It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the first heterosexual marriage between Adam and Eve in the Garden?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Wow, it's been an exhausting time for both the religious and gay minorities lately, with almost an entire election gravitating around the issue of gay marriage.

The one thing that baffles me increasingly is reading that marriage goes back to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and some Christians say this is the origin of marriage between one man and one woman.

Where exactly in Genesis 1-2 does this marriage take place?
Was it a civil or religious marriage?

Why would a marriage take place in the Garden, when our first parents couldn't procreate at this point?

Did the animals all attend?
Did the jealous old snake attend?
Did God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit also attend?
Did Eve wear a frilly white fig leaf?
What did Adam wear?
Who baked the cake?
What music did they dance to?

I'm not sure, but that's my understanding of a wedding and a marriage.

Well in Genesis 1 God made people last, and in Genesis 2 He made Adam first.
So I guess any marriage must be in Genesis 2.
Must we read between the lines?
I really can't find it.

I see a bond between a male God who made Adam for His own pleasure.
Was this the "marriage"?

Then God made Adam a mate, and look what happened?
So if that implies a marriage, then it cursed the whole human race.
Then they get ejected from Eden because of Eve, and it's the first time she gets a practical purpose of bearing children in pain, although nowadays women get painkillers and operations in childbirth, so God wasn't taken literally there either.
I think if they did get married, it happened after they were kicked out.

And then, how can they say it was between one man and one woman?
God allowed polygamy, concubinage and even rape throughout the entire Old Testament!
So sure, it was between men and women, but usually between one man and many girls and women.
God instructed this!
It was not modern monogamy.

So isn't it blasphemy to say God married Adam and Eve in the Garden, and that was His eternal model for marriage?
Isn't that like saying that marriage was the Titanic of human/deity relationships?

Here's an interview with Kirk Cameron, who says "marriage is as old as dirt", and the first marriage was between Adam and Eve in the Garden.
marquee.blogs.cnn.com...

edit on 13-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Adam and Eve were never married.

Also, they most likely never existed, but that's a whole different story.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by garbageface
Adam and Eve were never married.

Also, they most likely never existed, but that's a whole different story.

lol good one.

yeah OP, i'm afraid that while i agree with the spirit of this one and wish i weren't about to say this; it's probably a futile endeavor. those opposed to gay marriage aren't ACTUALLY basing these viewpoints off of the bible or anything, they just go with their gut feelings and use religion to justify the hate. you never hear somebody who "supports traditional marriage" be like "damn i really miss all of my gay friends, but you know what the good book says!" no it's always "gays are an abomination and guess what! the bible agrees!" they go to the bible AFTER they make their minds up about "the gays"

but either way, the story of adam and eve, and even the people alive when the bible was written, are so far removed from modern society why you would base modern laws and guidelines on them is beyond me.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Maybe they just jumped the broom.
Silly things aren't they, that people get all worked up over, especially during election times?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Who baked the cake?
What music did they dance to?

WHAT?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

What, they don't actually base their views on the Bible?

So this is all a personal dislike dressed up as religion?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The marriage is assumed since it was God himself that crafted Eve out of Adam. Eve was made by God specifically for Adam.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Hebrew definition of marriage is the act of sex you merge and become one. It was an agreement between the parents that made up the celebration, the church came in much later after Christ for fear of a christian maiden marrying a non-christian male.
edit on 13-5-2012 by mikeprodigy because: add

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

The marriage is assumed since it was God himself that crafted Eve out of Adam. Eve was made by God specifically for Adam.

God crafted Eve out of Adam? It this the old wives tale of the rib again? Whoever originally wrote that in Genesis must have really disliked women, and even if they had a girlfriend they probably abused her on a daily basis. Women came from Adam's rib - ha! - the gullibility of some church-goers and Bible-readers challenges even the best of P.T. Barnum.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Well I can understand "assumed", and that's actually a good way of putting it.
Thanks.

Of course "assumed" also has it's limitations, the animals too were created for Adam.
In fact, it seems everything except for the forbidden tree.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If you want to get technical, before there was Eve, it just Adam and God. Two dudes.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

And a very jealous snake, who was once God's favorite, and most beautiful creation.

According to some Jewish myth wasn't there also Adam's first wife - Jezebel?

edit on 13-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Crap, there are so many phallic references here.

LOL, Eve taken from Adam's rib. The original "pain in my side" jab.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

God allowed polygamy, concubinage and even rape throughout the entire Old Testament!

That's just it...back in the day, God was pretty fun, but then he had a kid, and kind of mellowed out...you know how it is... Hardly ever comes around anymore these days...I should probably give him a call....

Whoever originally wrote that in Genesis must have really disliked women

You have to realize the times of the authors of the Bible. In their day, women were pretty much treated as second class citizens, and more like property than equals. That's why the Bible is rife with blaming troubles on the female gender, including the concept of original sin, etc. Heck, this treatment even continued in modern times with the general diagnosis of "Hysteria" etc. for hormonal issues, finally allowing the right to vote, etc. It's hard for us today to even contemplate such a society, but we have to examine the words within the framework of the society in which they were penned.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Adam's first wife according to Jewish folklore was not Jezebel, but indeed Lilith:
art.net...

top topics

join