It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Saturday Night Live’ features Time magazine’s breastfeeding cover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
‘Saturday Night Live’ features Time magazine’s breastfeeding cover

“Really, Time magazine, this is the image you went with for Mother’s Day? Look, I have nothing against breastfeeding, but there are more appropriate places to breastfeed your kid than on the cover of Time magazine. Like page 3 of Time magazine or like, not in a magazine at all. Really? … Time, don’t get me wrong, I know you have to do what it takes to sell magazines, and that’s a good cover. But if you wanted a great cover, you would have PhotoShopped out the chair.”

Cover photographer Martin Schoeller says his approach was inspired by religious imagery of Madonna and Child, but Washington Post style writer Maura Judkis says “this cover gets its power from the confrontational way that both [mother Jamie] Grumet and her son, Aram, are looking directly at the viewer.”

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

They should have had Salma Hayek as the mom... now that would have been an attention grabber...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
inspired by Madonna & child??? so Jesus was suckling at 4 years old??? no other species or animals lets their young suckle for 4 years. give me a break!

if anything its inspired by their own pedophaeliac ways of lusting after children.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I find far more offense in a 300 lb person showing Big Macs down their necks than a woman breastfeeding a baby in public. Appropriate??? A mother feeding her infant could never be inappropriate.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nurelic

They should have had Salma Hayek as the mom... now that would have been an attention grabber...

Or Betty White and Pee Wee Herman,,,,,,,,

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by Nurelic

Or Betty White and Pee Wee Herman,,,,,,,,

That would be a nightmarish sight beyond belief...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinman67
I find far more offense in a 300 lb person showing Big Macs down their necks than a woman breastfeeding a baby in public. Appropriate??? A mother feeding her infant could never be inappropriate.

True. But, this is a 3-year old on the cover of Time magazine.

It's a little different.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by infowarrior9970
inspired by Madonna & child??? so Jesus was suckling at 4 years old??? no other species or animals lets their young suckle for 4 years. give me a break!

if anything its inspired by their own pedophaeliac ways of lusting after children.

Actually, Jesus probably did.
voices.yahoo.com...

Extended breast feeding is very common around the world. It's not common in the western world because people are idiots about boobs. Boobs are for babies, that's it. It's not a big deal. I can't even believe this merits a discussion considering how few women in the U.S. even breastfeed. You are lucky to get a woman to breast feed to 3 months let alone 3 years. (the kid is 3 not 4)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

Uhh, not quite an infant there. @first I thought who is the lucky "little person", then it was "oh God!!" Not for me thanks...

I'm sure it's not pedo-inspired though, just mega-devoted individuals with hearts in the right place.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Boobs are for babies, that's it

I respectfully disagree.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I respectfully edit myself at this point to say that breastfeeding does have a ending point. I would say Mom is enjoying the "shock" value and is an attention seeker. Kinda gives the term "belly up to the bar" a whole new meaning.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by maxella1
reply to post by antonia

I respectfully disagree.

+2

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I just love how we all know what is best for everyone else.

Moral pushing is still going strong, which I might add is why we are in such a mess with the world right now.

"Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone."
-Billy Joel

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
I just love how we all know what is best for everyone else.

Moral pushing is still going strong, which I might add is why we are in such a mess with the world right now.

"Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone."
-Billy Joel

if this photo was actually about BREASTFEEDING ... then mother & child would be staring at each other...NOT at the camera. and the title of this photo "Are you Mother Enough?" is just plain offensive.
edit on 13-5-2012 by infowarrior9970 because: grammar police might arrest me!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by infowarrior9970

Offensive to YOU.

That's the point I was trying to make, just because one finds something bad doesn't mean everyone does. Nor does it mean that the one has a right to make everyone suffer, because of their morals.

If you do not like the cover, well I am sorry but too bad. Just because you find it offensive, doesn't mean they shouldn't print it. I mean, are they supposed to run all their covers by you to make sure they aren't offensive first? Maybe not just you, but everyone should get a preview of the cover! That way we can all get mad before it is a cover, and we will see threads like:

OMG Did you see that proposed cover, I can't believe it TIME is the DEVIL!

Seriously, go ahead with your own life leave me alone.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
My fav part was when they photoshopped
the chair out and the kid looks like he is just
hanging there by a..

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

I respectfully disagree.

your attraction to breasts either comes from breast feeding issues, and a fixation on your moms breasts (eww) or a simple reproductive urge to mate with a female whose ability to nurse gives you confidence your offspring will survive

by breast feeding

lol

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

reply to post by antonia

I respectfully disagree.

your attraction to breasts either comes from breast feeding issues, and a fixation on your moms breasts (eww) or a simple reproductive urge to mate with a female whose ability to nurse gives you confidence your offspring will survive

by breast feeding

lol

Makes sense.. This is why ATS is better than a psychologist.
I come here for free therapy, and I get it every time .

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
That magazine cover is being discussed here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join