It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

943 Yard Mountain Goat shot!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre

Originally posted by butcherguy

We should start by executing all felines. They kill for sport and the domesticated varieties show pride in their kills(according to cat owners) by putting their kills where their owners can find them.

That is not showing pride in their kills, and any cat owner who has said that has no real knowledge of cats. When cats kill they bring it their owners so that they can have their share first, just like female lions will bring down prey then let the male lion eat first. It is not an act of pride it is an act of taking care of their owner.

Granted most owners are not gonna grab that bird or mouse and take a bite out of it, but once the owner acknowledges the gift and that they are not hungry for it right now the cat will then fell comfortable eating it themselves.
Hmmm. That doesn't seem to take various cat personalities into account. Kind of lumping them into one category, saying that they are all the same when it comes to sharing the kill. I had a cat as a child that didn't offer his kills, just gobbled them up right away.
I had a dog(Springer Spaniel) that killed and ate just about anything he could corner and catch, the list included newborn pigs, snakes, woodchucks, rats, frogs and on two occasions...cats. On the other hand, my Uncle had a Springer/Bassett mix that would not even kill, he would go hunting and return with baby rabbits and birds, all slobbered up, but uninjured... very much alive.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

or starve.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ some of you:::

The Eco system is a fine balance of management particularly those set up by Teddy Roosevelt. Where man has interfered with natural predatory food chain such as wolves and bears. Its a fine balance and strict management is implemented in areas such as Eastern Oregon, likely to be the place in this video.

Love to watch a good sniper team work....300 or.338 winchester mag at least, a 308 could have been used, these guys were skilled but I doubt it. my guess is a .338]
edit on 14-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

its not Disney World out there is it?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by butcherguy

its not Disney World out there is it?

Indeed, it is not!

Dogs are all cute and fluffy until they kill and eat you.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
I have faith in humanity again. I'm glad to see most of the people are showing compassion for the goat within the comments.

I highly doubt the guy ate it....sooo I'm going to say
Killing things for sport is repulsive.

Bragging about killing anything (even if you do eat it), as if it is something to be proud of, is even more repulsive.

edit on 13-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

You are so wrong, it's important to feel pride that comes naturally from the kill, as opposed to disrespect.

Whether bragging about it is disrespectful is a grey area!
Yet I couldn't see any bragging apart from what naturally comes from the male hunter.
I suspect .338 Lapua maybe?
Some folks on here need to man up a bit I think...

edit on 14-5-2012 by WatchRider because: addition

edit on 14-5-2012 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlm912

Originally posted by jiggerj
And the answer to your puzzle is for everyone to go back to when the life expectancy was 30 years by eating natural foods? Well, actually, that would solve the population problem.

Seems pretty illogical to say the shorter life-expectancy was due to natural diet. More than likely due to worse living conditions, poor availability of proper sterilization of wounds, lack of antibiotics, etc. If human over-population is the problem, then what's the problem for survivalists looking forward to a shtf event? Wouldn't such an event lower average life expectancy anyways, and in turn solve the problem you have with our numbers?

What if the S doesn't htf? Then 8 billion, 15 billion, 30 billion...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

And the answer to your puzzle is for everyone to go back to when the life expectancy was 30 years by eating natural foods? Well, actually, that would solve the population problem.

, then what's the problem for survivalists looking forward to a shtf event?

The idea is not to be a survivor of a global catastrophe, it's to do everything in our power to protect the planet. What good is surviving if the world is blasted to hell in a nuclear war? Or, if the entire world is poisoned (as it now) through the stupidity of thinking we can control nuclear energy? Or, if the global economy crashes and leaves store shelves empty, to the point where 7 billion people rush into the woods to kill and eat everything in sight?

We say that animals are overpopulating an area, well, when more and more houses go up, then those fewer animals will be overpopulating the area left for them. Then more and more houses go up...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yep, don't get me started on the stupid housing going up everywhere.
There used to places around me that had acres of places for kids to run and play in.
All full of housing and it can only get more crowded...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Seems pretty illogical to say the shorter life-expectancy was due to natural diet. More than likely due to worse living conditions, poor availability of proper sterilization of wounds, lack of antibiotics, etc. If human over-population is the problem, then what's the problem for survivalists looking forward to a shtf event? Wouldn't such an event lower average life expectancy anyways, and in turn solve the problem you have with our numbers?

What if the S doesn't htf? Then 8 billion, 15 billion, 30 billion...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
reply to post by jiggerj

There used to places around me that had acres of places for kids to run and play in.

Used to be a forest behind my elementary school. I took my kids there. Gone. So, I took them to the woods at the end of the street I lived on as a kid. Gone.

And, I played a role in raping the woods of New Hampshire.when I went into construction. The 1980's housing boom was incredible.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Some folks treat their pets like family. This is great for a lonely soul or some form of companionship, but the way I see it, if you take this mentality and use it to advocate animal rights, you might as well go up to a Grizzly Bear and try to pet it.

To be clear, uncounted pet owners will go to any expense to save a pet or prolong it's life.

How many people here have spent thousands of dollars on pet care, surgeries and home nursing, just to have the suffering pet die anyway?

As an advocate of not allowing animals to suffer, would it not be more a show of kindness to put down an aging feline or canine with a bullet to the head rather than prolonging the suffering with useless surgeries and such?

What is the real humane thing to do?

Although opine and open for debate, I for one would do the right thing and end the misery with a swift, painless and cost effective gunshot.

