It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Says He Didn't Think Obama's Views 'Could Get Any Gayer'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Sen. Rand Paul mocked President Obama's recent support of gay marriage on Friday, saying he didn't think Obama's views "could get any gayer."

"The president recently weighed in on marriage and you know he said his views were evolving on marriage," the Kentucky Republican said at Iowa's Faith and Freedom Coalition meeting. "Call me cynical, but I wasn't sure his views on marriage could get any gayer."

The comments, which generated laughs, were made two days after Obama announced that he supported same-sex marriage, which he had previously opposed, while adding he thought the issue should be left up to the states to decide. Paul was encouraging support for his father Ron Paul's long-shot presidential campaign when the conversation turned to the news of the week. "He said the biblical golden rule caused him to be for gay marriage," Paul said.

"I'm like what version of the Bible is he reading?"

news.yahoo.com...

So much for individual liberty eh Rand?

Thought I'd share this, seemed like a pretty idiotic comment to make.
edit on 12-5-2012 by MiddleClassWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yup. Stupid indeed.

People will now somehow connect this to Ron Paul.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
i don't understand.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Well that is going to be a public relations horror for his dad. The media is going to ask Ron about his sons' statement and it will create an association in the minds of listeners.

Listening to it again, I really do not get the joke?

edit on 12-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorMobius
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

The thing with using the golden rule to persuade people to allow gay marriage is that I have no problem with someone keeping me from getting gay married.
so... I keep gays from getting married and someone keeps me from getting gay married.... deal.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MiddleClassWarrior

I'm not sure I get his joke about Obama's views on marriage getting any gayer. Sounds like a joke that delivered but when you think about it you're lost. What were Obama's views on marriage before? Was he for or against gay marriage? If he was always for it did he keep it quiet?

Either way, the MSM will have their way with this. I dunno what Rand was thinking. I hope he didn't write that into his speech

edit on 12-5-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
So isn't it Rand Paul's individual liberty to say what he wants? Freedom of speech. Rand did not physically prevent anyone from being gay, and how is "gayer" any different from truthER birthER?

Rand is a rookie and has made mistakes, but this isn't one of them. If it gets a laugh, it will most likely get votes. Isn't that Obama's policy to smile and laugh even when inappropriate?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Goodnight folks! Obama's the one changing his stance. You think this is going to hurt Ron Paul? I think Rand is entitled to his own thoughts and doesn't have to be a rubber stamp for daddy.

Take a look at Obama being "very clear":

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

It will hurt Ron Paul because people will associate the comment with him. It has nothing to do with if Ron agrees with it or not. It is just BAD PR.

reply to post by Lord Jules

No one is advocating against his freedom of speech, they are commentating on what he said.

edit on 12-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I would be interested how much attention this gets from MSM. They have Ron Paul on ignore, will a chink in his amour call the dogs on him, or will they not consider this newsworthy as they are acting and perhaps believing Paul is out of the contest?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm confused as well...What is he even trying to say? What I also don't understand, is how Rand Paul would even think about saying something that could end up hyped and controversial especially from the media during an ELECTION year when his dad is running for president!

I don't know very much about Rand Paul, but so far I don't have a really great impression of him. This was a stupid move.

edit on 12-5-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Worst attempt at a "witty" pun if I ever heard one. Politicians should stick to what they do best -- though one can make the point that making asinine public comments is one of them.

"Couldn't get any gayer" -- "Couldn't get any greyer".......stick to lying to the public Senator Paul, you are a politician not a comedian.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well i didn't know ATS could get any "gayer" myself!

With all the macho bravado and occasional misogyny typically spewed in here..one would think...oh wait!?

Now of course the MSM are gonna jump on this to get their reactionary brigade on full circus again! Bet Rand Paul did it on purpose.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
On a serious note though, it's refreshing to see republicans getting a humorous take on the matter than the typical dramatic religious hyperbole. Liberals know it's a weak spot.

edit on 12-5-2012 by Exv8densez because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Because that's just how the stupid sheeple are! Some already have their minds made up anyway!

On another serious note though, if the "gay bait" is what's used to bring down Ron Paul, i seriously think that portion of the population better prepare for the wrath coming up their asses. Things are gonna get ugly for real this time!
edit on 12-5-2012 by Exv8densez because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

The joke is 'couldn't get any gayer'.

Back in the day 'gay' meant stupid or ridiculous. Like "why are you wearing that shirt? It's so gay." or "That really is a gay hairstyle. Do something with it." "Dad, I'm TOTALLY not going bowling with the family. That's so GAY."

Took me FOREVER to stop using 'gay' as 'stupid/ridiculous/idiotic' etc. xD Same way as 'retarded' meant 'totally completely stupid'. The two words were interchangable. "My parents won't let me go to the dance. This is SO retarded!" "that movie was beyond retarded. It was completely gay."

But yes, it's a pun on words. "I didn't think Obama being for gay rights could get any gayer" or however he put it.

Hope that clarifies it.
edit on 12-5-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833

The joke is 'couldn't get any gayer'.

I don't even think he was trying to be that hip. It was a poorly worded pun. The two words being "gayer" and "greyer". Though, yours works too and could be it. Either way it may have drawn a few laughs from the peanut gallery, but falls short and should be put into the annuls of idiotic political gaffes of the 21st century logbook.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

People still use the word gay in that context.

That's why I don't get it. There isn't really comical aspect to the "joke". It came out as some sort of backhanded diss on gay people with a giggle at the end of it.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I am a big Ron Paul supporter. I don't share my excitement for his son. I find he plays the pandering game a little like most other politicans. I like him more than many, but I wouldn't give my left nut for him.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join