It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guys, im desperate, any advice for daughters' very heavy and painful periods?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Sympathies for your daughter. Keep pushing for a gyno. A diagnostic laproscopy (band-aid surgery) will diagnose if its endometriosis.

I was diagnosed at age 13. Repeat ovarian cysts, did the Pill to shrink the cysts, till finally after taking it out with the dr, we came off the pill and let a cyst enlarge, insurance wouldn't pay till it was 5cm, it nearly ruptured and made me septic. But it got the first laproscopy for diagnosis. I was stage 3 out of 5 endometriosis. Then came the discussion if I were wanting to have children I needed to start then, cause would be barren by 19. Which I was never able to concieve, many times I should have been. Subsequently, had laser surgery every 2-3 years for 15 years. Had one boss who just didn't believe I was in that much pain each month to leave work early or scheduled days off around my period. Till I was made to prove to him, when I left to got to the dr office for Toradol shots and get directly home. He made me stay at work, so i made a deal with him, next cycle I'd stay, but if he didn't believe me I got the rest of the week off with pay for having endured the worse at his place of business. Needless to say I won and he never doubted how horrific it really was, cause he drove me home, made me tea, got my meds, and then left me the heck alone for 4 days. Begged for hysterectomy from age 18, until 31. And dang it they did a partial. The endometrial tissue still fed from the ovaries every month, bleeding and scarring and adhering all my lower organs. Intestinal resection, colon lesions removed. Was unable to do any kind of exercise because of the fusions. Two years after the hysterectomy, still being monthly symptomatic, finally ovaries removed. OMG, I got my body and my mind back!!!! I am now childless but no regrets. No period no ovaries, no hormone replacement, thats important, menopause after surgery was done in 8 weeks, no symptoms ever again.
Please make imformed decisions and ones that are right for your daughter. I remember how helpless my mother and ex husband were. But I hope she finds relief. Many prayers for her cause it ain't easy being me.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Thankyou to all of you who have given advice, its realy nice to know people care, on the whole, we 're a good site, i think.. Sorry i havnt responded for a while, but being in work and stuff has prevented it. Once more,thanks

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

There was a time when I went through hell every time the painters came calling. Deep depression, crying without knowing why, heavy backpain and cramps.

My local health shop recommended Magnesium, which I started taking religiously. I was utterly amazed to find that within the 2nd arrival of my menstruation, ALL the bad symptoms were gone.

I used it for about 4 months and then stopped. The problem never came back.

Please speak to your healthshop about it, see what they say about magnesium and then try it for her? Healthshops often have better quality products than local drugstores.

Hope it helps!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
As I'm sure some have said she could have endometriosis.

I have it and so does my twin sister. It is very painful. I'm 33 and still get painful ones. I do not wish it on anyone. It has caused me many problems esp in employment. They don't consider bad cramps a real reason not to come into work. What they dont realize is that you are doubled over in pain white as a ghost and throwing up. I get very sick because of the pain and it isn't fun. I can definitely feel your daughters pain. *hugs* to her.

Hope she finds comfort

Along with the endometriosis, check for cysts on the uterus or ovaries. I get some really big ones on my ovaries, particularly my right. They usually go away by the time my period starts, but I've been warned, there will come a time where they won't go away I will have to have my ovaries removed. Just another thing to check just in case.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I forgot to mention. My friend gets cramps like I do and she uses Tylenol Arthritis. I was shocked because I never would have tried that. I haven't found anything that I can mention on here that really works. I read the bottle of Tylenol Arthritis and it mentions menstrual cramps. I will try them myself next go round of aunt flo.
I know she gets very sick as well so knowing these help her I'm hoping they help me some.

Another thing that helps me is a hot bath. I know for many that doesn't help all that much but for me a bath or hot shower has always helped me when I felt sick no matter if it was cramps or not.

Over the counter pain patches the heat up work good too. You rip open the package, snap it or crinkle it, and it heats up, instead of placing it on the back, I would suggest placing it on the abdomen to ease period pain. I do this with my daughter. Depending on the size of the patches you pay either $5 for one large back patch (worth every penny) or I think $5 or two medium. This does work in conjunction with 2 midol and rest.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
Another disorder which can cause extremely heavy periods and outrageously painful cramps is PCOS: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is treatable with medicine and diet. The diet is similar to what a diabetic would require - low/controlled carbohydrates. (~ Is she diabetic? The disorders can sometimes go hand in hand). The medical treatment for PCOS sometimes includes birth control pills, but there are other medical approaches and the dosages may be different than plain old birth control because it's a different use of the hormones. In other words, she may tolerate treatment for PCOS better than the birth control pills which made her moody.

