic period of ancient Egypt... but there is some evidence that it may have been practiced in the Nile Valley during the 1st Dynasty and possibly also Predynastic Egypt. The earliest known example of human sacrifice may perhaps be found in Predynastic burials in the south of Egypt, dated to the Naqada II Period. One of the discovered bodies showed marks of the throat from having been cut before having been decapitated. -- Human Sacrifice, Jacques Kinnaer The two definitions of human sacrifice that could be applied to the very early development of ancient Egypt are: The ritual killing of human beings as part of the offerings presented to the gods on a regular basis, or on special occasions. Retainer sacrifice, or the killing of domestic servants to bury them along with their master.

So now that we've caught up on our history lesson let's speculate and make wild accusations. Just kidding, although I do want to relate these rituals with the theories behind space-faring overlords that supposedly defined the human race. Let's just assume that there were aliens then, fitting the roles that have been loosely described by the show, Ancient Astronauts, some of you are caught up on this matter, others are highly skeptical and can't get further than a few minutes of listening to the liberal artists without throwing things (with very good reason in most cases). Again, Let's assume they are right.

So if we were to put ourselves in the mindset of the unthinkable, consider the alien's perspective, they were creating/developing/pushing/molding us to be what they wanted us to be, and they wouldn't want all their hard work to be trampled by a few lousy natural disasters, and since they probably realized a quickly developing population of a dominant species might have severe negative impacts on the environment we live in; they needed to a put a system in place, that we humans could maintain to keep our population from spiraling out of control... by now you must see where I am going with this.

Did the aliens create a facade or decree that societies must maintain population limits? If so, would this explain the rational behind mass graves and annual or generational cycles of sacrifice? Do the targets of the sacrifices line up with the criteria for maintaining population levels? (i.e. virgins, undesirables, the lazy or criminals, slaves, etc.) Most importantly, I think we can consider the Georgia Guidestones (don't know, use google) and their message about a population limit, and how that relates to the impending doom so many discuss on these forums. This mentality may be in sync with the Ancient cultures... I speculate we may be seeing a revival in this tradition, without all the split torsos and exposed pumping hearts.

One of the first holes i see in the argument is regards to the final connection of the theorists to the culture of India, which seemingly shared the same space-faring overlords. I could not find any readily available articles on the pro or cons side of this argument, and the one bit of info I did find was on wiki-pedia, which I'm hesitant to quote at the best of times,
Human Sacrifice in India?

The earliest evidence for human sacrifice in the Indian subcontinent dates back to the Bronze Age Indus Valley Civilization. An Indus seal from Harappa depicts the upside-down nude female figure with legs outspread and a plant issuing from the womb. The reverse side of the seal depicts a man holding a sickle and a woman seated on the ground in a posture of prayer. Many scholars interpret this scene as a human sacrifice in honor of the Mother-Goddess.[56][57][58][59]

Regarding possible Vedic mention of human sacrifice, the prevailing 19th-century view, associated above all with Henry Colebrooke, was that human sacrifice had little scriptural warrant, and did not actually take place. Those verses which referred to purushamedha were meant to be read symbolically[60] or as a "priestly fantasy". However, Rajendralal Mitra published a defence of the thesis that human sacrifice, as had been practised in Bengal, was a continuation of traditions dating back to Vedic periods.[61] Hermann Oldenberg held to Colebrooke's view; but Jan Gonda underlined its disputed status.

I'm sure there are plenty of other holes, which others will be informing me of rather shortly. We should never consider it ignorant to explore the possible, no matter how diluted or speculative... If we lived in 1800 and someone said, "One day, we'll have portable devices that send invisible signals to other devices so we could communicate over great distances effortlessly." We'd all have though that person to be ignorant, so in exploring lets check the hostility at the door, I know how worked up some of you get about this stuff.

I guess we'll truly never know, because none of us were there, and by the looks of it, thank.... God? Any how, just some food for thought, this is almost completely irrelevant to the current day dilemma, and is pure speculation based on assumptions. I don't mean to deter our developing focus on the task at hand. Let the hilarity ensue.
edit on 14-5-2012 by wishful1gnorance because: Posted Missing URLs

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

wow,very interesting...I have always pondered the subject
...especially the still beating hearts raised to the sky.

no hilarity ensued at all

edit on 14-5-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Very Insightful thread.

Sometimes I wonder if our current idea of early human sacrifice in these societies happened the way we're told to believe. I believe that a lot of the depictions we see in art and through artifacts we're of something else entirely. A lot of ancient cultures depicted more metaphorical messages through their artwork. Mass graves could be the normal way they disposed of bodies. Kind of like a ritual. I'm sure other cultures see us burying single coffins and look at us as we're doing our rituals so who knows, maybe its just misleading.
Regardless, the ancient cultures seem like they we're way more advanced and 'in tune' with nature than we are today. The disfunction of language and culture that we see today is absent for the most part. The only big difference I noticed as time has gone by is more of a reluctantness of death and war. What drives people to the brink believing that war is a necessary act when we are all truly equal. We're only divided by the walls we construct.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

We're only divided by the walls we construct.
reply to post by kingllama

I totally agree...well said

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Sometimes I wonder if there really is a reason to appeal to bloodlust.

LOL

I'm no cannibal but it would make sense. We hold meat in high regard in our social construct. Maybe there's a reason its outlawed! :p

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Good points, I forgot to mention that there were many branches on this tree of thought that I'd left room to explore, certainly there are nuances of these cultures that I am unaware of that others could bring insight too, low and behold, ta da. I do certainly wonder how many things have been lost in translation and are just simply to far out from our cultural perspective to see them for what they really were.

Honestly it seems that we're lucky to have as much information as we do, most people can barely keep up with what happened last week, let alone what happened several millenia ago.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Very true
...thanks for the coffee spit

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The actual Mexican Cartels Carnage aka The ancient Aztec Sacrifice Rituals...

top topics

join