It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Physicists Smash Distance Record For Teleportation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I saw a Q&A with Michio Kaku regarding human teleportation. He states that in the process of quantum teleportation, the original person will be destroyed but there will be a new copy of the person at the other end.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Creepy, considering it's the Chinese who discovered it. I was about to add that America be guarded against this but considering who's running America one can only wish such technology be discovered by worthier hands, if any.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I will get excited when they can teleport something that actually has mass.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Amazing. The best science news I've heard in years. S & F for this post sir! The applications for even low level teleportation are huge. Quantum Entanglement will be like AOL 2.0 by the year 2100. Even if they did solve how to rearrange/arrange enough organic/inorganic material in a way to transport objects or even human beings, you would need a quantum super computer to crunch all the data so that the mass on the receiving end didn't end up as a pile of discombobulated goop. Seeing as how technology is starting to round the exponential curve anyway, we aren't to far off. Say goodbye to 3G and 4G, say hello to Q!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

awesome news i guessing darpa already mastered it n that case
reply to post by ultimatefighter2014

I guess not. What does DARPA have to do with it? Nothing.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I really hope this technology fails.... or hope that something continually sets mankind back a few hundred years.... I hate thinking about a world where the thought police just suddenly pop out of nowhere!!!!!
edit on 13-5-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Found this on The Speculist.

Teleportation in the News BY PHIL BOWERMASTER + MARCH 31ST, 2012 Yesterday was an interesting anniversary. Wired News reports: March 29, 1993: Teleportation Beams From Sci-Fi to Real Science 1993: Scientists show teleportation is possible, at least theoretically. The downsides: The original teleported object must be destroyed, and it can’t happen instantaneously. The story goes on to flesh out some of the milestones that have occurred in the teleportation arena in the interrum, including teleporting photons a few meters and teleporting information up to 10 miles. Gizmodo marked the anniversary by sharing this story with us: Beam Me Up, Scotty: Scientists Transport a Hunk of Matter 18 Inches Scientists in Copenhagen took one more step toward the Star Trek transporter, figuring out how to teleport groups of billions of atoms from one place to another using light, quantum mechanics, magnetism and a concept they call “entanglement.” Professor Eugene Polzik and his team managed to move an object about 18 inches, using an excruciatingly complicated process that amounts to some serious magic. Says the Prof: “Creating entanglement is a very important step, but there are two more steps at least to perform teleportation. We have succeeded in making all three steps — that is entanglement, quantum measurement and quantum feedback.”

It seems as though this technology has been a popular one to research and that the Chinese have been improving it for the last decade or so, at least that's what I would speculate. Unless they just recently got into the field of teleportation in general, the Chinese probably have a lot more research funding than your average University or private company.

If they succeeded in making all three steps in 1993, entanglement, quantum measurement, and quantum feedback, then theoretically they could utilize a quantum cloud technology to "store" detailed information about any given matter, as all matter and energy cannot be "destroyed" its simply recycled in some way shape or form. This would allow something to be transported in a way that was comparable to how Willy Wonka was transporting little bits, maybe "cubits" of a chocolate bar, then accidentally a young boy into the air (temporary cloud storage) and then into a TV set, which could later be viewed as whatever mechanism or apparatus was charged with piecing the trillions and trillions of organic/inorganic material back together. Of course in Star Trek they have multiple pieces of tech. dedicated to solving these physics problems with a simple algorithm.

The way that transporters are aloud to break this rule of transportation dematerialization/materialization is something called a Heisenberg compenstator which removes uncertainty principle from from the subatomic quantum measurements allowing the technology to be feasible, and remain accurate to the given range. Then a sort of computer pattern buffer adds leeway to the process making intermittent delays a realization when something goes wrong or a delay is put in place by an external force.

As interesting as all this is, it sounds as though scientists bested and/or matched some of these technologies in 1993, and now that the Chinese have crushed distance records have made it even more feasible, as far as a foundation; or a baseline for research in years to come. In 50 years distance shouldn't be a problem, it would be the power needed, computation required, and the sci-fi compensation apparatus to equate to our next step in understanding physics in general, thus turning what we know as theoretical physics into the study of photonic engineering, dark matter physics, and continuum by-laws haha.

