It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter users given legal warning in Britain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
that's the point.

on youtube i could comment like a drunken sailor and post the most racially offensive remarks i can think of.

yet here you'd get banned.

there are many things out of bounds.

but swearing shouldn't be one of them.

it's hypocritical to ban or arrest someone for posting something that in all likely hood would carry no penalty if said out loud, in private or even to the crown attorneys or prosecutors face.

basically what they're criminalizing is writing.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

- Some 17 arrests have been made in connection with the alleged naming on Twitter of the woman that Wales footballer Ched Evans was last month convicted of raping.

17 people arrested because someone's name was admitted?
Wow, they will go to any length to hide the Truth.

What if some of those 17 people get raped in prison?
That means the government policy actually promotes more rape than would have happened in the first place.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
no free speech on twitter then... what one finds offensive another might not... time to get rid of my twitter i think

All for free speech, just it intrudes on others and causes problems, the line has been crossed.
Nobody has the right to say untrue/bigoted/racist etc things to anyone.
IMO

Shaun

Except unless you are Louis Farrakhan, Jeremiah Wright,...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
If this was implemented everywhere, I can guarantee that LEO's all over the planet would be misinterpreting half the things people say online to prop up their need to justify a law like this.. They would do this purposely, just like they already are with other things..

For example, the idiot teacher at a school who calls the terrorist squad in because a little boy brought a 1/2 inch toy gun to school, or drew a picture of a knife..

Practically every single law today is abused like this.. It is the best money maker for people without morals or conscious about their fellow humans..

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Twitter has seriously gone down the pan. Made a thread about trending topic censorship that I saw earlier : www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-5-2012 by robhines because: typo

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
ATTENTION! "Free Speech" doesn't mean saying whatever you want whenever you want it with no impunity regardless of the implications.

Only pubescent children think otherwise.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
You sign a T&C when you sign up for Twitter. You are using another "person's" platform to communicate, so there are certain limitations of "freedom of speech." Although I personally have a problem against this whole ordeal, the law is the law. Like COME ON, who is actually surprised by this happening? If you sign up for something like this, especially when you know people can look at your twitter and see what you are writing, take it upon yourself to read the terms and conditions.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
police state v2

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I heard the officer, who said that warning, sucks $%%^ for a part time job. And he bangs the queen on his days off.

good thing I don't live in britain, but the ATS mods might get me....

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

Originally posted by RicoMarston
reply to post by elevenaugust

scary. how can you regulate a 140 character profile post? if i want to go on twitter and spew libelous garbage, that's my choice. just like it's everybody else's choice to follow me or not. maybe if there was clear evidence that your post led to violence or crime, then MAYBE this could be justified. but honestly, I feel like law enforcement has better things to spend the public's money on than cruising twitter for sh#t-talkers. even in Britain!

what you communicate online is no different from what you would communicate publicly in person, only the racists are afraid of laws like this.

I don"t Twit or Tweet, So screw yourself for bringing race into the mix. What a cheep shot.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
I will give a trillion pounds to anyone who can prove I wrote this post...any takers? I thought not... How can anyone prove I personally as the account holder wrote this? Perhaps I'm actually the brother of the account holder, or the father, or maybe the account is shared by the whole family. Perhaps a friend is using my account.

Wow. And there for a second I thought I was the only one who saw that. Add to those scenarios the possibility of someone 5,000 miles away writing something for me. I could sign off in 5 minutes, phone a friend in Greece and ask him to pick up where I left off. Different laws for different countries. Thank God the ATS T's and C's are universal huh?

You know what you can't hide though?.....................................................(3:33 in the song)

youtu.be...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Sometimes it's easy to forget that England doesn't have an equivalent to America's First Amendment. Not all Western industrialized countries have freedom of speech; and government censorship of this basic human right is not limited to Islamist theocracies and communist countries. Many people in the US mistakenly view the UK as just a smaller version of the US with the same freedoms, and don't realize that its actually one of the most totalitarian countries in the world.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Wonder what David Icke is saying?

here is some contraband , don't tell her majesty you seen it, or tweet it...

Google Video Link

THE EMPIRE OF "THE CITY" (World Superstate) part 1.avi
2:23:30 - 4 years ago
City of London + City of Vatican + City of columbia are the 3 independant states within states wich composes the empire of the city. The first is financial control over earth economy, the second is religion control over the earth and the third one is military control over the earth. Together they make the very unholy trinity which forms the egyptian pyramid that we can see on the back of the privately owned federal reserve note that is used as american dollar to maintain the colony in debt and under the Queen. Many people realize that this mystifying situation, in which an alleged democratic and self-governing nation is actually controlled against the will of the people, is a clear indication that there must be a very powerful and well-financed occult organization which plans and directs world affairs, and for lack of a more specific identification thie suspected secret organization is popularly referred to as the International Financiers, Banksters cartel or "The Crown corporation".
Embed video
Report problem
Playlist: Related videos

