It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California deficit has soared to $16 billion, Gov. Jerry Brown says

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Illegal immigration costs the taxpayers of California — which has the highest number of illegal aliens nationwide — $10.5 billion a year for education, health care and incarceration, according to a study released yesterday.

I don't get it, there Illegal aliens but we give them education and benefits...so much for being illegal.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Not one mention of stopping illegal immigration which drains our california economy.....you'd think the lightbulb would go on eventually....but politicians here are scared of losing the latino vote

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

The only way to STOP it is to go after the corporations and most people are too chicken# to do that too!

So the cycle continues!

Maybe if people on here stopped demonizing the ACTUAL illegals and went after the system as a whole, that a beneficial solution could be found.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I agree...and stop allowing anchor babies, don't provide emergency care for FREE and pass it onto the citizens. I know alot of legal and native latinos who hate that the illegals make them look bad as alot of them paid their dues LEGALLY and know that the illegals can create a negative perception for them.

Unfortunately in California these guys would rather pillage the schools, and tax the people. I mean really how can a child learn anything in a class with 30 other students? and these dopes have the audacity to blame TEACHERS? No class should be over 20! period!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

is it irony that the wealthiest state in the union be in debt?

hopefully this will bring the bastard state that much closer to falling off into the sea, as the remaining states of the union will and pray for it.

how is it that Americas image is still coming out of Hollywood?

Personally I'd rather we had the image/face of total military superiority than that of lady Gaga... but that would scare the peoples of the rest of the nations just a little too much I suppose?

is it all a conspiracy?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

There are more people on welfare in California than the entire population of Indiana and a few other states.

California is the classic example of not living within your means.

Keep in mind - many people do indeed live within their means... for where they are living. Cost of living is certainly higher in California, but wages are better as well. Someone could have a seemingly stable job, and make enough to firmly support their home, car, and way of living. Then they get laid off because their state is terrible at managing programs and legislation, and is horribly in debt, and suddenly, the pathetic amount of unemployment doesn't keep them afloat at all, and they can't find work.

I agree many do live beyond their means - but many suffering from this continued recession are not lazy bums, and they are just victims of the mess.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by adigregorio

Wow someone needs a time out. Sticks and stones. You are coming off a little over sensitive. To bad so sad. Someone says they moved, you snap at them. Maybe your what is wrong with California.

Oh, and here I thought you guys were thinking it was welfare folks and illegals that were the problem.

Now it is me...

PS: The poster was telling me to move, or "run away". You may like to run away from problems, but that is not how I roll.

PPS: Again I ask, other than howl, what do YOU do to change the situation(s)? I listed what I did, sensitive or not..,

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

You missed the point with your first sentence by once again demonizing the illegals themselves if they get any sort of benefit.

Corporations and government, not the people themselves!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by xuenchen

is it irony that the wealthiest state in the union be in debt?

hopefully this will bring the bastard state that much closer to falling off into the sea, as the remaining states of the union will and pray for it.

how is it that Americas image is still coming out of Hollywood?

Personally I'd rather we had the image/face of total military superiority than that of lady Gaga... but that would scare the peoples of the rest of the nations just a little too much I suppose?

is it all a conspiracy?

Yes it probably IS a conspiracy !

The Fibrillating Palpitating Ultra-Liberal Super Left Wing Fanatical Radicals have "legalized" all the super high priced administrative jobs that are fully supported and paid for by the state sponsored policies.

That could be the problem.

It might be Marxism / Corporatism at its' best ideal set up for the muney mungers that rule many States.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The only way to STOP it is to go after the corporations and most people are too chicken# to do that too!
reply to post by The Sword

Back in the 1940's and 1950's, corporations were more concerned about their employees, and for the most part, manufactured and developed their products in the United States. It wasn't until the greed took over, along with government sponsored treasonous acts, such as NAFTA, that the entire system became detrimental to the average citizen. At that point, short term profits became the only goal of the executives of those corporations, and the American worker was thrown out of the equation. Only when corporations understand one basic economic fact, namely that maximizing short term profits, usually leads to long term destruction of the very corporation that they work for. Of course, their philosophy is that they don't care about long term corporate survival, since they believe that they will be long gone before that happens. Unfortunately, corporate demise is usually fairly sudden, although the symptoms are rarely recognized until it is too late. This is what happened during the economic crisis here in 2008. The true financial numbers were hidden as long as possible, in order to keep the truth hidden, and when they couldn't hide it any more, boom- total collapse of the system. The government NEVER should have bailed them out. That bailout allowed the corrupt system to continue.
Shame on the politicians of BOTH parties. TREASON in not partisan. They were all involved.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Its fair to say that almost all those serving in Congress and Presidency,should be held for treason.
Most favored Nation status to China always pissed me off. Here we economically bankrupt Soviet Russia with a Cold War,and singlehandedly give Communist China,the keys to the kingdom. Bill Clinton for pushing it,Bush for signing it into law.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Gotta wonder how fast they downgraded Greece rating as junk (kinda the same total debt total) and California still got A-minus.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvius

Politicians are not businessmen. They're politicians. They're lawyers who couldn't make it. Why people think they're qualified to manage the financial aspect of a state or a country is beyond me. If you want laws to be discussed, passed or vetoed, call a politician. If you want to balance a budget, call a businessman. It's really that simple.

I'm going to call you on what I see as a misconception. The primary concern of a successful politician is the acquisition and retention of his/her job. The primary concern of a businessman is...well...the exact same thing.

