It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you vote for Gary Johnson or write in Ron Paul in November?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Since Gary Johnson secured the Libertarian Party nomination last week I've seen quite a few news articles about him and the various comments people have left.

Sadly, in alot of them I saw a recurring comment from people "I'm backing Ron Paul, not a throw away vote." How is GJ a throw away vote when he'll be on 40+ state ballots vs Obama and Romney when Ron Paul can't crack 20% in most primaries? Bless your hearts if you think you're going to out scheme the most evil and corrupt organization on the planet, but there is no way the RNC will allow Paul to get the nomination.

What happens when Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination? Is Gary Johnson perfect? No. But Paul isn't either (Border and Immigration).

Writing in Ron Paul's name will make you feel good if you are more attached to the man than the message. However, Paul's remaining years on this Earth are going to be spent writing best sellers and speaking at expensive dinners. If you want to show the libertarian movement will survive past this campaign vote for Gary Johnson.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'll probably vote for GJ. Wish he would have been in more of the debates. He was the only one to answer the question "who onstage would you pick for VP" and answered Ron Paul without any hesitation.

Another difficult choice would be if Ron Paul somehow wins the GOP nomination (would be so nice) and Gary Johnson keeps running on the Libertarian ticket. Not sure if he would step aside if somehow Ron Paul pulls it off and the GOP allows him to be the nominee.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
doesn't matter really, the delegates paul earns will just vote for obama

oh well, I'm sure the paul supporters will understand

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
alot of you in these kinda threads talk as if since the guy you like (isnt or shouldnt be in the race) you should vote for someone else who is.. except thats not why a vote was given to me..it was given to me, FOR ME to decide who i like and vote for..NO MATTER if he is in the race running or more the 5 other people know his name..

ron paul supporters will vote for ron paul..it doesnt matter if hes on the ballot or not..
you may look at that as a waist of a vote..and thats ok for you to think that way..

but to the supporter it will never be a waist to cast a vote for the person You believe should win.
voting what you believe instead of choosing the lesser of evils is always the right choice.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I might vote for him, I haven't decided. His stance on Welfare and other Social programs concerns me, he seems to follow cuts without reform. I firmly believe that a safety net needs to be in place for people struggling or barely surviving however what we have in place seems more like a type of enslavement.

I'm also concerned that I'm too eager to vote. In my adult life I have never not voted in an election but, I can't in good conscious vote D or R this time around. And no, Ron Paul doesn't do it for me. I feel very uncomfortable not voting. I recently registered undeclared from Democrat because I'm so disgusted with them, I'm more disgusted with Republicans.

I guess I'll decide after I've done some more research.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Neither!

Has any chance of ever becoming potus.

edit on 12-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I would consider Gary Johnson if Paul does not get the GOP nomination and doesn't run as an independent. I would have voted for RP last election, but he dropped out, so I voted for Bob Barr. I have my priorities on who I will vote for based on who best reflects my personal political beliefs. Right now, Ron Paul is at the top of that list.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The last time I checked, third parties have never gotten more than 1% of the vote at the election, just look at 2008 where Barr had 0.4% and Nader had 0.56%. History shows third parties don't have a chance.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

The electoral college will not vote for a 3rd party candidate.. the last time even a single vote was given to someone who was not part of the 2 party system was in 1988. Even Ross Perot who took 8 million votes was not given a single electoral vote.

Voting for either Johnson or Paul does only one thing: Lowers the total votes for Republicans and thus, causes Democrats to, by default, retain a higher percentage of the vote.

So when asking whether we vote Johnson or Paul I think that it comes down to what you want to say. Do you want to say "I'm pissed off at my party and the RINO they are forcing us to take against Obama" or are you saying "I'm pissed at both parties and this is my way of saying !@$ you all"

I think Paul hands down is the best choice for President.. I think Johnson is the best choice the Libertarian Party could have come up with. And the Libertarian Party has grown quite rapidly (I'm actually a registered Libertarian)

Sooo.... I don't know.. A Johnson/Paul or Paul/Johnson ticket would be awesome.. but with Pauls estranged relationship with the Libertarian Party it's never going to happen. Paul did say that he's very focused on "delivering the message" of Libertarianism .. and I think either a vote for him or Johnson would equally be effective in telling both the Republican Party and the country that "We are Libertarians, we need to be represented"

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
After seeing the performance at the Oklahoma convention (Arizona ended in the parking lot without the delegation starting the convention over) and what happened in both Nevada and Maine last weekend, as well as the revelation that the RNC has in the past allowed delegates to vote their conscience, I think Paul is still well within the race, and is still in it for the GOP nomination.

That said, in the event that Romney's trickery at the conventions as of late manage to fulfill their intended purpose, I'll still be voting for Paul. He has gotten far more air time than Johnson, and as we've seen in the conventions as of late he has massive support from the people, enough to hold off the combined efforts of Romney's camp and old Santorum supporters so far.

I expect Paul to pull in far more votes in the election than Johnson if he doesn't get the GOP nomination, just because his popularity has shown much more, and more people in our country actually know who he is, because he's been allowed in the more recent GOP debates.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I don't know who I'll be voting for, but the Republican party will get a protest vote where it hurts them the most.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I intend to vote for Gary Johnson. As a New Mexican, I am a little biased. Gary Johnson wsa a very good governor of this state. When he left office, he left a balanced budget, grew the state general fund reserves, and helped the economy here grow. I am not sure about his tax plan. I haven't read all the way through it yet. I agree with his ideas on drug policy.Not to mention that as far as I know, he is the only candidate who has climbed mount Everest. That means little as far as policy goes, but it does speak volumes about the kind of person he is. Ron Paul would be a great president, but the republicans will never allow him to be their selection.

top topics

join