It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California deficit has soared to $16 billion, Gov. Jerry Brown says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Wow, some of the people on this site still have the mentality that led to the witch burning/hangings. Us vs. them.

You people are sickening.

Get mad at the common people that have nothing to do with the situation and not the bureaucracy filled to the brim with corruption. Great logic

Can you please define "common people" to me? I was raised that if you're not part of the the solution you are part of the problem. What makes one "common" to you?
We are all part of the situation.

edit on 13-5-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

The taxpayer isn't the judicial/criminal justice system. If crimes like bribery is being committed and no one is prosecuting them or there is no oversight, then what can the taxpayer do? Elect another person in and have them corrupted? Which is highly likely due to us being greedy primates. We have no chance of fixing anything until money is completely out of politics.

Actually,you can vote ALL of them out,and hold them to their principles.

Recalls,are another way to change the minds of politicians,who tend to make bad decisions.

Imagine 3 million people,on a State Capital steps DEMANDING resignations.......

Think about it.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Shhhhhh

Don't let common sense get in the way of petty politics!

edit on 13-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

So you agreed to sign on to those bad derivatives quadrupling the already existing debt that you had nothing to do with? I'm not part of that situation (if I were a Californian citizen).
edit on 13-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

So then they resign and the same exact situation occurs, until money is out of politics. I already addressed that.

And if you feel like protesting in front of an office is going to do something, why aren't you in the nations capitol doing it? The same exact thing that is happening in California is happening to the US.

I did not sign on to the derivatives, that is not my debt. Banks making bets with taxpayer money is on them, not me.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

So then they resign and the same exact situation occurs, until money is out of politics. I already addressed that.

And if you feel like protesting in front of an office is going to do something, why aren't you in the nations capitol doing it? The same exact thing that is happening in California is happening to the US.

I was at the Capital protesting !!

Where were you?

Btw,Ive been trying to tell ANYONE who would listen,to stop Occupying city's,Occupy the White House and Senate.

A few million camping in DC,would force changes.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

So you agreed to sign on to those bad derivatives quadrupling the already existing debt that you had nothing to do with? I'm not part of that situation (if I were a Californian citizen).

No, I didn't, nor would I, but collectively we have allowed this to happen and I'm as guilty as anyone else for allowing it to happen. The biggest issue I see for today is....... where do we go from here?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

You'll find out all that you need to know about Gov.Jerry Brown in the track "California Uber Alles" by the Dead Kennedys.

It baffles me how people have such a short-term memory.

Sorry , i'll have to Pass on that Suggestion , i don't Listen to TRASH Music............

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

So you're blaming yourself for something you didn't do?
I think this is some sort of mutated form of Stockholm syndrome.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Governor Moonbeam wakes up one day and realizes that CA is in debt? Wow, that must have been one of his few lucid moments.
Here is what Californians should do. All CA citizens that are working should leave the state, and get jobs in other states. Then only those who caused the problem will be forced to live the problem.
Next time Californians shouldn't elect a pot head, whose brain was already fried twenty years ago.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Don't think that would change a thing....and even if it did, who would you put in place? Anyone with the money to run is already corrupt.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

And your POTUS Obama still dares to come here and bash our fiscal policies...

I'd suggest he put his own house in order first and maybe next time just book a flight to California instead of Berlin.
edit on 13-5-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What amazes me the most is the inability to fix such simple things. 16B is nothing, here's what you do:

1) Require proof of citizenship to obtain any state subsidies, benefits, etc.
2) Cut state education costs or better yet just do away with it entirely. We were just fine back in 1979 without it.
3) Give all state and county employees a 5% pay cut across the board, 10% for those earning 150k a year or more.

There's your 16 billion, actually probably a bit more.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Politicians are not businessmen. They're politicians. They're lawyers who couldn't make it. Why people think they're qualified to manage the financial aspect of a state or a country is beyond me. If you want laws to be discussed, passed or vetoed, call a politician. If you want to balance a budget, call a businessman. It's really that simple.

I'm going to call you on what I see as a misconception. The primary concern of a succesful politician is the acquisition and retention of his/her job. The primary concern of a businessman is...well...the exact same thing.

But they must use different strategies and skill sets to achieve these goals. That was your point and I agree. The misconception, as I see it, lies in the perception of who does the hiring and firing in either case. For the failed lawyers, The People (supposedly) fulfill this capacity. For the bean counters it's...better bean counters, I guess.

In the case of businessmen (the bean counter thing was a poke for which I apologize but do not retract
) rewards are given for maximizing profit. I offer no judgement, just a statement of fact. In the case of the failed lawyers (Taupin's term, love it, no apology forthcoming) The People administer the rewards and punishments.

But do they? Can it really be argued that the Will of The People is paramount in the U.S? Who wanted Mitt Romney as the Republican cantidate? Seriously? Businesspeople bought his current position.

My point, as counterpoint to Taupin's, is that every capital building in every state (and yes, D.C.) is already run by businesspeople. Who have less psuedoconcern about you (judgement inserted here) than any given failed lawyer.

Also, to address California and further acts of voter manipulation, this is just what happens when you let The Uninformed People vote on, hell, anything. "Expanded transportation programs? Yeah!" "Higher wheel tax? Boo!"

I'm not saying Americans are stupid. I'm saying they are shown what they are meant to see, that politicians and pundits are employed by the same people and that the central tenet of capatalism,informed self-interest,has been kicked out from under us by the "better class".
edit on 5/14/2012 by Vitruvius because: clarity

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Anyone hear?

DC has recorded its first Budget SURPLUS in over four years

58 Billion dollars in fact - I know you guys will line up a way to take a
massive shhiitt on the news, but that is pretty cool news. Shows that
revenue is up and government is spending less than it takes in... IF
we could only keep it up...

Shhhitt away, or spray acid (in the case of dear Neo)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

So you're blaming yourself for something you didn't do?
I think this is some sort of mutated form of Stockholm syndrome.

I think you're missing my point. Collectively, We The People elected these idiots and We The People have allowed them to stay in office. Our threshold of intolerance in the US remains to be seen but if we stay on the course we're on, it will eventually come to a head. We all share a certain amount of responsibility for the mess we're in, like it or not.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I fail to see any common sense in this thread.

Just more Democrat/liberal bashing that doesn't really address the root of the problem.

In fact, debt management should never be a partisan issue.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

It's no surprise and the mods don't seem to care either because they condone it everyday.

If there's anything that I've learned, it's that some things are best ignored. It's not easy to do so.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

That's really low of you but I can't say that I expected much better.

If you just read the lyrics and skip the music, you'll see why Brown was reviled in the 1980s. He's old news.

In fact, I'll quote them for you since the music is obviously too low for you. What do you listen to? Nu-metal? Country?

Dead Kennedys- California Uber Alles

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...

Carter Power will soon go away
I will be Fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school!

[Chorus:]
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back you say
Mellow out or you will pay
Mellow out or you will pay!

[Chorus]

Now it is 1984
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the suede/denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower.

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown
When you mess with President Brown

[Chorus]

Source: A-Z lyrics

Even back then, they were talking about "camps" and the rise of fascism.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Wow someone needs a time out. Sticks and stones. You are coming off a little over sensitive. To bad so sad. Someone says they moved, you snap at them. Maybe your what is wrong with California.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join