Wild Elephants gather inexplicably, mourn death of “Elephant Whisperer”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
How come were always threatening to shoot the elephants? Come get the elephants or were gonna shoot them. If the elephants get out were gonna shoot them. The elephants got out, were gonna have to shoot them.

Puny humans.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Just look at the size of the brains that Elephants have. In doing that, it's hard for me not to believe that they might actually be smarter than us.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Wolfenz

Maybe it has something to do with Mirror neurons

A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another.[1][2][3] Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behaviour of the other, as though the observer were itself acting. Such neurons have been directly observed in primate and other species including birds. In humans, brain activity consistent with that of mirror neurons has been found in the premotor cortex, the supplementary motor area, the primary somatosensory cortex and the inferior parietal cortex.

en.wikipedia.org...

Power of Suggestion of Vision

hmm interesting Ironically

ive just watched an Old Episode of Night Gallery an early 70s Tvs Program
like in a sense Twilight Zone as it has even Rod Serling as a Host

The First One to be exact !!

Called the Dead Man

another movie is called

Resurrection
www.imdb.com...

See Here form the Clip of the Movie I was Thinking about when you say Mirror Neurons !
you will be glade to see ...

Resurrection: Miracle Healing Scene

A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another.[1][2][3] Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behaviour of the other, as though the observer were itself acting.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wow that's amazing story. Maybe he came to them in a vision or something and knew of his death. This almost tears to my eyes. What's amazing how the elephants knew and how they went to pay their respects to him.
RIP. Hope the elephants will be able to find someone just as kind to them as he was.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hello OneHuman! Awesome thread you have here!

I saw a couple replies, commenting on how we have no idea what we have here on our home planet.

I have to agree totally. We have no idea all the diversity and depth we have right outside our doors and, in many cases, inside our homes too.

We have all seen articles, threads authored, and even asked ourselves what might aliens look like? Would they be intelligent, would they be bi-pedal? Could they communicate with us in a way we would understand, would they be violent, peaceful, technologically advanced, or primitive to our standards?

To answer those questions, we need only look into the vast assortment of life, created by Mother Nature and nourished by Mother Earth.

There was a good thread recently on ATS that posed a challenge to humanity. The author of that thread suggested we should understand and develop our compassion and use it to see through the eye's of others. Not only through the eyes of other humans, but through the eyes and consciousness of all identifiable life forms.

Using compassion this way suggested we may be able to understand the characteristics and actions of other life forms, in a way we have yet to acknowledge.

We do not need to develop super high technology transportation or fantasize about other life in the cosmos, because we can see creatures that are absolutely alien to our way of thinking each and every time we step out into nature.

I believe there is something connecting us humans to all the other life forms on Earth - not just animal life, but also plant life as well - and allowing us to sense the emotional state of mind each being of life is currently in.

Although we can not engage in verbal or visual communications with other life forms here, we can most certainly understand their body language and actions they display through their instincts.

This communication allows us to sense assess the threat level of the confrontation, react appropriately to ensure our safety, within a matter of seconds. Although this 'inter-species' language can be agreed on as a fact of reality, could there be a deeper communication taking place that we have yet to identify?

Could there even be a more intelligible form of communication used by different species in the wild, one that we as humans can not detect? I think it is most definitely a possibility.

I have developed my own opinion on what the bond of communication, tying all living creatures together, consists of.

My idea/opinion is that Love is an emotion experienced by all life on Earth, though it may be demonstrated in vastly different ways from one species to the next, and it is Love that bonds us together.

When you are loved by someone, you feel the love they give you. When you love someone, they can feel it as well. When you truly are in love with someone, there is no doubt of an incredibly dominant emotion that is felt when the object of your love in thought of. In many cases of those who are In Love with someone else, it is hard to identify a period of time where your loved one doesn't infiltrate every single thought you have.

I believe when Love is given to one person and the person receiving the Love reciprocates the feeling, they establish a line of communication, based entirely on the Love they share. Identifying their traits and personality, coupled with Love, allows for an incredible connection with a much higher standard of communication than a pair of people who are not in love

We can sense when our loved ones are sick, happy, sad, mad, etc - when we can not do this easily, or at all, with acquaintances we have no Love for.

