Wild Elephants gather inexplicably, mourn death of “Elephant Whisperer”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
What a wonderful and inspiring real life story. It is also so sad that the animals that are so smart are the ones suffering the most by our cruelty.

The true teacher of all things, the most powerful of all, is what animals like these have learned to respect and appreciate - Mother Nature -.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Many years ago I was annoyed by the ground squirrels that seemed to delight in "stealing" the birdseed that I had set out for the birds. I tried every type of "squirrel-proof" bird feeder to no avail. Frustrated and fed up, I decided to take action. I refilled the bird feeder and waited, hi-power BB gun in hand. The offending pair of squirrels showed up as if they knew there was fresh seed to be had.

I took careful aim and shot, blowing the brains out of one of the pests right through his mouth. It was so fast and silent, his partner in crime had no idea what had happened. He/she nudged him to get up as I walked out from my hidden snipe. I yelled to let them both know who was "boss."

I picked up the dead offender by the tail and carried him off into the woods so his carcass would not stink up my patio.

His partner followed.

Not afraid.

When I tossed the corpse off into the leaves far enough away that I would not smell the death. He chased after it, and looked up at me.

I have never been a bunny hugger and quite frankly cannot stand shills such as "Kali 74." However, that damn squirrel looked at me as if asking "why?". He kept nudging his friend and looking up at me as if to ask, "what did you do to my friend.". I do not believe in anamorphizing and quite frankly still believe people who act in this way are nuts. However, I have come to learn each and every living thing has an escense which we might call a soul.

I have not hunt since. Nothing, no elk, no deer, no turkey. I still fish, but practice catch and release, making sure to thank each fish for blessing me with his strength and courage as I set him loose.

I am no vegan. I love a good steak, had some prime rib last night if I may say so. However, I think I have finally come to respect all life.

Even secret squirrels. Especially secret squirrels. I am sorry for killing your mate. I was wrong. Please forgive me. I have learned how wrong I was and promise to never be so disrespectful of life ever again.
edit on 15-5-2012 by Idahomie because: Because

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I see your point...NOT!

The elephants were twelve hours away!

Big loudspeaker!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

No, not that suprising at all that the humans knew where the elephants were OR how long it took them to reach their destination, the point is that herds like this, ex rogue herds, are most probably kept track of in order to make sure that they don't revert back to their old habits. They were known to be approximately twelve hours of walking away at the average speed of elephant herds of those paricular sizes, taking baby, immature and aged elephants into account and that is how the 12 hour number was arrived at.

Why do all of you cynics even have to chime in if you have nothing of worth to add to the thread!

Why do you even bother to read the thread, does it really make you feel that good to make such feeble attempts at trying to deny something just because you don't understand it?

It doesn't really matter in any case because judging by the responses made to this thread the cynics and sceptics are in the minority in a MAJOR way!

edit on 15/5/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Idahomie

This was a difficult post to read but I am sure it was even more difficult to write.

Thank you for revealing your heart and be sure that the day this event happened marked a profound change in your life and a huge step forward for you!

Stars!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Thanks, it still brings me to tears thinking about that little bugger. It was almost twenty years ago and I am still sorry for what I did. Before that, I killed, a lot. In my service, I killed without hesitation. I killed for food. I killed for fun. Then I killed that little squirrel and have not intentionally or wontonly killed since. I was not expecting that lesson, but have never forgotten it either. I realize now the finality of the act of killing and hope I am never forced to use that skill ever again. Each and every living being has something that if we are open to its wisdom, we can learn.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
It is my vision that if one fully connects with nature, one becomes nature. He proved that statement wright in a life legacy that speaks to the heart. He showed that all you need is to follow an internal spark when it happens, never give up and always speak from the heart. Be not concerned with money and time, those things are insignificant when your whole being gets invigorated and becomes alive through following your own spark.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I see your point...NOT!

The elephants were twelve hours away!

