It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Near Earth Astroid posted on Space Weather just in time for May 13th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm not sure how often some of you check space weather but for some reason I woke up and felt the need to check my ATS and SW.

It seems they just updated the NEA list with one that's 0.5 LD and also passing by on may 13th. Now, this is not a doom and gloom thread but since it wast not posted earlier and it's passing on may 13th would that just mean that they just now discovered it? If so, it just goes to show how close things can get in and be found in such short a time. Or have we known about JU 2012 for awhile? It also seems to be in a much darker red then normal, I'm guessing it get's redder the closer it is.

Source

For some reason the orbit diagram isn't working for me.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
lol not on mothers day

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

this is not a doom and gloom thread

trust me on this one OP...there is no need to justify your thread...

and this picture just tells you why

we have our nearest body insanely full of hits so IMHO asteroids are at the top of the list of things humanity must be an expert on

and you are correct...things change so fast since we are still in the very early stages of detecting threats to Earth...

so S+F for posting this..and keep looking!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
13 meters wide....not super worried

good looking out though...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
spaceweather.com also shows this and they didn't a few days ago. 2012 in the name is the date of discovery, as I understand it. So yeah, they just found it.

Spaceweather's chart shows it as 13 meters across though, so it'd probably blow a satellite into tiny shards and ISS would be doing pretty radical maneuvers if we found this size one headed for it, but would this even make it through the atmosphere to the ground as a pebble?

S/F for such a quick catch though!
edit on 13-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: added s/f.. that was quick

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DominusIlluminatioMea

Actually, it makes its closest approach to Earth on Monday. It will be .0036AU from Earth, decently close, however it is pretty small so should be no worries.

OP: In order to view the JPL graph, you probably need to enable a Java plug-in.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

The moon does not get hit by more asteroids than the Earth does. Our atmosphere burns most of them up obviously, and because of geological recycling, the craters that earth does acquire usually disappear in a million years or so. The moon doesn't do either of these things, so it looks like a war zone.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yea, SW was short for Space Weather. I check that and ATS more then once daily.

As for the diagram for some reason it has worked for me before but now it's not working for any of the links so I guess I'll have to install the plugin again.

Thanks for the replies guys.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...
Well it looks like it could be up to 17 m which is almost 56 ft. So we would not want it landing near our home!

Asteroids with diameters of 5 to 10 m (16 to 33 ft) enter the Earth's atmosphere approximately once per year, with as much energy as Little Boy, the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, approximately 15 kilotonnes of TNT.

en.wikipedia.org...

Wonder if these can be effected by incoming CME
NCOMING CME: On May 11th, a coronal mass ejection raced away from the sun traveling ~1000 km/s. The fast-moving cloud will deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on May 14th around 14:30 UT, according to a forecast track
www.spaceweather.com...

edit on 13-5-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

13 meters, if it's made of iron and traveling faster than average would release the energy equivalent to 133 kilotons of TNT (like 80x more powerful than the bomb we dropped on nagasaki) Not worried still? Further, if it's travelling very very fast (much faster than normal) it could even release 5 megatons of energy (that's like a large thermonuclear bomb.)

assuming it's just light porous rock, traveling at average speed, it may only be enough to take out a city block

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

E=Mass
times
C sq.

Wonder if that formula E=Mc2 still applies today?.,,, for some reason don't think it even, exists in the minds of some prof. ,,u know ,,, probably aliens.

Me.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Asteroids with diameters of 5 to 10 m (16 to 33 ft) enter the Earth's atmosphere approximately once per year, with as much energy as Little Boy, the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, approximately 15 kilotonnes of TNT.

en.wikipedia.org...

You should post the remainder of the wikipedia entry....

These ordinarily explode in the upper atmosphere, and most or all of the solids are vaporized.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If you had this on your desk top you would not get to up tight

Have fun all after check what it will do with this

www.purdue.edu...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Wow, just saw it aswell, 0.5LD wow just WOW. How can we have not seen that. Have fun with the Planet X people now this will be huge fodder for them.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nakor

eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Annular Solar Eclipse of 2012 May 20

Google Maps and Solar Eclipse Paths

An Annular Solar Eclipse will take place on May 20, 2012 (May 21, 2012 for local time in Eastern Hemisphere), with a Magnitude of 0.9439. The Annular Phase will be visible from the Chinese coast, northern Taiwan, the south of Japan, and the western part of the United States, and Canada. Guangzhou, Taipei, Tokyo, and Albuquerque will be on the Central Path.

new topics

top topics

join