It is hard to tell at all, but I suppose it could be possible that certain species of the animal kingdom have developed their instinct for Love to a much higher level, compensating in part to the inability to use audible language. Establishing a Bond of Love, communication may be advanced to a level where one animal can convey their feelings to another animal of the same species (similar to spreading a rumor), even though that connection is originally between 2 different species.

This could clearly be identified as a conscious communication between members of one species. It could also be theorized that this type of communication does indeed span across several different species and that humans can simply not relate to, or connect to it on such a detailed level.

If this is ever confirmed, then Pandora's Box of the animal kingdom may be opened. Communicating with love, as fact, would no doubt raise questions about what other emotions can be present in different species.

Identifying the loss of their human friend, using Love, may have led to a emotional state of mourning.

Maybe all emotions humans experience are also experienced by many other species, but on a different level of comprehension and expression.

(sorry for super long post, I'm kinda practicing for an upcoming paper I'm writing)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There is far more potential in us humans than we give ourselves credit for, that said the animal kingdom is just as unique and full of surprises.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Great story, star and flag.

This is why I'm on ATS.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalk

Originally posted by onehuman
Even though this is a sad story in one aspect, it is also a incredible story as well. They mystery and magic of the animal kingdom never ceases to amaze me. I have to ay for me, sad as it is, I also find myself having a feel good moment as well about it. Hope it stirs you folks as well in some wondrous way.

Here is a couple snips of the story:

For 12 hours, two herds of wild South African elephants slowly made their way through the Zululand bush until they reached the house of late author Lawrence Anthony, the conservationist who saved their lives.The formerly violent, rogue elephants, destined to be shot a few years ago as pests, were rescued and rehabilitated by Anthony, who had grown up in the bush and was known as the “Elephant Whisperer.”

For two days the herds loitered at Anthony’s rural compound on the vast Thula Thula game reserve in the South African KwaZulu – to say good-bye to the man they loved. But how did they know he had died March 7? Known for his unique ability to calm traumatized elephants, Anthony had become a legend. He is the author of three books, Baghdad Ark, detailing his efforts to rescue the animals at Baghdad Zoo during the Iraqi war, the forthcoming The Last Rhinos, and his bestselling The Elephant Whisperer.

To read the rest of the story and see pictures of the herds, CLICK HERE

Thanks for sharing, wonderful and touching tale, almost moved me to tears. Animals may not be as smart as us but they can definitely feel and sense. And judging from the way humans are treating them I wouldn't consider those elephants "wild", just deeply and naturally resentful at the deprival of their freedom and murder of their relatives through no fault of their own. Much thanks to Lawrence Anthony for saving those creatures' lives and may his soul rest in peace.

Much credit too to whites as we seem to be the only ones who go out of our way to save and preserve wildlife throughout the world. I have yet to see a negro, arab, or asian go out of their way to do something for the benefit of the planet, rather than whine about western oppression while flooding our countries with their unwanted presence and lapping up our culture and technology like a 70 year old whore with her first client. The world certainly benefits the most from our control of it.

What a worthless piece of # you are, trying to ruin a thread with your racist drivel. Die in a fire..seriously..

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the story, *speechless...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightwalk

You might want to look at The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust at this site.

DSWT

All of the keepers do a tremendous amount of work with the orphan elephants and rhinos there, and no they are not "white." I really don't like that you brought skin color into this topic. It's irrelevant. There are people of all walks of life that do things to help animals. The keepers at the DSWT even sleep in the same enclosures with the baby elephants.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

That was very well written for practice... just thought 'd let you know that

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
In my opinion, Elephants are one of the maybe 10 sentient creatures on this planet. Some smarter than others, with humans having the highest intellect, but you don't have to be able to build a skyscraper to be sentient.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It's not a surprise that the elephants mourned the passing of the man. Elephants are known to mourn their dead. They cover their deceased loved ones with leaves, and and return to caress the bones with their trunks. They are said to recognise the deceased from the bones, and return to the same site over and over.