Big loudspeaker!

You would be surprised at how well Elephants can hear .... do you know that if you have a quiet area such as this huge park you could hear if i blew a whistle from many miles away and thats you as a Human, so just imagine how far an Animal with good hearing could be....

The hearing range of an elephant is 16-12,000 hertz. They can communicate with other elephents within a 5 mile radiususing an extremely low pitch sound which us humans cannot hear.wiki.answers.com...

Hearing ability is amongst the best of all land creatures. The range of elephants hearing is much superior than that of human beings. They communicate in extremely low ranges and sounds can travel many kilometers.

It is thought that this ability is mainly used when communicating between a female in heat looking for a suitable male companion. The sound made is beyond the range of the human ear but is said to contribute to the "rumble in the jungle"

www.thaifocus.com...

So, what i'm saying is they could have used the call of an Elephant or the call of Anthony on a Loudspeaker from many miles away.
edit on 15-5-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Thank you for your acknowledgement to my assembly of words. I enjoyed writing them and each time I author a post like this I think I learn something more than had I simply read your thread without replying to it.

If I could suggest anything to anyone who visits ATS as lurkers, but have yet to create an account or reply to threads they are interested in, I would urge them to create themselves an account and become active in the threads that interest them.

Using the ATS format to it’s full extent can really amplify the experience here, leading to knowledge and understanding that may have never been or will never be realized by not sharing opinions with others who are interested in the same thread, at the same point in time.

Thanks again for your thread and glad I could be a part of it.

reply to post by MountainLaurel

Thank you Laurel, I appreciate your words and confidence in me. I do hope the paper results in something others can enjoy and even add more to.

I am really writing it as a hobby, since my school days have passed by, but I want to compose it in a way that can be seen as having effort an understanding written into it’s words. That can only be done, in my opinion, with a lot of practice and literary understanding - 2 things I don’t have a ton of yet.

Thanks again for your reply to my post!

reply to post by Josephus

Hi Josephus and thank you too, for your reply.

I agree that Love does hold a huge importance to our existence and the choices we make.

You mentioned the ‘Survivor’ contestant’s words, asserting he share’s a quantum entanglement with his loved one. I believe that is true, without exception - regardless of those who choose to acknowledge it as truth or choose to ignore it totally.

We can obviously understand verbal language and body language of humans with much more depth and understanding than any other life form we come in contact with.

This does have it’s down side, I believe. People develop their personalities, based on what they require, using all the different subtleties of communication. Developing their personalities this way leads to a uniqueness that separates each and everyone of us.

What can be unfortunate for some and advantageous for others can be the incorporation of deceit into their personalities. Honing their skill to find the most opportune time to deceive others can be consider a wicked practice. Regardless of the wickedness some may see, it is a trait that is used by nearly every human, at some point or another.

I am reminded of this when reading your post about the ‘Survivor’ show several years ago, where the contestant lied about the death of his Grandmother in order to gain favor of the other players in the competition. I believe it worked perfectly for him, leaving the competitors upset with his actions and destroying any trust he had previously developed.

All of the good emotions experienced can be countered with sad emotions. Even the best and worst emotions can be used as tools to create a path of least resistance, when someone is so determined and willing to disregard any standard of ethics, in order to obtain what they desire most.

I wonder if behavior like this would still exist in a Utopian society?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

that was an awesome video thanks! can't wait to show the kids

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

haha, your post reminded me of my dog.

A few years ago I was in a local convenient store, where I saw a 20ish year old guy holding a tiny puppy under his shirt. He told the girl in line that he was taking it to the dog pound, because he couldn't keep it and no one wanted it.

Long story short, I took the dog, with the intentions of finding it a home somewhere, 3.5yrs later and he is still here - named Dexter after the serial killer on Showtime.

I began teaching him simple tricks like sit, lay, roll over, beg, shake hands, etc. When outisde, I say 'In' and he comes to the front door without hesitation. I can point a finger bang at him, pull the trigger and he will roll over and play dead.

