It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six-Year Old Raises $10,000 With Lemonade Stand to Pay For Dad’s Cancer Treatment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Seems it's all doom and gloom in the news these days to here a story of a little boys heart warming effort to save his father, It certainly brightened up my day

Six-Year Old Raises $10,000 With Lemonade Stand to Pay For Dad’s Cancer Treatment

amazingnews.org...

Little 6-year-old Drew Cox is one of those kids who take action when the situation calls for it. The oldest of three Cox family kids took it upon himself to help out with his dad’s medical bills by opening a lemonade stand in his hometown of Gladewater, Texas. Not even his parents expected what happened next. His father, Randy Cox, learned earlier this year that he had seminoma, a type of cancer usually found in the testicles. Randy’s cancer, however is not in the testicles but rather in other areas of his body, like the chest. Chemotherapy is expected to treat the cancer successfully. Drew, realizing how important his Dad is to him, decided to help out in the only way a six-year-old could – with a lemonade stand. So on a Saturday morning, Drew set up shop outside the family’s home and began selling lemonade for 25 cents per cup. As word spread about Drew and his efforts to help his dad, people began showing up from dozens of miles away to buy lemonade. One customer was so moved; he left a check for $5,000. When the day came to a close, Drew’s take was more than $10,000 according to his family. A close family friend, Tameka Royal, is also doing her part to help Randy. Royal has been friends with Drew’s mother, Tonya Cooley Cox, since the two attended dance class at age 6. She became friends with Randy when they met in high school. Learning of her friend’s cancer, Royal wanted to do something, too. She created a website account for taking donations to help the family, www.giveforward.com/randycox.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
That kid is perfect and amazing.
When kids take control beautiful things happen all the time, thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

With a kid like that you know Dad's going to be just fine

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I trust all the proper permits were gotten and all applicable fees paid?

If profits not taxed then the stand was a verified non-profit?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
amazing, hope the feds dont hear about this and tell me its illegal to sell lemonade outside his house.
its happened before

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
So he didn't really raise 10.000 Dollar on his own, but rather, the story of his father became publicly known and people just gave away their money. One even 5000 Dollar.
So it's not "ooooh how cute the kid made a lemonade stand to raise money" but rather "they told everyone the cancer story" and people just gave away their money out of goodwill.
So what's so special about it?
Everybody can do this, saying "Oh this bad thing happened to me, i need money" and people sure will give it away...even if the story is fake and of course it works better with a child.

Amazing what unimportant stories make the headlines in this weird world

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

And for every awesome story, you get several of these (which are just a few of the lemonade stands shut down in the last 16 months):

Another one's Gone

and another one's gone...

..another one bites the dust

I would love to see the numbers on health issues that arise from these stands and the number of accidents caused to children and adults (separately) for the last 70 years... just out of sheer curiosity, of course.

I want to sensationalize the news; "Lemonade Stands: Nature's Land Shark or Thoughtless Mobile Virus Unit?"

Sharks are only like what, 7 a year? I have to imagine kids are clumsier than that.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Are you advocating overcomplicating life?!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

What a downer you are!!!

How can you say that what this kid did didn't help?! I think it helped 100%. It's nice to see something encouraging in the news besides grown men acting like high school kids running for office or doom and gloom.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

My point exactly but Some (Not mentioning any names) are insistent on putting a negative play on a positive story.
I would like to see any of these negative pansy's go and tell the Kid to his face that his efforts were useless and he didn't help his father at all.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Reply to post by AussieAmandaC

That is life. Equal oppression for all.

Is it fair that this kids stand be lauded by all when another kids stand is shut down by the state to lack of permits?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is a lovely story. I must admit though, I half expected to read that some overzealous LEO had banged the kid up for not having hygiene certificates and the proper permits. lol

Rev

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Sorry, I just don't find this heart warming. I find it a pathetic indictment on our culture ands society that a little child basically has to beg the public for donations to deal with a medical emergency. ...and we even think it is cute. Its awful and we shoul all be ashamed.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Reply to post by AussieAmandaC

That is life. Equal oppression for all.

Is it fair that this kids stand be lauded by all when another kids stand is shut down by the state to lack of permits?

We aren't even allowed to do this anywhere here either, you stating it as so, will not necessarily be the way it will end up.
Good on him for doing it any way.
Having said that good medical is had by majority in this country without begging borrowing and stealing.
you sounded resigned, it's sad.

Equal for all would be much better

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

lol, don't worry, I bet the IRS leeches get onto this family and tries to make them pay taxes on that 10K.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

as has been pointed out on these boards
child is a minor and thus can not legally enter contracts
efforts by local government to force kid into getting a permit are therefore ILLEGAL and family could sue

additionally in this case most of the "income" are actually donations.

you and "mobile virus unit"
seriously need to have your teeny tiny little worlds rocked

unless you're actually an U.L.B., in which case,
may you enjoy some testicular [or ovarian] cancer yourselves

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

You didn't think I was serious about it being dangerous, aye?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
Sorry, I just don't find this heart warming. I find it a pathetic indictment on our culture ands society that a little child basically has to beg the public for donations to deal with a medical emergency. ...and we even think it is cute. Its awful and we shoul all be ashamed.

I 100% agree. I'm sure the little boy was sweet but I get the same feeling as when I saw little children begging on the streets of Mexico trying to sell little packs of gum.

As more and more safety nets get cut, you will see more of this behavior. Why is better (financially or ethically) to have children begging for medical services than it is to have it come from taxation?
edit on May 12th 2012 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollowguardian

L
L
we really need better emoticons on the interwebz
to make up for lack of non verbal cues
the sarcasm one in particular

perhaps "feelies" [ a la "brave new world"] will be coming out soon
lol hope not though, as trolls would really be able to "feed"

on topic:
if the kid hadn't set up the stand
maybe $10,000 wouldn't have come his way.

edit on 12-5-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed italics

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Poor little kid, now on top of his dad's cancer he owes the government about $3000 for taxes on his sales.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Poor little kid, now on top of his dad's cancer he owes the government about $3000 for taxes on his sales.

Well, SOMEONES gotta pay for the permanent vacation of the ADULT slackers on long-term welfare in this country!!

Its just too bad that the funds have to be TAKEN from decent folks such as a HARD-WORKING and MOTIVATED 6 year old...

... and given to able-bodied ADULT SLACKERS to pay for their UNEARNED life-time vacation.

edit on 12-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join