It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Same Sex Marriage A Government Or Religious Issue? How Do We Untie This Knot?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Same-sex marriage should not be allowed, plain and simple. It's a scheme to undermine society not to mention it's visually and ethically an aberration to say the least. The helpful stooges who advocate it ought to see the light of day or get a lead pipe slammed on their ( already ) damaged heads.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalk
Same-sex marriage should not be allowed, plain and simple. It's a scheme to undermine society not to mention it's visually and ethically an aberration to say the least. The helpful stooges who advocate it ought to see the light of day or get a lead pipe slammed on their ( already ) damaged heads.

In attempts at a rational discussion, I ask you this: Why shouldn't it be allowed? Is this a stated point of view from your own personal viewpoint? If so, is it because of your religious upbringing?

Please mind you, I ask for sake of discussion and understanding and not because I want to berate or slight your views. Though I find it interesting that you utilize a very graphic innuendo...

Post Script
While I know your post was a "drive-by" posting -- it leads me to curiosity of such a question....

You stated that same-sex marriage should not be allowed -- I ask you, who are you to dictate who others live their lives?
edit on 13-5-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Really, who cares about this crap? This is stupid.

Is this really something the government should be concerned with?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

Such attitude is what led to this point -- passing off "stupid" questions of society and handing the political power we all inherently retain to the politicians.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by RSF77

Such attitude is what led to this point -- passing off "stupid" questions of society and handing the political power we all inherently retain to the politicians.

I don't think so, let them be legally bound, call it something other than "marriage" if it makes the religious fanatics happy, who really cares and what difference does it make gays or no gays? This is a free country and people will do whatever they want, I think there is much more important # going on than homosexuals.

None of this stuff really matters, it's team propaganda.
edit on 13-5-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
i believe its a biology issue

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Same sex marriage is sick and perverted, and should be vehemently opposed wherever it manifests itself.

Enough said

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's a government issue. Without the government recognizing marriage, why get married? Two people can live together for the rest of their lives and have children without getting married. But officially recognized marriage gives legal benefits that only living together doesn't.

The only religious connection is if the couple gets married in a church. I think churches should have the right to not marry two people of the same sex if it is against what they believe in, but marriages performed by a justice of the peace should be completely legal across the U.S. That being said, I believe it to be a state issue. But all states should get with the program and recognize it.

/TOA

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by chemistry
Same sex marriage is sick and perverted, and should be vehemently opposed wherever it manifests itself.

Enough said

OK...why is it that people care so much about other peoples business. I am a Straight Alpha Male and Love everything about Women but as far as this issue is concerned...what are some people so threatened by?

I live in Mass. where Gay Marriage is legal and there has been no problems. The World didn't end.

We are all Female in the Womb until certain Hormones change us to be Male or not. In some cases...Genetics determines whether or not a person will be born Gay. This does not mean all Bi-Sexual or Gay people are physically born that way...for some it is a choice but still their genetics have given them the disposition to choose that way along with experience.

The way I look at it is you are one of these people who is Freeking out about Gay Marriage then you are compensating for something you lack. A person who is secure in their sexuality as am I...has no fear or issue about allowing Gay's to marry.

I see them as people just like anyone else who have made a choice that is theirs and theirs alone and since the U.S. has seperation of Church and State....Religious Leaders or people of Faith have no right to judge or force or not allow a right granted to them to not be allowed by anyone else.

I always seem to notice that the people who get so rialed up about issues such as these are very intollerant and propegate fear among others but they are really Cowards as they are the ones afraid....perhaps because they are dealing with Sexual issues of their own. Split Infinity

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by chemistry

Enough said

Your last name wouldn't be Phelps, would it?

Love should be encouraged wherever it manifests itself.

/TOA

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

its only such a big deal because YOU GUYS and the MSM love to make a big deal out of gay relationships.

it does not matter if you are gay or not...

we are all human, with the same capacity for love.

K

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
It's neither, it's an issue between the two partners. Now, having said that, I don't believe we should mandate churches to go against their belief system either.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Makes me sick, not about the same sex marriage...here we are in America home of the coward. We're all worried about if uncle Don will be able to marry his boyfriend of 10 years....INSTEAD of worried about the countless dead people that are coming from wars and the economic crisis. Family's are getting put on the street at an alarming rate yet the country makes a big deal about who they can marry. Pathetic.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Visually and ethically an aberration? According to who? The same society that says its being undermined, that's who. And that is called prejudice.

What it all comes down to really is this:

Marriage is a legal thing. Religious for some yes, if that is their PERSONAL belief. If they dont believe in same sex marriages, then ffs dont do it. BUT it is a legal thing for everyone. The law shouldnt care if two of the same genders marry. Why should it? Are we still at such caveman level of intelligence so that we cannot let two people be together in the same legal sense as everyone else, when it doesnt even matter to yourself?

