It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about "New Agers"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Let the labels go and what are you left with?
youtu.be...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3
. clarify.
edit on 14-5-2012 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2012 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

You have chosen a label IE "New Age" Why do you need a label and defend a label
Consider that all things labeled New Age are not true in fact some are deceit purportrated and set up by CIA and other dis info agents.
A classic case is Modern American Art Movement
New Age is not all dis info of course not but it is infiltrated and the dis info aspects turn some from the good stuff
That is why I ask why do you buy into a label

edit on 14-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

because I find that it's not a very "new" point of view.

I think my problem with new age is that so much stuff is lumped in with it. Everything from aliens to telepathy to reincarnation to God to healing crystals to elements of the occult (occult is another word with a lot lumped in behind it), etc. You are right that most beliefs considered New Age are not actually new.

The "New Age" movement has absolutely no doctrine.

Of course not, because, as I said, there is so much blended into New Age. Everything from religion, philosophy, pseudo-science and science alike is copy and pasted into New Age. If it had a clear definition or doctrine it wouldn't be as easily dismissed as "New age nonsense". I have a tendency to use the phrase "new age gobbledegook" which refers to any pseudo-philosophical, pseudoscientific or pseudospiritual sentence that has no real meaning when you get down to it.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, from a website that was linked in an ATS thread about music creating an artificial matrix, but when you get into reading it you suddenly realize that it might as well be random words chosen out of a dictionary

The basic story of these universal rituals, much like the Garden of Eden story, is that the females used to control the power for healing and the power for paranormal creation. The men have taken this healing power but secretly know it comes from the females and the men have to be very careful not to lose this ability -- the ability to create "rainbow snakes" for paranormal reality. Amazingly Dr. Andrew Parker's recent book on the Cambrian Explosion of life, some 500 million years ago, argues that "quantum diffraction gradients" were the secret behind evolution. In other words the same "rainbow snake" that you see when looking at the back of a compact disc is also how early sea bioluminscence worked in developing neurons that became brains for cognition.

The quantum diffraction gradients look evenly spaced but because of asymmetric resonance the grooves enable self-organizing of ionized energy -- into mass -- and back again into spacetime communication. This self-organizing through a higher holographic dimension is called "hidden correspondance" in quantum chaos science and also called "ghost resonance."

Source

I used to use this kind of maddening jargon while writing science fiction stories, it's what might be termed word salad, or technobabble.

I've got nothing against New Agers, I fully understand the desire to cherry pick all the best parts of every religion, philosophy and belief system, hell I used to be a pantheist who believed in reincarnation, that's pretty darn new age... but eventually I realized I was kidding myself and had no real reason to believe any of those things. I was like a kid trying to hold onto Santa Claus by giving him cool new powers but in the end had to admit that he just isn't real.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

I gave you a S&F for what I consider the most grounded explanation of the New-Age movement I have proably ever heard ...

I am a practicing Witch who follows the traditional path of the 'Old Religion' ... and I have to confess the mention of the term 'New -Age' generally makes my teeth itch and my blood boil because it tends to attract week-end hippies and charlatans by the thousands (those who think it's cool and trendy and those who like to con money out of the gullible and vunerable) ... but you put forward a good explanation for what lies at the core of the New-Age movement ... and you reminded me that you are not all bad people with ulterior motives ... thanks for that and my sympathies go with you because you have picked a troubled road to follow because of the clouds created by the ner'do'wells'

Good look on your continued journey ... you make a good spokes-person for your cause.

Woody

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by Itisnowagain

I do well at doubting so yes. I can't prove that everyone isn't just a figment of my creative imagination, I can't prove that 'this' is even happening. Truth might also be just a figment of our imagination. No, I dont believe the above

What is "this" that is happening now?

why now? This is a question that if you believe you know why, would be better answered in deaf aliens thread. (i can't place links because of being on mobile sorry)

I really don't know what you interpret 'this', truth, and awake to be.. There is alot I need to learn about you new agers otherwise id continue being confused.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

Just this:
youtu.be...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Why do you not explain in your own words?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Peter Brown says it quicker than i can write it.
Please feel free to read all my previous posts, it is all i speak about.

What 'this' is cannot be put into words because it is prior to conceptulization.
Conceptulization is words.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

A lot of what we feel and believe is in synchronicity with Buddhism.

