It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trigger-Happy Cops: US police brutality covered up to save face

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You guys sure seem to have a lot of police brutality in the states. We do get a fair share in the UK, I've had my head smashed off of a police car roof and I've had excessive force used during restraint a fair few times but this is awful.

Some police let power get to their heads so much they actually become violent sociopaths. I'm guessing quite a few already were to start with.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Police brutality...

You know, we give these regular human beings a badge and a great power over their fellow humans. For the most part, they hold their positions in good standing but we can't expect perfection from people no more perfect than we are.

What is needed is more oversight... more places for the citizen to go to register complaints. But as these things happen... it usually happens that police brutality increases at the same time when funding for that oversight dries up, lol.

Yeah... the economy is in ruins and people are struggling at the same time states cut back on programs that oversee enforcement.

That works as long as it is only the people who get hurt. But... let a cop get a scratch and the the world comes down like a ton of bricks.

It's an uneven trade-off... nobody in any state legislature is going to vote money to watch underpaid, overworked cops... because that is just asking for a freaking headache.

edit on 13-5-2012 by redoubt because: edit

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The thing that messes with me is the bystander effect. Why is it when occupy, union, environmental activists, anybody with a sign and voice gets abused, everybody just shouts and screams but does nothing? (Bad run on sentance.) Their is a thing called citizens arrest, you can place police under such arrest. If that doesnt work, use non-lethal methods to protect yourself. I always cary mace on me in protests, that way if they shower me for no reason, I shower them in return. Yes, controversial to say the least, but hey, so are their (police) tactics.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Police brutality...

You know, we give these regular human beings a badge and a great power over their fellow humans. For the most part, they hold their positions in good standing but we can't expect perfection from people no more perfect than we are.

What is needed is more oversight... more places for the citizen to go to register complaints. But as these things happen... it usually happens that police brutality increases at the same time when funding for that oversight dries up, lol.

Yeah... the economy is in ruins and people are struggling at the same time states cut back on programs that oversee enforcement.

That works as long as it is only the people who get hurt. But... let a cop get a scratch and the the world comes down like a ton of bricks.

It's an uneven trade-off... nobody in any state legislature is going to vote money to watch underpaid, overworked cops... because that is just asking for a freaking headache.

One of the major problems when it comes to cases of police brutality is that police tend to stick together, partly due to the nature of the work at hand anyway.

But this means that in the heat of the moment, mistakes can be made, people can get hurt without reason, police can go too far and fellow 'Good' officers can end up feeling morally obligated to stick up for their partners.

Like you said it is this same with police as it is with citizens, only difference is police have the power.

And then there are just those sick puppies that are out there everywhere.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
When they begin a piece by saying that "George Zimmerman "gunned down" Trayvon Martin while carrying candy" you have to wonder how skewed their presentation might be.
I agree there should be strict guidelines for taser usage and that police should be held accountable for the deaths of civilians at their hands.
Far too often the police cover up the misdeeds of their fellow officers and bring shame on the entire profession in so doing. In my opinion they are not, "the enemy" and for the vast majority of the time work to protect the public in a very difficult job..

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yeah, why the hell was the zimmerman/Martin case even brought up in that piece? That report could have used literally thousands of better documented cases of police brutality. That was a really lazy report in my opinion. RT is pretty suspect to me.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
One thing is media rarely covers police violence so the average perso doesn't see it-- however, people that do-- like black guys in the ghetto who say "F**** the police!" are seen as 'thugs' but they are getting beat or see it.

Plus, most people IMO don't care UNTIL it happens to them or someone they know

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

First of all, how is the Martin case being attributed to police brutality when he was shot by a neighborhood watch volunteer?

Second, the police are allowed to force entry into a home without a warrant if they are in "fresh pursuit" of a fleeing suspect.

Third, how does an attorney from the National Action Network know if an officer was not trained for the position he was in? Was he a sworn police officer? How exactly was he not qualified for the position? If he was a sworn police officer, he is allowed to enforce the law. Why do they not provide any further details into this incident?

Fourth, what does it matter if someone is a veteran or not? Why do they not provide any further details into this incident?

Fifth, what overly aggressive policies is the talking head referring to?

Sixth, 500 deaths from tazer deployment since 2001? A more accurate statement may be 500 deaths AFTER tazer deployment since 2001. How many times have police deployed the taser in the United States over those 11 years? If we compare the number of deaths to the total number of deployments, we will get a more accurate statistic.