What *is* surprising in this article is that the elephants traveled 12 hours to do it. It's remarkable, because somehow people knew that the elephants had decided to set off to the guys house, marked the time at the start of the journey and followed the same animals all the way and recorded the arrival at the house.

Who knew that hairless apes were able to read the minds of elephants. The wonders of the animal kingdom never cease to amaze me.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I Loved your long post, it was beautiful and well written, good luck on your paper....you really expressed such deep and profound points, lol, that I think I will need to read it again to fully grasp how special your point of view is.....your going to ace that paper......

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by DAVID64

Just look at the size of the brains that Elephants have. In doing that, it's hard for me not to believe that they might actually be smarter than us.

Add dolphins/whales to the "smarter than humans" list too. You don't see any of 'em lying to start wars and doing all manner of evil now do ya?
I wonder if sentient "animals" such as these are originally from earth at all..

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Elephants are amazing animals. This story is fantastic, thanks so much OP.

I am convinced we know almost nothing about how intelligent they really are.

Elephants are my favorite animals. It seems as if they are peering into your soul when they look at you (they might very well be). I don't go to the circus as I did as a child...it disturbs me greatly just to see the look in their eyes. I cry every time.
What beautiful and heavenly creatures. I feel honored to have ever been in the vicinity of one. I got to ride one as a small child and that's when I developed my admiration, that and the fact that I watched Dumbo.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
First of all, I truly love elephants. They will return to their friends grave and fondle their bones, grieving. Truly beautiful animals.
I wanted to share a personal story. I was driving and saw a squirrel on the road. He had been hit by a car. As I tried carefully to avoid him, I saw him twitch. So I stopped to check on him. He was breathing so I put him into a box and took him to a vet. The vet said he was just in shock and gave him a shot of adrenaline. The vet told me to return him to where i had found him when he woke up.
So once he woke up, I took him back. I turned the box away from me, afraid he'd bite me. He slowly walked out and around the box, and sat at my feet. I kept telling him to go on home. He finally turned and went up a tree.
I swear he was telling me thanks. I was afraid of him then, but Im certain today he was trying to relay gratitude.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
When I walk around in our yard now the birds and squirrels don't move away or fly away.

My neighbors are nick naming me "Snow White" but the birds and squirrels know I feed them when the weather is cold and there is no food to be had and I would never hurt them......................they know.

And these are small mammals with the brain pan the size of a walnut.

I remember 30 years ago "scientist" / "experts" use to say "animals have no emotions, no feelings, no deep thought process.

Yes I agree they don't do math, although my dogs can calculate who gets the biggest piece of chicken down to a ml........but there, in my humble opinion, is more to those "animals" then we realize.

I talk to my dogs a lot so maybe they have picked up on the English language.

Swear when I tell them to do something, they do it.

I've had squirrels knocking on my back door when their feeder ran out, no joke so they can't be that stupid.

And it was a knock knock knock just like a human would make.

They also chatter to me.

I'm a simple person, and like animals because if they are mad at you they don't smile and blow kiss you. They bare their teeth, hiss, growl, or smile at you and show exactly what they are feeling.

No games, no agenda, except for that occasional whole wheat bread heal or Squirrelola.

They also appreciate and remember kindnesses unlike many humans.

Just my own experience and opinion.

my "fat squirrel" pictured a few months ago on ATS now has eight babies trailing after her.
edit on 14-5-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

You took the words out of my mouth (and then added a sh|t ton more), but the love thing is what I was thinking while reading the OP. Infact it reminded me of something that a contestant on the Tv show Survivor said while speaking about his wife of like 35 years he said

"We share a quantum entanglement."

I thought that was a perfect description of the binding nature of powerfull love and though he was, in this case, refering to romantic love I dont think it's limited to that.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Corinthians 13:8-13

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
One of the few stories here that actually was touching. Nice post.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join