No, it's not. In fact, much of the New Age movement is diametrically opposed to Buddhist teachings. Buddhism seeks to end suffering by renouncing desire, including the desire for enlightenment itself. Its practices are rigorous, disciplined and austere. The ultimate goal is the direct experience of reality through penetrating delusion. This results in the realization that the "self" does not exist. On the contrary, the New Age movement panders to to ego by introducing ever more attractive delusions. Its methods are not disciplined or rigorous, and generally the opposite of austere.

The New Age movement is largely a marketing scheme; it is used to sell crystals, videos, "holistic health" products and other material goods. It reinforces the ego's desires and causes the ego to become more firmly entrenched. For further arguments, see Chogyam Trungpa's "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism." Choggie wasn't a very good Buddhist, but that book is a good introduction to the difference between spirituality and the New Age movement.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Ive watched it (should be proud of me
) an yet still an enigma. lol this is now, now is this!! what is this? That is this.. Lol

no matter how we interpret 'this' our answers will be different and to be focused on questions that can't be answered should make you more of a doubter than me.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Fair enough but Peter Green has his own perspective which you say you share
You see it is easy to give out information but to show you understand that information or not you need to put forward your understanding of the information in your own words or by your own example.
Otherwise it is just the repetition of information and does not show your understanding of the information.
I do not mean this personally as it applys to me and others also
Just felt this needed saying

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod

Ive watched it (should be proud of me
) an yet still an enigma. lol this is now, now is this!! what is this? That is this.. Lol

no matter how we interpret 'this' our answers will be different and to be focused on questions that can't be answered should make you more of a doubter than me.

Do not interpret 'this'. See and know that 'this' is all there is and let that be the end. Know 'this' without any label.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by strafgod

Just this:
youtu.be...
hmm.. 'Tis conceptualization ,,dreams
Ideas ... Conception

Text....The egg is released and travels ........The egg can be fertilized for about 24 hours after ovulation.
......If no sperm is around to fertilize the egg, it and the corpus luteum will degenerate, removing the high level of hormones. This causes the
..necessity for?

edit on 14-5-2012 by nii900 because: 'Tis is a memoir written by Frank McCourt. Published in 1999,..., the free encyclopedia

edit on 14-5-2012 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Read all my posts.
I know of that which i speak.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Read all my posts.
I know of that which i speak.

That sounds rather pompous and arrogant a lot like those who profess to be enlightened such as Gurus and satsang - All I see is you finding fault in any who do not share your views because You Know That of which You speak - Lol Yet this is a live discussion so pray tell

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Read all my posts they just keep repeating the same truth.
You see me finding fault? I can see that the mind is at fault, i see the conditioning of mind.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

"Do not interpret 'this'. See and know that 'this' is all there is and let that be the end. Know 'this' without any label."

I think its instinctive of us to do that naturally. I just think there isn't anything deep about it to embrace 'new age' philosophies, that ill admit I know little about.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I like new age stuff.... Began noticing it was coming on strong in the late 80s from my point of view. There is no harm done in my opinion with any belief as long oas you allow others their free will to believe whatever they choose as well.

The problem I have with any belief system is the attachment that comes with it. I believe in Jesus but do not call myself a Christian. I am just a seeker....nothing more. I learn from all belief systems as I find it interesting what others feel and or believe. Some people are soooo attached to their belief that it comes off to others including myself as over powering to the point of negativity. That is not something I like to be around unless the attachment comes with an open mind and heart to share beliefs.

ETA: Also....not so sure new age is so new. Its been adopted just like every other belief. It reminds me of gnostism in a way but....what do I really know. Lol my mind just does not understand the seperation of lables. It is another way to divide in my opinion. One day I would love to see everyone believe in themselves and others and drop the lables....
edit on 14-5-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
In reference to the term 'New Age', I always understood this to mean something in relation to the coming astrological 'Age of Aquarius', and the theoretical/spiritual ramifications associated with that transition? Although there are conflicting opinions about whether we are now in the age of Aquarius already.

Nowadays the term seems to be used to reference a person with 'alternative' spiritual beliefs. But generally where I come from if a person is labeled a 'New-Ager' it means that they have dream catchers hanging in their house, smoke weed, and say things about seeing your aura and so on.

edit on 14-5-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I am speaking to you now I could say read my posts too
But we are discussing New Age here and now so what is your point again
Here let me make a point about New Age for you to respond to
New Age is has many charlatans who others follow like the way old religions had followers
By Charlatans I mean those who make broad brush statements that one is not allowed to question
Yet these Charlatans offer no real insight into the nature of reality
Their followers merely parrot cosmic sounding ideas without any substance to back them up
About as useful or loving as some Enlightened Guru sitting in a cave contemplating his naval
Hows that plenty there to respond to in Your own words

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join