It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for Intelligent Life? Mensa.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

So in conclusion of what use is an organisation such as Mensa when members are selected arbitrarily on only 2 of the 7 criteria required? By the way I have an IQ of 152, which to me only implies that I am really good at doing IQ tests.

Indeed while Gardner's (1993) work contributed a great deal to the application of his theory underlying the psychological assessment of multiple intelligences, there has been difficulty in efficiently applying his specific problem-solving rubrics. I seriously doubt that Mensa is testing even 2 of the 7 properly, given both their fee structure as well as their mission statement. This type of assessment would cost anywhere between $250-$1200 in US currency (depending on your state, your history, your mental status, your neurological features, your performance on screeners, etc). Additionally this form of comprehensive assessment would take a minimum of 4 hours, even if you spoiled every subtest starting at the first item.

There is also the problem of using so many different measures to evaluate the same construct. In other words, the SATs, GREs, MCATs, and LSATs were not designed to evaluate the construct of intelligence. Yet they appear to be used in such a way, therefore we have a concurrent validity issue among the measures. Regardless of what armchair psychometricians would have you believe, not all tests are equal (whether they utilize verbal and/or non-verbal means). Additionally I wonder how many re-tests Mensa uses on their members to establish reliability?

MK

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There are not two divisions of Mensa. " Mensa is an international society that has one - and only one - qualification for membership: a score in the top 2% of the population on a standardized intelligence test."

There is another organization for those who have an IQ in the 99th percentile. It is called Intertel. It is not affiliated with Mensa.

I might add that an IQ score is meaningless without the standard deviation. So you can't say that membership is limited to those with an IQ of 150, as that score alone doesn't really say anything.

Mensans are really like everyone else in the world. We have our strengths and our weaknesses. I have only been to one Mensa function in the twenty years I have been a member. I just think its fun to show people your card when they get horsey about something.

But, really, there are only two kinds of people in the world--Mensans and those who wish they were.

[edit on 04/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
There's actually some logic to this... just as there is a difference in the way that the ordinary Mensans think compared to (say) the folks in your office or school, there is a real difference between those with an IQ of 130 and those with 160.

Hey man, that hurts. An IQ of 130 is nothing to belittle by the way; but I know that you know that.

Just busting your chops because I was in the upper 130 range; though as I get older I have dropped to 133 on the latest online test I took. Too much Crown Royal I think....

I found an interesting site that equates GRE and SAT scores to IQ. Mine was right on the money. I was measured at 138 in sixth grade and scored a 1300 in 12th grade. So, to adjust slightly for an older age, I think that correlation is fairly accurate.

members.shaw.ca...

members.shaw.ca...

So, does this mean I would have been able to apply for Mensa?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I did the Mensa schtick twenty-five years ago. All they did then was party.

Leave it for the young people, I say.

: )

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wow thanks Maynaris(Hope i remembered that right)

I just realised i fall into this category...

The Personal Intelligences--includes interpersonal feelings and intentions of others--and intrapersonal intelligence--the ability to understand one's own feelings and motivations. These two intelligences are separate from each other. Nevertheless, because of their close association in most cultures, they are often linked together."

IQ test's are no way to measure a persons intelligence, i have a friend who is very clever, i have many great intellectual conversations with him and hes very knowledgable but he did one of those online IQ tests and he got something below average.

I also did the same IQ test and got something like 102 i dont know the average of IQ's but i like the 100 figure so im not bothered.

Also i remember me and my missus doing the National IQ test, i think it was either BBC or ITV not quite sure, but she got something like 96 and i got 84 ( I was not happy!Not because of the score just that she beat me) and there were questions like "What was the big event in the media in February 2002?" the answer was related to some celebrity/pop star who did something out of character!

Now this cannot be used to measure anyones intelligence, i choose to ignore certain things in life... mostly being A-List celebrities on the front page of tabloid newspapers because they let their nipple slip at an award or they got married etc etc, this annoys the hell out of me because there are more important issues in the world which goes unnoticed to the general public which they should know, not be fed this celebrity BS.
(But i suppose certain issues dont sell as good)

Anyway thats my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join