Point taken. I wouldn't call it a misconception as much as I would say that you took my point to it's logical conclusion. ( Great minds think alike don't they
)

I guess the biggest problem people are having with this discussion is that the people in charge who are concerned with their own job retention do it in such a way to where the common man, you and me, can't do it for ourselves. And if you think about it, that's more than a little backwards because we pay them ( the politicians ) via our tax dollars, to serve our needs. If we don't have a job, we don't pay taxes. If we don't pay taxes, how do the politicians get paid?

As long as taxpayers let their employees, the politicians, run around unchecked like they do in California, you're going to get this sort of thing. I read somewhere, it might have been here, that there are more people on welfare in California then then the entire population of Indiana.

If that's true.......that's insane.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I live in California and it is a very unique state that I do love for the most part. It is beautiful and it is liberal minded, which I do like, to a point. I am ashamed at the blatant bureaucratic waste and money thrown at illegal aliens all for the sake of their vote. This has ruined California's economy more than anything else. It is very frustrating, but no doubt will end in the near future because there will just be no more money.

For all the California haters, grow up. You should know that politics and bureaucracy have created our state's financial issues, not the law abiding, legal, working class. There is a large minority that vote against the waste and big govt spending every election cycle, but we are usually outnumbered. It has become a self-fulfilling cycle....liberal spending promotes more illegal immigration, which promotes the need for more legislation in favor of this group, which garners more support from this group, which then keeps this cycle going. I have no doubt the cycle started with good intentions, but has now spun out of control.

Stopping the illegal influx would certainly slow things down, which is the federal government's job. But why has no President in my lifetime done a darn thing about this? Why is this the one subject no President talks about? That is a subject that deserves it's own thread.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

Originally posted by Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by adigregorio

Wow someone needs a time out. Sticks and stones. You are coming off a little over sensitive. To bad so sad. Someone says they moved, you snap at them. Maybe your what is wrong with California.

Oh, and here I thought you guys were thinking it was welfare folks and illegals that were the problem.

Now it is me...

PS: The poster was telling me to move, or "run away". You may like to run away from problems, but that is not how I roll.

PPS: Again I ask, other than howl, what do YOU do to change the situation(s)? I listed what I did, sensitive or not..,

Stay and "fight" as long as you want man, just don't be to surprised when California is swiriling down the drain and you roll down with the rest.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Makeshift because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by sonnny1

Republicans are still in denial that their party has any sense whatsoever of fiscal responsibility.

What is doomed is any chance that the U.S. middle class is going to pay off that huge debt created by republicans for their free market scam.

As I pointed out, CA's biggest problem is the vast numbers of illegal immigrants that GW let walk into the U.S to live on welfare and provide slaves for his corporate masters.

No disrespect sir, but you're FOS!

2nd line

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Can't complain about California's Fiscal Responsibility, because there is none.

In any case it's time for some hard choices.
First thing to go should be some of the entitlement programs.
It's a shame but it's gotta be done.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Perhaps if California wasn't paying to school children of illegal immigrants, while not receiving anything in tax base from their parents, they wouldn't be in the hole quite so badly.

Interesting that the one state that spends billions on schooling, housing, and protecting illegal immigrants who don't contribute to their tax base is the state the highest in the hole.

If you want to call them "Illegal Immigrants" then fine. But they're some of the hardest working people out there. They fuel a big chunk of the economy. Try working 6 days a week 10 hours a day and see how you like it. That's what they do. They struggle to get by and then have a kid to have a better life in this country. They struggle to get rights and respect. They fight every bit as hard as european immigrants did when they entered this country over a hundred years ago. We SHOULD give them an education and help support them just as we would any other hard working american.

If anybody is to blame it's the americans that don't work as hard as the illegals. THEY're the ones that're drinking the government money and not giving back. Americans are losing their values. And this is so abundantly clear. More and more you see how companies go overseas because americans don't meet the standards. They're spoiled to high heaven and the education system worships them. And that's another side issue. The education system in this country has failed to educate.

I think the blame lays squarely on the government overspending its budget. If they had been awake at the wheel the none of this would have happened. They need to be all layed off, in my view. There needs to be more oversight and expectations of those on welfare. More checks and balances.
edit on 14-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Wow, I live in California. Anyone want to insult me directly?

I swear...

You guys are so nice! I mean, if my state crumbles I could be left in the wake. But who cares right? I live around people who are "touchy feely" nevermind I am not, nor anyone in my family. But who cares right?

Well, you know, I like us Californians way better than a bunch of ass holes that "don't care about others".

(Cue "I don't care about losers" or whatever ignorant statement comes next.)

Empathy folks, not all of us in California CHOOSE to be here. You guys sit on your turd thrones atop turd mountain, throwing rocks at us from your glass palaces. You never stop to think that people are not all the same.

PS: I live in California, I didn't spend all the money. Hell I can't even get them to help pay for schooling. Maybe you should get mad at the people in charge, instead of their slaves?
edit on 5/13/2012 by adigregorio because: un in California TO us in California

Not my fault or anyone else that you choose to stay in such a sinking State.
The whole idea of empathy towards those that refuse to do anything about their situation is beyond common sense.
If it is so bad there, and you feel the pain, then leave.

Kind of like going to the doctor and saying, "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this".
Doctor replies, "Well, don't do that".

Let Kommiefornia bask in its utopian glory and go down in flames.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Makeshift

Nah, just don't cry party foul when it happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join