(just don't do it as a 'family event'. Leave the kids out of this necessary evil.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Used to be a forest behind my elementary school. I took my kids there. Gone. So, I took them to the woods at the end of the street I lived on as a kid. Gone.

And, I played a role in raping the woods of New Hampshire.when I went into construction. The 1980's housing boom was incredible.

I wrote about the development of land that was a sanctuary for us as kids. I understand where you are coming from.

By the way, Walter Matthou was one hell-of-a actor.
edit on 15-5-2012 by imd12c4funn because: typo

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

are there subdivisions where the Woods used to be, at the end of your street, behind the elementary school?
if so is population to blame? Do you then feel guilty with your children, in this overpopulated land?

Of course you do not. Your story is not unlike any story told where there was progress.
That's the way it goes...
Take the mellow drama out of your post and its the same story your grandfather told.
The big blue marble could look a lot worse, a lot lot worse.
In 30 years you can take your grand kids or even great grand kids to a fully replanted mature Forest which had been select cut. And you will marvel at how we learned from mistakes of the past.

one has no farther to look than the story of The Great Dust Bowl and lessons learned from good crop management

edit on 15-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The US has some of the best public lands in the world. And the reason is that hunters pay for it. Duck hunters alone have conserved far more wetlands than the EPA ever hoped to. And the rebound of migratory birds has been caused almost completely by the efforts of hunters' federations, who forced the Feds to do something for the sake of future generations.

Likewise with deer habitat in the US. In my state, the federal lands are never in as good a shape as the state parks, because the state parks are funded by every hunter in the state. And most hunting on private land takes place where the owner is constantly trying to improve the habitat and nutrition for deer, so as to attract more hunters. Populations are up nationwide, and it is the horrible rotten dirty capitalists that have made it happen.

But you'll never hear that from the pavement dwellers.

Vegans and environmentalists rarely if ever venture out to where the asphalt ends; they even more rarely take a biology class. Most of them (just look at this thread), assume that natural herd populations are inherently stable if they are not influenced by humans.

Yet they are sure that anyone who doesn't share their views is "unevolved."

Notice how often they focus on the hunter's attitude. That's because they are projecting their own feelings of guilt and alienation on the hunter. They cannot admit that they are estranged from the "real world" of nature, and so they resent anyone who actually does have a positive relationship with the earth.

They are irritated that anyone would take pride in the excellence of his own accomplishments. They find the idea that anyone would enjoy the challenge of hunting to be maddening.

There's definitely some Freudian stuff going on there.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Nice post!
You never hear much from the Eco-nuts about the destruction of the tundra in Canada by the overpopulation of snow geese.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ringlejames

Dey Took Er Jeeeeeeeoooooooooobbbbbbs!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am a hunter, and make no apologies for it. Some people are,some are not and that is just fine. I don't know why,but hunting has been in my blood since my earliest memories. My dad didn't hunt, nor any close relatives,so it's not something that I was raised with. It's an instinctual thing, some people have it and some don't. One of my brothers enjoys hunting once in a while,the other couldn't be bothered.

Non-hunters tend to think of hunters as blood thirsty savages who just want to kill.While those people certainly do exist,and many are not hunters, that is not what most hard core hunters are like. Killing is easy.Finding any random animal and killing it is not a difficult task. If that's all huntes wanted to do, we'd just go out and kill whateve rwas easiest to get at. That is not what we do. I pass up many,many more animals than I ever shoot. I am a trophy hunter,or what you would call a sport hunter. I eat what I shoot, but thats not the only reason I hunt. I hunt because I love the game. A mature old whitetail buck is an incredibly difficult animal to kill,especially with a bow, which is my usual weapon of choice.In fact, I have hunted for many years and have yet to take a big mature whitetail buck with my bow. I have taken does and smaller bucks, but a big buck is a totally different creature.They are switched on ALL the time, their senses are almost beyond belief, and you cannot afford to make one mistake if you want to make the kill.That's what I love about hunting,the chess match of my reasoning and thought processing vs his superb senses,instincts and physical capabilities. Did you know that,at 30 yards, that whitetail can hear my bowstring and duck my arrow,travelling at 280fps? I can be perfect and at the moment of truth,he can still duck my arrow if he hears my bow and reacts instantly.How cool is that?

As someone already stated,hunters do more to protect animals and animal habitat than anyone else. Sure,we have our motives, but we have no desire to see animals wiped out. We had a very rough winter here last year, and our deer population was devastated. I went out hunting but decided the population was just not healthy enough in this area to justify me removing a potential breeding animal. This year was much better,but I think I'll give them at least one more year before hunting in this area.

As far as hunting as a survival skill, I think it can't hurt to have that in your bag. You may never need it, but if you do it could be a life saver. I know I went through a rough financial period where I was very grateful for the deer meat in my freezer, and I'm glad I know how to get more if need be.Besides,looking at the meat at the grocery store, I feel alot better harvesting and processing my own. Tomorrow I'll be taking my bow out after bear, I've got pictures of a big one that I'm going to try for. Likely he'll be too clever,he doesn't show himself much in daylight, but if my plan works out I may just get a shot at him.Either way,its going to be fun,even if I see nothing. That's the great thing about hunting;you can sit in the woods all day,see nothng but squirrels,birds,maybe a doe or two, and go home having had a great,relaxing day. Hell, some days you don't shoot simply because your having too much fun just watching and relaxing,and you don't want to ruin it by having to do all the work necessary when you actually shoot something.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join