Polycystic Ovarian syndrome is diagnosed by performing an ultrasound of the ovaries.

My daughter is now being tested for diabetes. They running a three month red blood cell test on her because every time they run a regular morning blood sugar test on her (even with drinking and eating nothing) the sugar panels are too high. The doctor recommended the red blood cell 3 month test instead because it's a more thorough test and can give them more accurate results. I always worry taking her to the doctors because everytime I turn around it's something new she's coming home with. First it was missing part of her brain, then it was autism, then it was epilepsy, now it might be diabetes, and it also might be her father's blood clot disorder. Between off all this medical drama, I have to find residential placement for her that will be able to handle to medical.
I severely worry for her.......

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Well, depravera (sp) shots might help, it is only once every 3 to 6 months, and pretty much eliminated my x's heavy flow/pms cramps.

I can understand not wanting to do them, but I saw how effective it was, so that might be something to look into at least.

*face palms himself for even looking in this thread*

Be careful though. Depo doesn't work for every body. I took depo according to instructions religiously and got pregnant twice. First one I miscarried, second one is my daughter. She was almost a stillbirth.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Musta been typo night.
It should have read.....

I too as a male am sorry to hear of the monthly pain some unfortunate girls seem to be confronted with. My ex also said that "The Pill" was the only thing that really helped her. There are apparently different Pills or at least with different doses from what I can remember, if not actual "ingredients".

Maybe I need a syntax check along with a spell check? The right typo in the wrong place just jangles loudly!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just an update guys, we recieved a medication from the doctor called tranexamic acid, its used to decrease blood loss (especially after surgery), the big day came last sunday, she took the pill daily, we have seen a substantial decrease in blood loss, also the period has lasted 5 days instead of 11. She has been so happy its been a delight to watch her, and we didnt have to resort to the contraception pill.
Big thanks to all that gave and advice.
and cosmic egg.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
I forgot to mention, shes tried a few contraceptive pills, they affect her moods greatly, they make her severly depressed and moody, so there no good.

same thing happens to my gf.. sh# got real hectic around that time! LOL! Had to get her off em, reason she took it was to help clear her skin up, not because of period pain. So sorry I can't help you with a solution hope it gets better soon!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Full on hysterectomy.
My wife had the same problem years back, she finally got cancer and got this proceedure done.
Other than hot flashes from time to time, she is right as rain.
However at a young age this might make problems with the whole Motherhood thing and all but...
If the pain and problem are that bad, I never suggest big pharma solutions as they tend to make tenfold in problems.
Maybe just get a second or third opinion as not all doctors know how to doc.
Best of luck.

(Edit)
And speaking of which, Happy Mommies day!
edit on 13-5-2012 by g146541 because: Mom

And one day I PROMISE to start reading dates of posts BEFORE I reply to them.....

Carry on folks. Nothing to see here.

edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm going to be pretty specific here. If you don't like the topic, I suggest skipping my post.

I am happy to tell you that I actually do have some advice for you here. Assuming that she's been in to the doctors and seen if she has fibroids, or cysts first of course.

This is called dysfunctional uterine bleeding, and maybe specifically mennorhagia.

The most difficult thing about heavy bleeding is that it can make life a bit difficult with flooding and whatnot.

I suggest using a Diva Cup or some other similar product. This will allow her to actually track how much bleeding fairly accurately, and is more effective than most other products even if you have to empty it more often. Tracking the amount of blood over the given amount of time makes a discussion with a doctor easier when you can actually tell them how much bleeding there is they are more likely to take you seriously. It also contains the flow much better.

Some people have noticed that some women are reacting to some chemical in menstruation products. It can take a couple of months to get out of your system, but some women with problems have noticed that after they stop using those products that their symptoms improve.

So that's a latex cup, and cloth pads. I have no interests in this company, but know their products are excellent. There are other similar companies, and several WAHM (work at home mom) who sell them.
lunapads.com...

I would suggest she try increasing her Vitamin K3 intake, and her Vitamin A intake. I'd use a natural one, as this gets around all the worries people have about Vitamin A. Start with above the RDA (which is ridiculously low) and increase until the bleeding goes down. Women with mennorhagia that find this works for them are usually taking FAR more than the recommended amount, though some of them don't increase their dosage until the week before their menses start.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join