Regarding it being a "visual" abberation then my advice is - dont stare. You're just going to look like an oogling fool. Or really interested.
edit on 13-5-2012 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Visually and ethically an aberration? According to who? The same society that says its being undermined, that's who. And that is called prejudice.

What it all comes down to really is this:

Marriage is a legal thing. Religious for some yes, if that is their PERSONAL belief. If they dont believe in same sex marriages, then ffs dont do it. BUT it is a legal thing for everyone. The law shouldnt care if two of the same genders marry. Why should it? Are we still at such caveman level of intelligence so that we cannot let two people be together in the same legal sense as everyone else, when it doesnt even matter to yourself?

Regarding it being a "visual" abberation then my advice is - dont stare. You're just going to look like an oogling fool. Or really interested.
edit on 13-5-2012 by merka because: (no reason given)

Excellent post. It's refreshing to know that all is not lost. Sometimes I wonder if these conversations are with real life Americans. I hope the majority of folk back these values, unfortunately I don't believe that to be the case.
edit on 13-5-2012 by macaronicaesar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kluute

its only such a big deal because YOU GUYS and the MSM love to make a big deal out of gay relationships.

It is a big deal because the government in it's ignorance have deemed gay couples second class citizens, not entitled to the same recognition and benefits that hetero couples are.

reply to post by Evanzsayz

here we are in America home of the coward. We're all worried about if uncle Don will be able to marry his boyfriend of 10 years....INSTEAD of worried about the countless dead people that are coming from wars and the economic crisis.

Until only months ago Uncle Don couldn't come home from Afghanistan and openly kiss his boyfriend whom he hasn't seen in months or seek comfort in his arms like his fellow soldiers could with their opposite sex partners. Now Uncle Don after giving years of service and risking his life day after day cannot be married in the same way his fellow soldiers can. The military does not grant spousal status or family housing to same sex unions. Should he leave the military and move to a state that allows same sex unions he and his husband will still not be recognized as a legal couple in all states and not at all by the federal government. So I ask you is it fair that Uncle Don fought for his country but remains a second class citizen?
edit on 13-5-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Marriage as a religious issue depends upon your religious beliefs and that should have no place in law. Marriage as a legal condition is a contract between two adults, binding them economically and should be defined without taking into account the gender of the partners.
We live in a free country that is guided by our Constitutions ( federal and state ) and law, not by religious belief.

What is undermining "marriage" is not homosexuals wanting to be wed. It is the majorities lack of conviction when it comes to marriage and it's vows ( contractual agreement ). People get married on a whim, look at the infamous Las Vagas marriages. Divorces are very easy to obtain also.
It's easier to get out of a marriage contract than a cell phone contract. I say we should make marriage contracts only last for five years w/ option to renew or walk away or make obtaining a marriage license more expensive than a divorce.

Homosexuals are citizens, with the right to love and wed anyone they wish. I am not going to cast any stones at them. Marriage is, after all, a fine institution, but who in their right mind would want be institutionalized??

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Personally, I have yet to understand why two people who love each other are so stuck in their programing that they would actually go to their government and ask permission to make vows to one another.

This is utter stupidity of the highest magnitude.

Do we not remember what marriage "liscenses" were originally issued for?

It was so you had to go to the court house and prove you were of the same race before you took your vows.

Because it was illegal for different races to marry.

Stupid then.

Stupid now.

If you love someone, show it every single day, and you will never have to make a vow. It will be KNOWN.

Damn this is stupid. It is always about treating people as property when you get right down to it.

edit on 13-5-2012 by AManYouALL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
It can't be both.

Why not? Why cannot each couple decide if their marriage is going to include a religious component or not?

Why can't my neighbor, who is very religious, get a state marriage license, take it to his church and have the legal witnesses sign it there and have a legally recognized person perform a ceremony, while I take my license to the woods and have a Justice of the Peace perform a non-religious ceremony for me and my chosen partner (a consenting adult)?

Why can't we have both?

The problem with taking the state out completely arises when we need someone to protect the contract. For example, if the state is not, in any way, involved in marriage, what happens when my husband is ill and I want to see him in the hospital? Only family is allowed... Who is going to protect this thing we call marriage? Who is going to make sure that when my husband dies, all his worth is legally transferred to me? What's to stop his kids from a previous marriage from taking everything and leaving me high and dry?

There's more to consider than just "get the state out of it"! We already have a very reasonable working arrangement. Everyone who is married enters into a state contract. Those who wish add a religious component to their marriage by having a special ceremony... What's wrong with that?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I think marriage between 2 consenting adults should be a personal issue...not a government or a religious issue.

There are some things in life that the government and religion should stay out of and I think marriage is one of them.

There are too many things in peoples personal lives that the government and religion (stick their unwanted noses in) and tamper with peoples personal business...as most of us know this tampering has been going on far too long.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join