Seventh, every department has a clearly defined policy on the use of tasers. This policy is reviewed by the department's command, the state's attorney for that particular jurisdiction, taser inc, the National Institute of Justice and any politician who inquires about it. These policies are are constantly reviewed on all levels and refined when new information and circumstances arise. So, what exactly is the guy from Brooklyn College talking about?

Eighth, if the last statement by the reporter is true, then how would you explain the fact that in the beginning they reported that two police officers are standing trial for the beating death of an unarmed man? If police were so "well protected" against prosecution when they violate the law, how are police officers charged with crimes? I think the "protection" she is referring to is exaggerated.

Truthfully, all this "news" report offers is a few edited videos of police officers using force without providing any context whatsoever. Each case and all circumstances surrounding it need to be taken into consideration. The "news" report is simply attempting to play on your emotions without giving you any facts.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

One thing is media rarely covers police violence so the average perso doesn't see it-- however, people that do-- like black guys in the ghetto who say "F**** the police!" are seen as 'thugs' but they are getting beat or see it.

Plus, most people IMO don't care UNTIL it happens to them or someone they know

Really?

Type into a google news search "Police Brutality" and refine it to within the last month. You will get about 2,500 results.

Either the media rarely reports police violence or you just have not been paying attention.

The media regularly reports on alleged police misconduct because it sells.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
at the end of the day, we humans are a brutal and essentially primitive species. violence is a default setting for many, many people in a given circumstance. some of them are policemen, others are not. all of them are human. we continue to dwell on our differences when we should be celebrating our similarities. our counter-evolutionary modus operandi is going nowhere fast.
all that aside, i do feel that the instances of police overstepping their supposed legal (and moral) boundaries seem to be increasing.

the note at the end of humanitys' school report would read - 'MUST DO BETTER'.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

If they had started with "George Zimmerman shot Travon Martin while out buying skittles" would that have been better?

CJ

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Police brutality...

edit on 5/14/2012 by HardyWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

If they had started with "George Zimmerman shot Travon Martin while out buying skittles" would that have been better?

CJ

Both the thread and the video have titles about Police brutality.
So what do they have to do with the subject? - Nothing at all.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

What the hell is the George Zimmerman piece in there for?

Zimmerman was a guy, not a cop, that shot a 17 year old African American kid that was beating Zimmerman's head against the sidewalk because ZImmerman was following him to see if he was one of the people that had been robbing houses in the neighborhood lately.

Besides that.. yes police are insane here in the states and they are getting worse. Watch the largest street gang in America on youtube.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

No it would have been better if they didn't use it at all because George Zimmerman isn't a cop. Also he was justified in saving his own life that night. I hate talking about that case because people are so trained by the media. What the hell does having skittles have to do with ANYTHING. How about we say a a 17 year old with skittles was beating 28 year old Zimmerman's head against the concrete does the fact the teen had skittles somehow soften the blows Zimmerman's head took?

Is Jeffrey Dahme somehow less of a criminal if he washed his victims down with Yoohoo? I know Trayvon wasn't compareable but the idea is the same.. in tha case Trayvon was THE ONLY ONE that committed a crime. There is absolutely no proof to the contrary.
I don't get you guys..
edit on 14-5-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Mods have skittles.
Please don;t shoot me!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Police brutality...

It has nothing to do with being perfect. Did you even watch the video? It has more to do with common sense. You don't kick in some person's front door and shoot them in the chest when they are unarmed and standing in the bathroom. Things like that have nothing to do with "perfection". Adding to the problem is the fact that the Officer took a life and is not being held accountable for doing so which brings us to your next point...

It has ZERO to do with "funding". The problem is the only oversight there is, is done internally. Who Polices the Police? In the US it is other Police Officers who work for the same City. That's not a funding issue... it is what we call a clear conflict of interest.

There are not programs that oversee law enforcement. The only "program" is called The Internal Affairs Division. It is Police, who work for the same City as the offending Officer works for. We have entrusted Police to investigate and discipline their own, and they have betrayed that trust over and over and over again. If there was ANY type of outside oversight at all, we would live in a much different world.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Like the russians got a lot
of room to talk about american police brutality..
hypocrits...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The constant abuse of power is disgusting and seems to be getting worse. My theory is that because there are so many whistleblowers, and because every has a phone with hi-res camera with instant internet upload, cops are getting "blue balls" waiting for the right opportunity to pounce when they think no one is looking. Unfortunately, even when they let loose on a victim, they keep saying things like "quit resisting" or "stop fighting" and that seems to be all that they need to exonerate them. We, as a people, should develop our own phrase that instantly implies police brutality and illegal assault and battery. Something like "this is going on youtube"...

join