It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My grandparents are going on the no-fly list. What a joke!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
My grandma was just telling us how she went to renew her and her husband's license. She went to the DMV, bringing her marriage licenses and any other info she had. She needed the license because like many from the 1950's era, she changed her name to her husband's last name when she married. They have a marriage license from the state of New York and from the synagogue where they were married. All original documents dating back to the 1950's. But she was told that these documents were not "official enough" and wouldn't pass through new policy. There wasn't an issue for years and now all of a sudden there is. I've seen the documents, they look pretty official to me. Apparently this is a new policy to deal with people who fraudulently change their names.

She was able to renew their licenses but they are going to go on the no-fly list (and no Amtrak list) as of 2014 because of this policy. Now she might write to New York and have them issue her a new marriage certificate or find a "more official" older one. But the fact is, she's not sure because it's a big hassle and not sure if she's going to travel. 

This is very troublesome because I'm sure we're not the only ones dealing with this and many others might opt to just not get more official documents. My grandparents are not terrorists and are textbook Americans. My grandpa served during the Korean war and my grandma stayed home to raise kids. They were both born and raised in America. So what do you think, ATS? Have you heard of this before and what is your reaction?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I really feel for your grandparents.I think that this is just
the begining of what people will be facing soon.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

my mom and dad took a cruise to alaska last fall..they were hassled too. my mom didn't have an original copy of birth only a copy. the state went looking for her original and couldn't find it..because the hospital were she was born.(an old country hospital)burnt down in the early 60s..the original burned along with it..

it took her an extra 8 weeks to locate enough witnesses and paper work to get on the cruise..to ANOTHER STATE!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Most of the problem lies w/ the way the system used to operate. Common Law marriages, people changing their names because they just wanted to, heck even social security once allowed people to use nicknames.
Birth certificates, marriage licenses, divorce decrees and such are important documents. I'll bet a majority of folks don't even know where their vehicle titles are.
I really think some confusion or misunderstanding has arisen on your Grandmothers part. Not having a certified marriage license does not mean inclusion on the "no flight" list. If it did half of the population would be on it.
A license or state/federal id should only be issued if one can prove they are who they say they are and that the have legally changed their names. It's not a perfect system, but what else can one do? What goes for one has to go for all.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My dad was born at home in 1931 he only had a baptismal certificate. He had to jump through so many hoops just to get his social security. I think he's officially legal now not sure.

After 30 years at US Steel and a stint with the 82nd airborne he was still scrutinized. It was the blood sweat and tears of those older generations that built our infrastructure now they're little more than throw away, disregarded people. How sad for your grammy and grampy.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
you say they aren't terrorists

all it takes is one granny packing c-4 to get on a plane becuase the screeners felt sorry for her and a lot of people die

deal with it

j/k

but beurocracy is a tricky thing isn't it. it's very hard to prove who you are beyond the shadow of a doubt. I have my families original BC's in our fireproof important files box, and they are the first thing I would grab (after the people of course) in a crises because if you lose your ID in this modern age, you are in for a major uphill climb

hope they work it out

top topics

join