[The Money Masters - How International Bankers Gained Control of America]
The Money Masters - How International Ba... 3:35:19 - 5 years ago video.google.com
[Atheism: Jonathan Miller's Brief History of Disbelief - Shadows of Doubt]
Atheism: Jonathan Miller's Brief His... 59:03 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[Politics - The Power of Nightmares, (Part 1/3), “Baby it's Cold Outside“]
Politics - The Power of Nightmares, (Par... 59:12 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[Absolute Zero - The Conquest of Cold]
Absolute Zero - The Conquest of Cold 59:02 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[ENDGAME- ALEX JONES - Blueprint for Global Enslavement]
ENDGAME- ALEX JONES - Blueprint for Glob... 2:19:29 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[OUTFOXED : Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism]
OUTFOXED : Rupert Murdoch's War on J... 1:17:41 - 5 years ago video.google.com
[Congressman Ron Paul: The Korelin Economics Report]
Congressman Ron Paul: The Korelin Econom... 21:35 - 5 years ago video.google.com
[Apple Macintosh 1984 Superbowl Commercial]
Apple Macintosh 1984 Superbowl Commercia... 00:59 - 7 years ago video.google.com
[The Plot to Overthrow FDR]
The Plot to Overthrow FDR 42:59 - 5 years ago video.google.com
[The Betrayed: (Armenian Genocide documentary)]
The Betrayed: (Armenian Genocide documen... 42:56 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[Controlling Our Food]
Controlling Our Food 1:48:57 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[EW TV Review: "Boardwalk Empire"]
EW TV Review: "Boardwalk Empire&quo... 1 year ago watertown.ynn.com
[IRON MAIDEN - MOTHER RUSSIA]
IRON MAIDEN - MOTHER RUSSIA 05:25 - 2 months ago krasview.ru
[T. Rex - Born To Boogie]
T. Rex - Born To Boogie 38:44 - 3 years ago video.google.com
[Zeitgeist Addendum]
Zeitgeist Addendum 2:03:06 - 3 years ago video.google.com
[le_monde_selon_monsanto.avi]
le_monde_selon_monsanto.avi 1:51:07 - 4 years ago video.google.com
[Islam: Empire of Faith -Part 1]
Islam: Empire of Faith -Part 1 54:55 - 6 years ago video.google.com
[Islam: Empire of Faith - Part 2]
Islam: Empire of Faith - Part 2 52:11 - 6 years ago video.google.com
[Britain.(14).The.empire.of.good.intentions.avi]
Britain.(14).The.empire.of.good.intentio... 58:58 - 3 years ago video.google.com
[India: The Empire of the Spirit]
India: The Empire of the Spirit 51:49 - 4 years ago video.google.com

H
edit on 13-5-2012 by earthinhabitant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
no free speech on twitter then... what one finds offensive another might not... time to get rid of my twitter i think

While I have an account, I've never used it extensively. Twitter is a corporate usurper of the ircII protocol.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Wow ATS. The knee jerk reactions in this thread are one of the reasons I rarely comment but this sort of annoyed me.

The OP clearly mentions 3 incidents where the law has been broken: Racial hatred and abuse / slander / naming a rape victim who should have lifelong anonymity under Brit law.

This does not mean Twitter is now being scoured for any excuse to arrest you. It simply means that if what you say breaks the law, be it in the real world or in the digital realm, you will be held accountable.

Fair enough, I say.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I feel that almost anything short of a direct threat to someone's personal rights should be acceptable, whether online or offline. Regarding situations like libel, or insulting someone or accusing someone of wrongdoing, etc., I feel that there should be a distinction between an opinion and an allegation.

If I said "I think Obama is killing kittens in the White House", I do not see how that could be anything other than a personal opinion, and since it does not affect anyone's personal rights, it should not be a problem. But if I said "It is a documented fact that Obama kills kittens in the White House", then I could see how someone may want to sue me for slander, since I am trying to convince others based on opinion, but I am presenting that opinion as fact.

I'm not really sure how it works in the justice system, in America or Britain, but this is how I think it "should" work. And for the record, I have no idea if Obama even has kittens in the White House...lol.Maybe not the best example, I admit, but I think it served its intended purpose.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
There is no such thing as free speech, not even here on ATS. There are rules everywhere we go and if we decide to break those rules (as many of us do every day) then we should be prepared to accept the consequences.

It's not like we're all 5 years old after all, so surly we should be capable of censoring ourselves as and when required? And by doing so, we could have more constructive conversations that don't revolve around sensationalism and rumour mongering.

I do not argue against the need for self-restraint. I do argue against said restraint being applied, and enforced, by the government.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston
reply to post by elevenaugust

scary. how can you regulate a 140 character profile post? if i want to go on twitter and spew libelous garbage, that's my choice. just like it's everybody else's choice to follow me or not. maybe if there was clear evidence that your post led to violence or crime, then MAYBE this could be justified. but honestly, I feel like law enforcement has better things to spend the public's money on than cruising twitter for sh#t-talkers. even in Britain!

Apparently in Britain there are laws which put a certain kind of speech under penality. With Twitter it just becomes more obvious.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is not saying there is no free speech on twitter.

it is just saying that If you are stupid enough to commit a crime such as slander, racial abuse , enciting racial hatred or admiting to crime then you will be charged like you would if you were caught any other way, which is fair imo ... just because its online it doesnt mean its fair game to be used to commit crimes against people!

I love (sarcasam) how certain sites spin these stories to make it seem that our civil liberties are being robbed when its just laws that have been about for a long time not being enforced on twitter ... and to be fair if people are stupid enough to commit these crimes on twitter, which will be there forever as evidence against them, then they deserve to get into trouble!

this is NOT an attack against free speech, we can all still say whatever we want, just like in life outside the internet, but now just as outside the internet if we try to make someones life hell by making up lies against them or generaly try to make someones life hell online we will be treated like everyone else offline!
edit on 13-5-2012 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
What a buffoon. Grieve's statements are as comedic as his face.

If these lunatics can control the way people breathe, they would.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join