Link
edit on 13-5-2012 by JediMindTrek because: External Link

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
reply to post by mr-lizard

Everything is military no matter who creates it.
Everybody wants security.

And that's too bad. It's a shame we can't use technology to create rather than destroy. That's what happens when despots are in charge.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Beam me up mr scott

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
en.wikipedia.org...

Quantum systems can become entangled through various types of interactions (see section on methods below). If entangled, one object cannot be fully described without considering the other(s). They remain in a quantum superposition and share a single quantum state until a measurement is made.[22]

My theory about why FTL communcation by means of entanglement is not possible, is because there never is a communication between Alice and Bob.

If detector Alice measures the state of one partner, the other one at detector Bob has to have the opposite spin.

But this can only be verified and true if a human looks at both Alice and Bob.

If Alice and Bob are galaxies apart there is no way to verify them both, for both parties. At least not faster than light.

The only reason that it seems like information travels FTL between Alice and Bob in entanglement experiments here on Earth, is because Bob adapts to what the experimenter knows about Alice.

Imo.

edit on 12-5-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

The very act of measurement or no measurement gives both observers enough information to make 1s and 0s as long as they share a consistent clock. The real challenge is to find a way to share a clock source over vast distances and account for relativity in regards to time dilation caused by varying amounts of gravity and directional speed of the two points.

Also, how to get around the whole observer collapses the wave theory...

Once we figure these things out (if we haven't already) then we will be cooking with gas.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Needalight
I saw a Q&A with Michio Kaku regarding human teleportation. He states that in the process of quantum teleportation, the original person will be destroyed but there will be a new copy of the person at the other end.

www.youtube.com...

Well, he stole that straight from Star Trek didn't he? Wow, shouldn't the script writer be given the credit rather than Kaku for that, or if he says it does it make it legitimate?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
reply to post by MysterX

Hopefully quantum computation comes out soon. Im sure they are close to the first quantum based processing chip.

Chip? Hardly thats still faar away.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
It doesn't matter how fast information can travel, especially in the communications arena..frankly, we have light speed communications right now, have had since the first radio broadcast.

What is important is how fast can the communicated information be processed and acted upon.

Yes, it does matter how fast information can travel. There is something like an eight minute delay when sending commands to the Mars rover. Sending information faster than the speed of light is critical for future space exploration. The whole point of quantum entanglement is that information is transferred immediately, at whatever distance, not at the speed of light. In some experiments the reacting photon seems to react even before the manipulated photon is even changed. In theory, we could send information in binary form to the Andromeda Galaxy and beyond with zero time delay using quantum entanglement.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

for space.. that communication speed is key, quantum is instantaneous.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Why would we need to have a synchronized clock? If quantum entanglement happens outside if space time, then the information reception rate will not be affected by any gravitational time dilation. Are you saying there could be a problem with the gravity being different in the sending and receiving locations and thus there would be a difference in the rate at witch time passes? Those effects would be very minimal in any place other than a black hole. However, I would think photon b would change spin at the rate photon a changes spin at the location and with the time at location a.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Posted on 20-12-2010

Beam Me Up: 'Teleportation' Is Year's Biggest Breakthrough (Plus 9 others!)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
And then they got hailed on and died....

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

That's because everyone is convinced security is necessary. The original intention of protecting mankind until it's reached full maturity has been warped into, "No, you can never have your freedom. Why? Because it's too dangerous out there, and we need you here to keep us running."

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I don't mean to bother you, but since I am curious I might as well ask. What would be the difference between the processing chips we have now and a quantum chip? I don't really know much about this kind of stuff, but find it interesting to say the least.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Actually it does matter how fast information can travel.

First of all, I can see it being useful in life threatening situations, as well as quicker intelligence gathering.

HOWEVER, the downfall is that it means viruses and other similar computer information based weapons have a greater chance to get through.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join