It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eye of Horus is actually an early math system?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
So I never knew this and thought it was interesting. I always thought the eye of Horus was just a piece of art

The Eye of Horus is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power and good health. The eye is personified in the goddess Wadjet

One of the most puzzling episodes in the history of human thought is the 2000-year reign of Egyptian unit fractions. We can, at least in part, reconstruct the arithmetical manipulations involved, but the underlying reason or motive for expressing fractional quantities as sums of unit fractions remains mysterious. Was it simply a cumbersome style of writing that persisted for so many centuries just out of deference to traditional forms, or did it express an actual way of thinking that has since been forgotten?

www.mathpages.com...

Each of the sacred unit fractions which the ancient Egyptians attributed to the six parts of the eye of the god Horus: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64. These fractions, all with powers of two in their denominators, were used to represent the fractions of hekat, the unit measure of capacity for grains. According to a legend, the pieces were lost in a battle, and restored by the god Thoth.

mathworld.wolfram.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Overall the most plausible explanation for the ancient fixation on unit fractions seems to be that they had difficulty conceiving of a single quantity in terms of two variables (numerator and denominator), and were looking for simple "whole" fractional quantities. Just as the "whole" natural numbers are those of the form n/1, it was natural to imagine that the "whole" fractional numbers are of the form 1/n.

Here's an actual example of the eye-part symbols in written use.

edit on 13-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Not a math problem, per se, but perhaps a mnemonic. Star and flag for posting something about Ancient Egypt that is actually true.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

one at one as whole,
one at one as pieces of the whole,
the beauty is its simplicity,
we use a dot, they used devine fractions

xploder

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Not a math problem, per se, but perhaps a mnemonic. Star and flag for posting something about Ancient Egypt that is actually true.

Yes mnemonic is probably the most accurate term, I agree.

The people who created the structures which many of these icons are depicted upon were mathematical geniuses. More so than most modern people are today, by a long shot.

Do you remember the interesting information about the discovery that the ancient Egyptians knew about and used the meter measurement?
You all gotta watch this documentary, it was very hard hitting.
Mind blowing.

"The Revelation Of The Pyramids"

edit on 13-5-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
You know what this reveals to me?

That we "modern humans" actually do not know very much at all.
A few dozen great inventors created everything we use today and we take it all for granted.

We are grossly ignorant of the most basic and simple realizations.
We don't even understand our own biological nature, much less our history thousands of years ago.

The only thing I know for certain, is that we don't have the slightest clue.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
You know what this reveals to me?

That we "modern humans" actually do not know very much at all.
A few dozen great inventors created everything we use today and we take it all for granted.

We are grossly ignorant of the most basic and simple realizations.
We don't even understand our own biological nature, much less our history thousands of years ago.

The only thing I know for certain, is that we don't have the slightest clue.

the wisest thing a man may know is that he knows nothing (open not empty)
and has yet all to learn (again)

xploder

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Egyptian math is very interesting. In and of itself it can make one wonder about the whole "ancient alien" idea. Can you imagine the intelligence it takes to invent something like a math system, kind of like an ancient Newton.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

We do not need ancient aliens, the human brain is more than capable.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

We do not need ancient aliens, the human brain is more than capable.

Doesn't really matter what we "need", it only matters "what actually happened".

And fact of the matter is, no one actually knows what happened. We all pretend and elicit fantastical images in our minds in the attempt to know.
But we cannot possibly know, we can only imagine.

What are the limits to imagination?
What are the limits to ignorance?

I have researched this topic for years, asked countless questions, sought many expert opinions and questioned those too. I still learn more everyday, a lot more.
These are some real legit mysteries.

There are many hard questions that have not been sufficiently answered yet.

I am open to all sorts of possibilities and hypothesis. But know that none of them are solid, none are fully backed, many remain on the table in juxtaposition after significant debates.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
oh my..

i just realized there is the golden ration embedded in the eye of horus...

how come the Egyptians knew about that

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I do know that humans are capable of creating new complex forms of math because they do it in modern times. Ancient humans were the same species as us with the same brain capabilities.

The first video in my previous post, the guy started seeing complex mathematical equations everywhere he looked after a brain injury. The second guy was born a savant and can solve equations without thinking about them, they just appear to him. That alone shows that the human brain has the capabilities to create and understand complex math without alien intervention.

Animals even posses the ability to comprehend basic math.

The evolution of mathematics might be seen as an ever-increasing series of abstractions, or alternatively an expansion of subject matter. The first abstraction, which is shared by many animals,[14] was probably that of numbers: the realization that a collection of two apples and a collection of two oranges (for example) have something in common, namely quantity of their members.

In addition to recognizing how to count physical objects, prehistoric peoples also recognized how to count abstract quantities, like time – days, seasons, years.[15] Elementary arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) naturally followed.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm not saying that ancient aliens didn't visit Earth, but there is no proof and there is multiple forms of evidence that we posses the natural brain power to create and understand math on our own.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Check out Carl Munck and you will find lots of more of this:

I I remember correctly he has (among a lot of other info) also found a way to calculate pi way easier.

Anyway, interesting to watch.

Theatrical Introduction: The Code: By Carl Munck -

Hour-Long Carl Munck Video #1: Carl Munck - The Code - YouTube

Hour-Long Carl Munck Video #2: The Code by Carl Munck Part2 - YouTube

Hour-Long Carl Munck Video #3: The Code 2000 by Carl Munck Part 3 - YouTube

edit on 13-5-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Apparently we can find that golden number everywhere throughout these artifacts.
And Pi.

Mainstream archaeology has previously claimed that they couldn't possibly have known of these concepts, or that if they did, they certainly never wrote it down. There is no evidence that I know of, other than through analysis of the artifacts themselves, that they actually knew about this.

I have a hunch that we are going to learn a whole lot more about these things in the coming years. I cannot await what further discoveries will be brought to light.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

i just realized there is the golden ration embedded in the eye of horus... how come the Egyptians knew about that
reply to post by heineken

They must have been Nspired by shells from the Mediterranean Sea. The question we should be asking is why in modern times do we take God's handy work for granted without analyzing it in a similar manner? Maybe its just easier to find our mathematical answers on a predigested digital liquid crystal display.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
To clarify my previous statements, I do not personally subscribe to the "ancient alien" line of thinking. This is why I mentioned Newton, an individual who invented a whole new science and theory with just his own will and reason.

I am awed at what the human mind is capable of if we just try to open it up and think beyond the norm. It's our fear of ridicule or just flat out being wrong that holds us back.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Yea, humans are the greatest thing in the universe.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NewerBeing

Are you trying to imply that I think that? Because I stated the fact that humans and many other animals are born with the capabilities to understand basic mathematical concepts?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Ok this is the real question, did he invent a math system or discover it? Considering math has always existed. Patterns can be found in anything and sometimes we give the wrong meaning to them. It may have just been an art technique to draw the symbol consistant.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I remember reading something about that years ago in a book about ancient Egyptian magic. Its amazing how U shaped behavior is reflected on not only a scale of personal basis but also species wide. I'm still watching the videos, and enjoying them immensely. Star and flag OP for a subject near and dear to my heart, and helping me to learn something new!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

a whole new science and theory with just his own will and reason

or maybe he had some "knowledge" of all this ancient stuff und just rewrote it...
edit on 13-5-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join