It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti-Star Button?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
On this site we have a star button to approve how much we like the persons finding or ideas.

But what if that person has a bad idea? or has wrong or bogus research which TBH I think all of us have come over a thread and been
at the research, idea or even just the overall statement that the OP is making.

So why can't we have an anti star button?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

Maybe because the anti-star button would encourage griefers and trolling? Although I hear you, sometimes I want an anti-star button too.
edit on 12-5-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I've been on sites where the reputation system had negative points.

All it did was encourage trolling and the cliques to zap a person just for having a different opinion.

For example, whenever a Christian laments that they are being victimized about their rights are being taken away an a non believer points out the facts that their rights are not being taken away, the Christians would gang up on that atheist and zap him or her with negative reputation. There are already trolls harassing atheists in some threads now.

But some atheists would do the same thing in retaliation.

So no, I do not support negative reputations systems.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is a terrible idea 10 anti-stars for you

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This idea shows up on a fairly regular basis here. The answer is always the same. ATS would rather use positive reenforcement than negative reenforcement, for the reasons listed by posters above. you can now un-flag a thread you grown disaffected with, but you cannot unstar a post and there are no negative stars. It's a done deal. Use the search function to find previous extensive discussions on this very topic.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well instead we get a chance to tell the OP why their thread was bad, stupid, or whatever and if we need to express our distaste further we have little emo-cons that let us vent or laugh at the post.

I think anti-stars would be abused by people with an ax to grind against their foes.

Stars are important to a lot of posters and getting a thread with 201 anti-stars is enough to give someone a bad day. Kinda like the whole world is against you. I wouldn't want someone to take out their anti-star tallies sentiments on another person or perhaps do something really stupid like kill themselves.

Let's just leave it at bashing. Anti-stars would promote negativity, which is not in short supply here as it is.

I can't believe I actually posted all that.

edit on 5/12/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: change something

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
dumb comments don't get stars, I like it like that.

new topics

top topics

join