It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you met anyone that was against Gay Marriage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If so what was their reasoning behind this?

I am a centrist republican but I agree on the gay marriage thing with liberals, because well I am not religious at all. I am Agnostic. So, I think the majority of people against gay marriage would be fundamentalists? Are they just scared?

Anti-Gay Marriage people or people who have met one please respond. I don't want to know that you are against gay marriage and you don't know why its an issue. That's kinda pointless to post anyway.

If you feel the need to post something. Just say you have not met anyone against Gay marriage. That's all that is needed. I don't need to hear about your gay friends or your gay life or your gay marriage or anything that is somewhat off topic!
edit on 13-5-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
If so what was their reasoning behind this?

I am a centrist republican but I agree on the gay marriage thing with liberals, because well I am not religious at all. I am Agnostic. So, I think the majority of people against gay marriage would be fundamentalists? Are they just scared?

Anti-Gay Marriage people or people who have met one please respond. I don't want to know that you are against gay marriage and you don't know why its an issue. That's kinda pointless to post anyway.

I've met many, and each and every one of the people I've met who are against it are fundamentalists (who call themselves evangelicals). I try to tell them that it would make it legal, not mandatory, but they aren't comfortable with people loving one another, only with hating one another

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

I've met many, and each and every one of the people I've met who are against it are fundamentalists (who call themselves evangelicals). I try to tell them that it would make it legal, not mandatory, but they aren't comfortable with people loving one another, only with hating one another

That's not true exactly. My grandparents are anti-gay marriage because they are bible thumpers they love the jews and christians! As long as they are straight.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Whenever Gay Marriage is put to a vote by the people it loses.

You must not get out much, or hang out way too much with liberal judges.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Um, I think it only lost in North Carolina? Where were the other times its lost?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

That's not true exactly. My grandparents are anti-gay marriage because they are bible thumpers they love the jews and christians! As long as they are straight.

Guess I should have used different terms.
The terms "fundamentalists", "evangelicals" and "bible thumpers" all run together for me, so I just lump them all together. Not sure what the differences are and haven't really researched it. I suppose they would fall under the umbrella category I set up that I referred to as fundamentalists.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yes i have and there the most ignorant people you can meet. most of them think its sick that gay couples can adopt, because you know all gay people are pedos

#ing religion

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Um, I think it only lost in North Carolina? Where were the other times its lost?

Who gives a #?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The people I know who are anti-gay marriage are mainly homophobes (and they will openly admit it)
or very religious.
I always got a kick out of people claiming that marriage is a sacred vow between just man and woman, it is the sacred vow part that gets me more than anything else.

If marriage is so sacred,
then WHY are divorce rates so high?
Doesn't seem very sacred to me in the public's eyes if it is so easy to get a divorce.

Just my thoughts.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Its actually a good question to pose another person. Ask them what they truely think about this whole gay marriage thing. If they just say some random joke and dismiss the subject, meh, no strong opinion. If they are exceptionally opposed to it, then cool...at least you know who to not get to know much.

I mean, unless you want to feel more intelligent than someone, then sure, keep them around. morons are always a nice cheap ego boost.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have met many people who are against gay marriage. That kind of closed minded-ness warrants a wake up slap. I can't believe it in this day and age. You ask them ''how would it directly affect you if gay marriage becomes legal?'' No on has had a good answer to that yet. In the end I usually just get a defensive ''Well I don't want to see it''(this type of response is usually last ditch effort) Then I respond along the lines of..''1. you don't have to be married to show PDA. 2.I frankly don't want to see PDA. Gay, straight save it for your alone time''
I have gotten better answers but this ranks as 1. the most popular 2.the most retarded.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Only person I know who is actively opposed to gay marriage feels this way due to religious beliefs. I can respect that, even if I disagree with it.

Interesting enough, this same person is against divorce (but is divorced), doesn't believe in premaritial sex (but is involved in a sexual relationship and feels a need to tell everyone about it), fully accepts anyone elses' religion (unless they're Morman), and has this wierd need to tweak men's nipples.

So... the bottom line is, I could care less what he thinks.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

en.wikipedia.org...

Gay marriage has lost/been banned in states other than North Carolina.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I've met quite a few, mostly fundamentalists, evangelicals. These people (the ones I know) also hate anyone who is not a member of their "faith", Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Mormons, Pagans, Agnostics, the list goes on and on. Of course they don't say they "hate" them, they say they are "praying for them to be saved".

As far as the public vote is concerned I am confused. Polls say that the public is becoming more accepting of gay marriage. I think the latest poll was 53% in favor...I could be wrong about that, I am typing off the top of my head here trying to remember what I was reading earlier this morning. If that is so, then WHY is it voted down? IMO I smell a rat. It seems to me that in this case (as well as others) one cannot necessarily trust what we are being told. So it was voted downin NC but who over saw the counting of the votes? If TPTB want the outcome to be a certain way, certainly they can make the numbers come out any way they want them to, who's to know?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Just 30 other states. The only state where it passed by a vote of the people was Arizona, and that was just to allow the state to recognize Same-Sex marriages from other states...did not allow same sex marriage in the state itself.

Since 1998: 59,088713 people have voted on this issue 34,514,361 have voted against it. That is 58.5% of the population opposing it.

Like I said before, you must not get out much.

edit on 13-5-2012 by Carseller4 because: link

link   
Met one person who was anti.

She was more than happy to share her reasons with me.

They ranged from bible quotations to a massive conspiracy involving the UN, communists and global domination.

In short I'd summize her objection as simple insanity.

Now, I've met a lot of people who claimed to be anti but when posed with the simple question "how does it affect your life?" they immediately took the position of not caring.

I often wonder how many alleged "strong beliefs" are just people playing the role they feel is expected of them because nine times out ten a short back and forth brings out the libertarian in almost anyone.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
Actually, yes I have met someone who is opposed to gay marriage. I asked him this morning after reading this thread if he dislikes gay marriage. The man in the mirror said he does. I was so appalled at his insensitivity and ignorance it made me cry, thinking about all the poor men in assless chaps who cannot marry in a church or chapel. It breaks my heart.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There are several threads devoted to the day marriage issue:
The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage

The Same-Sex Marriage line is drawn. What do you think?

Is Same Sex Marriage A Government Or Religious Issue? How Do We Untie This Knot?

A possible motive for the Gay-Marriage craze lately...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussions in the above linked threads.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join