My point is that he is apparently pretty smart and most dogs probably have the capability to form a line of communication with us, based on physical and verbal interaction.

My mom visits here quite often and has become good friends with Dexter. She swears that he understand English.

She claims she can say 'go lay down' and he lays down. She can say, 'stay on the porch' - he will not leave the porch, even after we have left and returned a couple hours later.

She can say, stay in the yard, he stays within the borders of our yard, with no physical or electrical fence in place.

What is strange is that she can talk to him, like she would talk to anyone, and he will listen to her and do exactly what she asks him to. Outside, she can say, go inside and get a drink of water then jump in the bathtub and wait on me to wash you - he will do it! haha, pretty amazing, now I am making myself want to record this behaviour and post it here.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Love the name Dexter. I've always had big dogs. My son got the little 20 pound one that has a attitude of a 200+.

He looks like a Irish Wolfhound with short legs that got shrunk in the dryer.

Funny how some things are meant to be.

Would like to see a picture of Dexter.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

hey pavil,thanks for posting those great videos,loved them all.especially the one about shirley.thanks again

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LightsideAssassin

Actually, if I may digress, I'd say that we are the ones who really don't seem to fit in anywhere on the evolutionary chain. Every species on this earth operates within it's ecosystem, having their own equilibrium and natural population control, except for us, that is. We move from one area to the next, devouring all resources as we go. I guess Agent Smith from the Matrix had it pretty much right. The only organisms that we share any real commonality with are viruses. I don't really believe in coincidence either, so there has to be a reason that we have "evolved" in such a manner, almost in spite of our ecological limitations. In short, we just don't seem to belong here now do we?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Your little dog looks so awesome with those small legs. I bet he is funny to play with.

My dog, Dexter, was supposed to be a #zu - according to the original owner at the convenience store. That's a small reason I considered keeping him as an indoor dog. He reached 15lbs and I thought, 'Surely he is done growing'

At 25lbs I wasn't sure if he would ever stop growing, but he did. He now weight 47lbs and stands just below my knees (I am 6' tall)

I took him to the vet and she determined he wasn't a mix/mut, but instead was a bonafide 'Golden-Doodle' even though I had never before heard of such a dog. Crossed between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle.

He is an attractive dog, as animals go, and he is definitely better than I am at picking up women... he's my secret weapon when I am hunting for a date.

Here is a close up of him:

Here are some other Golden Doodles. They are literally close to being identical. The obvious differences are Dexter has a red/pink nose and golden colored eyes too (similar to the appearance of some red headed people, nice looking eyes that seem to match their hair and, to some degree, skin pigmentation:

Here is an image of exactly how he looks if not groomed in time:

An image of what he looked like as a pup, plus the red nose and golden eyes

Another picture that closely resembles him as a pup:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Nice to see how animals can sometimes bring out the best in people.

Awesome video.

Thank you for sharing and I still think your avatar is one of the coolest on ATS.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Idahomie

At least you learned.

Some people never learn.

We counted 9 squirrels in our neighbors yard yesterday. I guess feeding the pregnant mama all winter long paid off, shes got a whole slew of little ones trailing after her now.

Squirrels are actually pretty smart. On a cold winter day, if their feeder is empty, they will come and knock three times on the bottom part of my aluminum door to remind me to fill the feeder. During the warm seasons they don't bother us. They do come out though to say hi cause they know I'm the food goddess.

I talk to them and a couple chatter back. I even have a picture I posted on ATS of one smiling at me.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Yep, dolphins, and whales. It makes me feel sick to think about how little regard some people have for these wonderful, sentient, smart, sensitive creatures.

I didn't want to "go overboard" with the notion.....but I completely agree with you.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

lol, oh my gosh...what a cute dog....never heard of that bread....very sweet....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
We will never know what we have killed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join